RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1999 transfer case toast

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 08:01 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 transfer case toast

Well ptu finally died locking up the wheels at about 20mph right after I got off the highway. At least I am 99.9% sure its ptu since as soon as I went to check under vehicle there was smoke coming from the cooling fins on the ptu case, and it has oil so it must have been boiling. I made a 12 mile round trip with it and am lucky that it locked up on a side road shortly after coming off highway.

Odometer is currently at 111k and I am trying to figure out if I should attempt to replace it myself or part ways with it.

I had changed the ptu gear oil 3 times since I owned it, drove it approx 30k miles in that time since I purchased this rx but it didn't do much to keep it from dying.

Engine is still original other than new valve cover gaskets, plugs, ocv valves etc, but trans was replaced by lexus sometime just before I purchased it about 2006ish. Trans currently has about 50k miles with 3 fluid/filter changes, it shifted smooth and always had bright red fluid in it since I've owned it. Paint is peeling on hood and roof. I am trying to find a way to efficiently get it fixed as it really isn't worth much in running condition even less now, but still have hope that I do find a way to fix it.

I have tried to find anything on YouTube to attempt it but there isn't much that is going to help me, the closest I got was a 2006 sienna video but it isn't clear enough for me to tackle this. An attempt at repairing it myself would be done on a concrete driveway using floor jack stands so don't know if it will be high enough to get it all apart.

I have some time to figure out if repairing will be an option but knowing the state and age of the rest of the vehicle would you guys attempt to fix it. I loved to drive this car locally and it is what I needed it for, those quick grocery trips.

Anyone have any experience in removing the transfer case with some advice/help guiding me through this would be much appreciated.

Old 01-11-21, 08:54 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Start by doing a fluid check and it might be worth topping up and seeing where the leak is. Also check the condition of the fluid and see if there are metal pieces floating around. A more detailed analysis can be done by opening top the pan and you have a choice to have the vehicle looked at by a shop.

There are so many variables and the only person who can eliminate cant-do/won't-do from the list.

things like:
Your skill level ... speaking for myself as an example, I can potentially replace but have no skill in rebuilding a trans.
Tools: Translift, building a scaffold.
Environment: NJ should be pretty cold to work next few months. Your neighbors may have an issue with vehicle on scaffold.
Current worth of the vehicle as is; wroth after repairs, cost of repairs. [start by using what is your estimated value and then do a sanity check] --> $ & sense

If do decide to sell, you can use the Market place forum. It has some restrictions, but keep in mind you can not post for sale items here in model forum.

Salim

Old 01-11-21, 09:30 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

I just came back from seeing the rx and left it running for a little while as I don't want the battery to die, been 3 days since this happened. It is parked on a vacant lot I have on a concrete drive so there is plenty of room to work on it if I can come to my senses to whether or not to tackle it myself.

I may have access to a portable lift but it has been left out in the rain with weeds growing all around it from the owner not keeping it in check so not sure if the electric parts of it even work.

Yes it is cold here in Central jersey and is going to get even colder in the coming days so definitely not going to tackle it until weather warms up. Will probably go and pull battery out to keep on tender until I find a solution

I drove it back and forth today slowly and it will move just like nothing is wrong but i know soon as it picks up speed it will lockup again. It's not the greatest looking exterior because of the peeling clear coat but I still enjoyed driving it for quick runs and do hope that selling it for parts will be my last option. I can get as far as pulling the axles/driveshaft but then finding a way to get the ptu apart from trans is another story without guidance.

I have been trying to find a mobile mechanic as well that may be more affordable but seems that most I come across only do things that just about any backyard mechanic can do.

Old 01-12-21, 06:37 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Sorry to hear about your transfer case.
From what you say the fluid was topped off so any ideas why it was overheating and boiling?
Any symptoms, noises, vivrations or early warning signs you can remember?
PS- I'm big fan of the King Ranch F-250 in your signature now that's a truck!
Old 01-12-21, 08:33 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by Margate330
Sorry to hear about your transfer case.
From what you say the fluid was topped off so any ideas why it was overheating and boiling?
Any symptoms, noises, vivrations or early warning signs you can remember?
PS- I'm big fan of the King Ranch F-250 in your signature now that's a truck!
I had changed oil right when I purchased it and 2 more times thereafter, last time being about 5k miles/3 years ago, first drain was very dark almost sludge. I refilled with full synthetic each time.

I didn't drive it much but it was my go to vehicle when I needed something local within a few miles. This last 12 mile round trip was the furthest longest I had taken it out for in quite a while but driving the local runs I was already hearing some light humming that I could not clearly figure out where it was coming from but now I do. At first I was thinking a wheel bearing but now it has to be a ptu bearing that finally possibly shredded and gears in there jumped one another creating the lockup.

I had just done a trans drain/filter change a few weeks ago trying to see if the humming had something to do with the trans but definitely not, magnets inside pan had just a light dusting that cleaned up fast and fluid was still a nice red with no metal fragments to be found. I already checked the fluid again to see if I notice any debris on the dipstick but it comes out clean, only way to really check it is to drop the pan again but don't see a reason to right now.

Didn't realize the signature shows the truck info, I'm using phone for this and it doesn't show anyone's signature. Guess it comes up when using a pc or maybe I have some settings off. Now I have to take the King Ranch out for those short trips, it doesn't get used all the much either currently @ 45k miles. Takes forever to get any heat going in the winter with that diesel, if plugged in to electric for 4 hours it will start creating some heat after about 5 minutes idle but without electric probably 30 minutes idle so that is one of the biggest reasons I am missing the rx.
Old 01-13-21, 05:18 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

It looks like this transfer case can be bought cheap used on ebay and readily available.
Looking at the technical docs it looks like this unit just unbolts as one piece and with some new seals might be doable for DIY.

PS- since you can pull the CV axles it within your ability maybe.

Last edited by Margate330; 01-13-21 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 07:53 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

I've been pricing them on there and have seen them there used anywhere from 100 on up... it'll be like roulette picking one from the bunch. Before I go and order anything I have to make sure I can take it all apart first, once everything is part I can wait for the parts just have to cover everything up from the elements as I wait.

As far as getting the ptu out I have read that the cradle has to be dropped as some bolts are somewhere under the trans or some bracket that is in the way. I have not been able to find much to read about on this specific model. Just trying to get as much information on this as possible so that if I do tackle it I know what to expect. There are some good videos for this model on how to do some things but none for ptu.

I saw an old thread from lexmex that shows some pics showing the trans removal and I am trying to study them to see if I can make it work just for ptu. Anyone know if lexmex still on these forums?

For now I'll keep trying to find more info and hopefully when weather starts getting warmer I'll have a bullet proof plan.
Old 01-13-21, 08:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Try to get hold of factory service manual.

Salim