RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Noise -> Lost gears -> Would not engage

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 10:06 AM
VanHiest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise -> Lost gears -> Would not engage

Hello! I searched around, but couldn't find quite the symptoms my vehicle shows. If this has been discussed already, please direct me.

The symptoms:
Sudden appearance of consistent, prominent high pitched "buzz" coming out of seemingly the transmission. It would change the frequency with the revs, it would be of a different pitch when in D as compared to R, although engine RPM stays the same.
No CEL, no change in starting or driving behavior otherwise. And we kept driving for 20 or so miles after the first occurrence.
Until a few days later it won't shift into O/D, and then rapidly it would loose 3rd and then 2nd. Finally after stopping it would not engage at all. After engine is restarted the car would drive only for little bit, after which it would struggle to get the correct gear and eventually loose them all. Still no CEL.

What's done so far:
Flywheel checked - no damage observed. Transmission oil pan dropped - only material from normal wear for mileage (~211000 miles) found. Filter is dirty but not clogged. Collected proper amount of ATF, and it smells and looks healthy.

What's the plan for tonight:
Replace the filter, refill with new fluid. I doubt it would fix it, hence asking for an urgent advice.
Old 04-06-21, 12:45 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Redoing the trasnfilter/fill will not change anything. At this time just ensure that the transfluid level is good. My hunch is that the transmission is toast. If you can still drive, take it to a transmission shop of your choice.

CEL is mostly for emission and engine. Very few [overdrive] is checked by the CEL.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (04-06-21)
Old 04-09-21, 10:00 AM
VanHiest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the timely input Salim!
Fortunately the oil and filter change did solve the problem, at least for now.
Made a couple of trips already, and I got all gears and no noise. There is now a slight bump when 2->3 though, but I'm hoping that the adaptation will adjust it out.
I've used Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import ATF (Toyota,Nissan,Honda one).
... I now realized that I retrieved more than expected of ATF from the tranny - with the contents of the pan and the filter it amounted to over 6 quarts. I know that I've put the right amount of fluid last time it was changed about 5 years ago, so my guess is that the excess was displaced from somewhere where it could not be returned due to blockage, for example, and such fluid starvation caused the noise and subsequent failure I've experienced. Just my guess though.
Old 04-09-21, 04:50 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

How to check transmission final fluid level ..

1. Drive around a bit [15-20 mins] to warm up transmission.
2. Park at a level surface.
3. With the engine running, foot on the brake pedal fully depressed, rove the stick shift through all positions and wait at each step for 15 secs.
4. Bring the shifter to Park and keep the engine running.
5. Check the level (dip stick). Wipe as many times as needed to get a clean read [wet all the way across].

* The transmission volume expands quite a bit.Correct level must be maintained ... both low and over-fill are bad.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (04-09-21)
Old 04-11-21, 12:00 PM
bordenj66
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VanHiest
Thanks for the timely input Salim!
Fortunately the oil and filter change did solve the problem, at least for now.
Made a couple of trips already, and I got all gears and no noise. There is now a slight bump when 2->3 though, but I'm hoping that the adaptation will adjust it out.
I've used Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import ATF (Toyota,Nissan,Honda one).
... I now realized that I retrieved more than expected of ATF from the tranny - with the contents of the pan and the filter it amounted to over 6 quarts. I know that I've put the right amount of fluid last time it was changed about 5 years ago, so my guess is that the excess was displaced from somewhere where it could not be returned due to blockage, for example, and such fluid starvation caused the noise and subsequent failure I've experienced. Just my guess though.
Make sure you cycle through all the gears after changing the tranny fluid for even distribution before finally calling fluid level with the dipstick (if not done by exact fluid measurements). I also will use a temperature gun to measure the T of the tranny pan. Mine runs about 130F when fully warm.

Also I have seen before on this board and now religiously let the transmission get good and warm before letting the car exceed 3K RPM.

When my transmission started going on a previous RX, it was 2->3rd gear that most gave me trouble. What you describe as the slight bump sounds very much like what my car was doing.

It is my understanding that the RX transmission can be a trouble spot.

If you are in the Houston area I can recommend a good transmission shop.

Last edited by bordenj66; 04-11-21 at 12:05 PM.