RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door actuator advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 07:51 AM
MtnFrost
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door actuator advice needed

Hi all - I've read here and watched a lot of videos about replacing the door actuators in the first gen RXs. So I was able to get most steps down quickly, until I hit a challenge that is not shown or discussed. So I'm asking those of you here who have done this.

I have freed the actuator and cover from the door connection points, it'll move freely up or down with everything disconnected. But I cannot pull it out. This is the driver's side front door. There is some sort of bar running at a slight diagonal which traps the actuator against the door skin? I believe I *could* unbolt the bar at least at the bottom of the door. What should I do and what should I be mindful of, before I try this?

Thank you
Old 06-29-21, 08:59 AM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MtnFrost
Hi all - I've read here and watched a lot of videos about replacing the door actuators in the first gen RXs. So I was able to get most steps down quickly, until I hit a challenge that is not shown or discussed. So I'm asking those of you here who have done this.

I have freed the actuator and cover from the door connection points, it'll move freely up or down with everything disconnected. But I cannot pull it out. This is the driver's side front door. There is some sort of bar running at a slight diagonal which traps the actuator against the door skin? I believe I *could* unbolt the bar at least at the bottom of the door. What should I do and what should I be mindful of, before I try this?

Thank you
Yeah. Just unbolt that bar , which is a window runner, and let it flop around. Then you can continue your adventure. I have been there many times. Remember how it looks in perspective to the latch assembly. When you get ready to put it all back together, the bar must still be loose for the latch assembly to be reassembled. The next fun part is getting those darned connectors for the locking mechanism to pop in correctly, but I' m sure you'll figure it out
The following users liked this post:
MtnFrost (06-29-21)
Old 06-29-21, 09:09 AM
MtnFrost
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I finished this door and all is working great. I did, however, have trouble once everything was installed with the window not wanting to go down beyond a quarter. Careful double-checking revealed no issue except a bend in the top half of that window runner, where the rubber has no support. I massaged it a bit by unbolting the runner again and sliding the lower metal support on it up and down a bit. Then all was well.

And the remote immediately worked with the door, too. No messing around resetting codes or anything. Now, only 3 more to go. At least I now have the driver and hatch locks done. Those locking door connectors were a challenge for a big guy with meaty hands. But going slow, being patient and not forcing anything got me there.

Last edited by MtnFrost; 06-29-21 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ricco750 (06-29-21)
Old 06-29-21, 03:47 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Good to hear that things went well. Just one careful and do not be in a hurry to attach the panel/cover. Test the lock for couple of days.

Salim