RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

replaced knock sensors now having shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 07:05 AM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default replaced knock sensors now having shifting issues

Good morning,
I have a 2002 RX300 had a code P0330 knock sensor left bank. The SUV ran fine the problem that I had was the transmission wouldn't shift into O/D and was in limp mode because on knock sensor issue. So I replaced the sensors and wire harness. Now when I start it it runs ruff for a few seconds and kills but if I give it a little gas and bring up the RPM for a few seconds it will idle fine. When driving transmission shift point don't seem right. Example in first gear it goes higher RPM before shifting and shifts hard really hard then while in 2nd just for a little bit it will shift down to 1st and rev very high and act like there is a rev limiter kicking in. but I can get it to shift through all gears now. there are no codes from the ECM and I just can't seem to see what I am over looking. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them. This is a car that I bought for my son and now he is driving mine till I get this figured out.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-23-20, 08:24 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

If you can confirm which process did you follow, we can give better advice.

If you went the full 9 yards, by removing the intake ... 7-8hrs of work ,,, usually something was not put back right ... vacuum hose disconnected or on the wrong nipple. Ground wire left dangling.

Salim
Old 11-23-20, 09:58 AM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

I did take both upper and lower intake off and removed throttle body install both knock sensors and wiring harness with new gaskets.
Old 11-23-20, 09:59 AM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

yes did the full 9 yards
Old 11-23-20, 10:10 AM
salimshah

Check for ground wires between the firewall and the intake. You will have to feel your way as you can't see them.

Also go over all hoses and connectors.

Salim
Old 11-23-20, 05:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

+1, on the ground wire - almost guarantee it's that (based on personal experience )
Old 11-29-20, 08:20 AM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone sorry I haven't posted results sooner. I got the RX300 back in the garage to check things out and here is what happened. started up and ran just a little rough for just a few seconds. by the time I got it inside had check engine light and the VSC light were on. Hooked up scanner and had 5 codes, 2 multiple misfires and misfires on cylinders 2-4-6. Now I did replace the 2 cam oil solenoids last spring and they have been fine since I replaced them. No for the strange stuff. After checking to see if vacuum lines and grounds were hooked up correctly and erasing codes started motor and now the idle seems to be the way it should. took it out for test drive and the hard shifting and down shifting and over reveing seemed to have gone away and it did not trigger any lights but here is a new problem that seems to had appear. When shifting to the next gear it does a light double surge just before the shift. At least the other problems seemed to have gone and the question I have is since I didn't find any physical things wrong what are the chances that the ECM might be going bad? Or should I try to reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery and connecting the battery cables together? I am hoping someone might of had similar issues and have some ideas on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!
Bob
Old 11-29-20, 10:20 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by markrob76
Hello everyone sorry I haven't posted results sooner. I got the RX300 back in the garage to check things out and here is what happened. started up and ran just a little rough for just a few seconds. by the time I got it inside had check engine light and the VSC light were on. Hooked up scanner and had 5 codes, 2 multiple misfires and misfires on cylinders 2-4-6. Now I did replace the 2 cam oil solenoids last spring and they have been fine since I replaced them. No for the strange stuff. After checking to see if vacuum lines and grounds were hooked up correctly and erasing codes started motor and now the idle seems to be the way it should. took it out for test drive and the hard shifting and down shifting and over reveing seemed to have gone away and it did not trigger any lights but here is a new problem that seems to had appear. When shifting to the next gear it does a light double surge just before the shift. At least the other problems seemed to have gone and the question I have is since I didn't find any physical things wrong what are the chances that the ECM might be going bad? Or should I try to reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery and connecting the battery cables together? I am hoping someone might of had similar issues and have some ideas on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!
Bob
You can reset the codes or reset all by disconnecting battery for about 20 mins [when you were doing the spark plugs and or the knock sensor] you would have [or should have] removed the battery. As long as you don't see the CEL, give it a bit of time to learn. If you are new to RX, the top gear is locked out till the engine+ transmission reach the required temperature. So try not to exceed 3K rpm till engine and transmission reach operating temperature [idleling to warm up does not heat transmission].

Salim
Old 11-29-20, 12:56 PM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the quick reply will give that a try and let you know how it went.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-30-20, 03:53 PM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

well disconnected the battery ran jumper wire between cables for a couple of hrs and then reconnected the battery and took out for test drive. shifts hard into 2nd and surges a couple of times before going into 3rd. put gear selector in 2nd and shifted a little better but when put into drive have surging issue before the shift. Also when flooring it to check out passing gear motor revs high but it doesn't seem like the trann is engaged but as so as I let off the gas the tranny feels like it shifted. Any ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-30-20, 04:23 PM
salimshah

What is the warmup idle? Should be around 750.

Salim
Old 12-02-20, 01:53 PM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

Ok just checked idle speed this is what I have

Cold in park 1500rpm In gear around 1100
Running temp in park 690rpm In gear 585-592rpm

Drove it to get up to running temp still shifts hard and after shift surges and feels like it down shifted

Do you think I should tear it back down and try agian with another new gasket set? I did use a felpro intake set and throttle body gasket.

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-02-20, 02:43 PM
salimshah

At this time I don't think your problem is with the engine.

If your engine idles fine and as you gas in park or N it responds fine then the problem is with the tranmission or engine under load. If it is an issue around shifting then more so with the transmission.

There still might be an issue with ground connection or pinched wire which is causing the transmission to not behave.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
markrob76 (12-02-20)
Old 12-02-20, 02:52 PM
markrob76
Driver School Candidate

Well I think I'll pull it back down and double check my work. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks again for all your input!!

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-02-20, 04:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Hi Bob,

If you have a scanner can you please post your live data(including fuel trims) after vehicle warms up to operating temp.

Quick Reply: replaced knock sensors now having shifting issues