RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

FX vs my RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 03:50 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those placing a high value on reliability, luxury and ride quality the Lexus should be the winner over any of the competing brands. If "sport" and performance is No. 1, the decision becomes a little tougher.
JRB, that was exactly out assessment after driving several competitors' vehicles.

Check out the RX-330 before you buy anything else.
Old 10-07-03, 09:44 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parula

If you were directing you last comment at me, we DID buy the RX330 and my wife couldn't be happier with it. For her it was the perfect choice.
Old 10-08-03, 03:31 PM
parula
Instructor

JRB, it was a general comment, but I'm glad she likes it, great car imo from one test drive!

Wish I had one.
Old 12-31-03, 12:13 PM
RXKen
Driver

JRB,

Have you seen the caddy? It's FUGLY!

Old 12-31-03, 08:48 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Totally agree - way too angular for me. The styling looks disjointed from front to rear. Also don't like the rear view, especially the taillights.

From what I read it's a good performer, though. Gotta give Cadillac credit for that. Overall they are making progress, which is good as the more real competition there is out there, the better.

Still loving my FX45, and my wife feels the same about her RX330. I drove it last night to the dealer for the 5,000 maintenance service, and it felt more responsive than what I remember last time. Nice, smooth power delivery - my main criticism is the transmission shifts are a little slow, even in manual mode. Not a problem in normal driving - just when you're in a hurry!
Old 01-01-04, 07:36 AM
parula
Instructor

JRB, I think I saw a thread on tranny shifting issues for the early 330's, have you had yours checked out? Maybe Lexus is still fine tuning shifting protocols.
Old 01-01-04, 03:41 PM
RXKen
Driver

Originally posted by JRB
Totally agree - way too angular for me. The styling looks disjointed from front to rear. Also don't like the rear view, especially the taillights.

From what I read it's a good performer, though. Gotta give Cadillac credit for that. Overall they are making progress, which is good as the more real competition there is out there, the better.

Still loving my FX45, and my wife feels the same about her RX330. I drove it last night to the dealer for the 5,000 maintenance service, and it felt more responsive than what I remember last time. Nice, smooth power delivery - my main criticism is the transmission shifts are a little slow, even in manual mode. Not a problem in normal driving - just when you're in a hurry!
If you are talking about shifting in the FX45 there is a new engine program for the Q45 that can be applied to the FX45 as well that will change the shifting patterns. We didn't do it to our car, but a couple of people at Freshalloy.com said they had it done and liked the results. I don't have a problem with our engine management and shifting on the FX so I left it alone. The one thing you DO want reprogrammed, however, is your airbags so they meet specs. If you haven't had that done yet they should do it free of charge next time you bring your car in.
Old 01-01-04, 07:15 PM
JRB
Pole Position

If you are talking about shifting in the FX45 there is a new engine program for the Q45 that can be applied to the FX45 as well that will change the shifting patterns. We didn't do it to our car, but a couple of people at Freshalloy.com said they had it done and liked the results. I don't have a problem with our engine management and shifting on the FX so I left it alone. The one thing you DO want reprogrammed, however, is your airbags so they meet specs. If you haven't had that done yet they should do it free of charge next time you bring your car in.
No the slow shifting reference I made was with respect to the RX. Have no such complaints about the engine management or shifting with the FX either.

Two nights ago when I took my wife's RX in for the 5,000 miles service, I again had them try to do the ECM update. The first time they tried (at the 1,000 mile service) they couldn't get it to take - the car would not accept it. Well, the same thing happened again. As before, I had an evening appointment, and their one smart guy works during the day. They called the guy at home, but after about an hour and a half they gave up. I'm going to schedule an appointment with them again, this time during the day, so the one smart guy can work on it himself. I don't understand why they are having this issue with just our car, as they said that they've done it on other owners' vehicles with no problem. I wonder if any were done on the night shift? Anyway, if they can't get the update done, it won't be the end of the world, as there is no real jerkiness or unusual noises to complain about - it's just not as responsive as I would like.

Otherwise, the car has been great and my wife's happy, which is probably the most important thing!
Old 01-01-04, 10:19 PM
nsx01
Driver School Candidate

Default FX45

The FX look like a 4x4 station wagon with hardly no cargo space . If you lower the RX330 and get some 20" wheels and performance tire like the FX I'm sure it could handle better than the Ugly FX. The only thing the FX got is the 345 pony
Old 01-01-04, 11:13 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for one, i think that the performance between the two shouldnt matter seeing as one has 1.2 L more....when lexus gets the HPX or an RX450, then you can do that, but for now, try comparing the 330 to the fx35 and it's more equal
Old 01-01-04, 11:15 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Default Re: FX45

Originally posted by nsx01
The FX look like a 4x4 station wagon with hardly no cargo space . If you lower the RX330 and get some 20" wheels and performance tire like the FX I'm sure it could handle better than the Ugly FX. The only thing the FX got is the 345 pony
Sorry, but the RX will not out-handle the FX no matter how big the tires are. It has a FWD bias and Camry-based platform; the FX has a RWD bias and 350Z/G35 platform. C&D measured the FX45 at .87 on the skidpad vs. a .75 for the RX330. For comparison, the GS300 is .80 and an IS300 SportCross is .82.
Old 01-02-04, 12:04 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: FX45

yea i see my old post is back to haunt me. Comparing any FX with the RX is unfair. Please dont waste any of you people's precious time.

Originally posted by JRB
Sorry, but the RX will not out-handle the FX no matter how big the tires are. It has a FWD bias and Camry-based platform; the FX has a RWD bias and 350Z/G35 platform. C&D measured the FX45 at .87 on the skidpad vs. a .75 for the RX330. For comparison, the GS300 is .80 and an IS300 SportCross is .82.
Old 01-02-04, 09:14 AM
RXKen
Driver

John,

It will always haunt you as long as you have people like NSX01 coming in here trying to stir the pot. What's an NSX owner doing here anyway? I was going to shoot down the ridiculous post, but I see JRB has already taken care of that task, good job JRB!
Old 01-02-04, 10:13 PM
nsx01
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RXKen
John,

It will always haunt you as long as you have people like NSX01 coming in here trying to stir the pot. What's an NSX owner doing here anyway? I was going to shoot down the ridiculous post, but I see JRB has already taken care of that task, good job JRB!
RXKen,

I didn't mean to stir the pot here at CL. I currently own a sc400 as a DD and the X is the weekend car. I still waiting for my RX330 fully loaded from Japan.
Old 01-03-04, 01:19 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: FX owned my RX

Originally posted by JohnsRX
Played with a friend's FX, it has 2 faults: A little wide and theres a big hump for the drive shaft in the rear floor pan area.

Other that that, i dont care what anybody says, the FX is a much better car than my 02' RX AWD. No if, buts and brand name nonsense about it.
I am not arguing here, so dont waste time with your opinion, but if the FX was out when i bought mine, i would never have become a Lexus owner...........................and i would be missing out a LOT!

I believe the FX is an SUV, not a car.

The only two things that the FX does better than the RX is in handling and acceleration, but keep in mind that there are unacceptable trade-offs. The FX handles well, but has a very low driving position (like a Camry station wagon) and a very stiff suspension (for a bone-jarring ride like Kia Sorento.) The FX is fast, but the exhaust and tires are also very noisy. I believe that quietness and comfort are the two key pre-requisites for a luxury vehicle. The FX simply does not qualify to play in this price range. Some FX interior pieces are made of very flimsy plastics, obviously cost-cutting economy car quality. You won't see that in the RX. There are real luxury SUVs, and there are imitations. Choose wisely.

If you can live with the trade-offs, you can of course trade in your RX for the FX if your heart so desires. Keep in mind that you already have the finest SUV on the road. It'd be like dumping Britney Spears for Oprah.

Quick Reply: FX vs my RX