RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1999 RX300 Cig and Power Outlets No Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 01:25 PM
GeneWAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 RX300 Cig and Power Outlets No Power

Just acquired a 1999 RX300. I have done a lot of research on this in the forum and don't see what will help. The cig lighter and both of the other two power outlets have no power. The two fuses in the dash, behind the coin thing, are both good. The power mirrors work because I had seen a post indicating they may share a circuit with the cig or power outlets. Actually, all other electrical is working fully from what I have found, other than just the D on the dash not lighting up when in Drive. I know that is unrelated but will be working on that after I solve the cig/power outlets. Any advices is appreciated. I have tried to check/search for the ACC Relay (as I saw somewhere this is related) but figured that it would impact other things than the cig/power outlet. I have not pulled them to see if there is some issue with a fuseable link on the back but thought it would be strange for both of them to have that problem as they should be separate based on the separate fuses.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-21, 03:34 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

This is all I have
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
power outlet.pdf (166.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-10-21, 08:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneWAZ
Just acquired a 1999 RX300. I have done a lot of research on this in the forum and don't see what will help. The cig lighter and both of the other two power outlets have no power. The two fuses in the dash, behind the coin thing, are both good. The power mirrors work because I had seen a post indicating they may share a circuit with the cig or power outlets. Actually, all other electrical is working fully from what I have found, other than just the D on the dash not lighting up when in Drive. I know that is unrelated but will be working on that after I solve the cig/power outlets. Any advices is appreciated. I have tried to check/search for the ACC Relay (as I saw somewhere this is related) but figured that it would impact other things than the cig/power outlet. I have not pulled them to see if there is some issue with a fuseable link on the back but thought it would be strange for both of them to have that problem as they should be separate based on the separate fuses.

Thanks in advance.
I see this is your first post soooooo.... Welcome to Club Lexus!

Please let us know how it goes.
With detail posted by maxsteel you should be able to check voltages and let us know what you have going on.
Old 02-14-21, 11:42 AM
GeneWAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixed!

Originally Posted by Margate330
I see this is your first post soooooo.... Welcome to Club Lexus!

Please let us know how it goes.
With detail posted by maxsteel you should be able to check voltages and let us know what you have going on.

Thanks for all the help. The cig lighter ended up being that it was not connected behind the dash. After searching on how to get back there without breaking anything (thanks to this forum!), I found that problem. It looks like when the previous owner had the dashcam hard-wired, those installers only reconnected one of the two connectors that go to the cig lighter. As for the other two power outlets, the adapter I was testing with must have been flaking that day because I pulled out the fuse again to look at it and after putting it back in again, and using a different item to test, they were both working.

Now on to the sluggish passenger side lock actuators and the dropping visors :-) Already found a lot on those problems in the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-14-21)
Old 02-14-21, 12:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneWAZ
Thanks for all the help. The cig lighter ended up being that it was not connected behind the dash. After searching on how to get back there without breaking anything (thanks to this forum!), I found that problem. It looks like when the previous owner had the dashcam hard-wired, those installers only reconnected one of the two connectors that go to the cig lighter. As for the other two power outlets, the adapter I was testing with must have been flaking that day because I pulled out the fuse again to look at it and after putting it back in again, and using a different item to test, they were both working.

Now on to the sluggish passenger side lock actuators and the dropping visors :-) Already found a lot on those problems in the forum.
Awesome job and thank you for sharing your fix!
No worries it happens to us all, don't know how many times I had bad readings checking voltages with my meter to realize my probe wasn't making good contact or I had dying battery in my meter. lol

PS- I replaced my driver side visor with a new one for a decent price on ebay.