RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P01130 O2 Sensor and P01150 AF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 11:17 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by GXMeister
I ordered the entire exhaust flex pipe... not going to mess around with patching it. Should have it installed by next week this time.

I have 20 pages of Lexus maintenance records on the vehicle and the Bank 1 Sensor 1 was replaced around 50K miles ago.

I am going to hold off ordering those spending sensors until I get the flex pipe installed and clear the codes.
Cool deal, patch might not last anyway, funny thing is we don't have flex pipe on RX330 cuz they done away with it- it's all rigid where the front and back banks connect.

After you fix the exhaust leak the scanner will let you know what to do next as you know and you will be able to trust it a lot more for going forward.
Many videos on you tube about exhaust leaks messing with O2 sensors both at the head(pre-A/F) and at y-pipes(pre-O2), I like watching Scannerdanner sometimes, his work is awesome,
Old 10-05-21, 02:24 PM
GXMeister
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another update. I let the car get down to vapors before adding any gas. The previous owner had let it sit for a long time, so I wanted to start new.

I then put 92 Octane in the fuel take and after about 3 miles.... the CEL and VSC went Off!!!

Old 10-05-21, 10:03 PM
slothman
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I ordered the entire exhaust flex pipe... not going to mess around with patching it. Should have it installed by next week this time.

I have 20 pages of Lexus maintenance records on the vehicle and the Bank 1 Sensor 1 was replaced around 50K miles ago.

I am going to hold off ordering those spending sensors until I get the flex pipe installed and clear the codes.
50k is enough time for a o2 sensor to fail. I noticed you said the light went off. I would just keep driving it to see if the light returns. That code is very specific to the 02 so it is unlikely new gas would fix that. Also check the codes with a scanner. I bet you the code is still present just "pending".
Old 10-05-21, 10:07 PM
slothman
Rookie

also noting, the 92 octane burns slower, and your car is most likely running lean, due to the faulty o2 sensor. the light probably went off because of the higher octane.

If it were were, I would replace the o2. You don't need the "expensive" one, you can buy from Oreilly/autozone/napa etc for half the cost of Lexus/toyota.
Old 10-06-21, 01:40 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RX300 O2 S1 Senor

As several of the regular forum members can see, I have been posting a number of recent questions lately. I have several other Lexus V8s but this little RX300 is new to me. Got it for my son. I am truly amazed at the level of detail and quality that went into this vehicle. My wife had a 2014 RX350 for a few years on a lease, but that car never resonated with me. This little gem, however, is simply well made with a ton of attention to the little details.

The car I acquired has 212K and was for the most part a one/two owner. An elderly woman had it until 189K then gave it to her daughter. I have 20 pages of Lexus service work which I reviewed recently. It has never been in an accident and in very good condition.

I am going through a number of little fixes right now.

The following codes popped up.

1) P0174 was the MAF sensor. It was replaced at around 80K. I took it out and cleaned per all the suggestions. It is not showing the code now.
2) P01130 O2 Sensor ( BANK 1 SENSOR 1) 89467-48011
3) P01150 AF Sensor - ( BANK 2 SENSOR 1)
ARE THESE THE SAME PART NUMBERS?

I just spoke to the Lexus dealer and he said since these are both SENSOR 1s, that these are AIR FUEL SENSORS NOT O2 sensors. Both parts are the same.

The Dealer Sensors are over $300 and some Denso's are about 1/4 that on EBAY, but who knows if they are fake? How important is it to get OEM or can I just order an inexpensive aftermarket? If not is there a lesser expensive solution.

Simply go to eBay and order the Sensors and do not Forget to buy the Special Wrench to remove and install the sensor. It is 1 hour job and you can do it !! Search You Tube to removal and installation of Sensor.
S1
Old 10-06-21, 02:24 PM
GXMeister
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slothman
also noting, the 92 octane burns slower, and your car is most likely running lean, due to the faulty o2 sensor. the light probably went off because of the higher octane.

If it were were, I would replace the o2. You don't need the "expensive" one, you can buy from Oreilly/autozone/napa etc for half the cost of Lexus/toyota.
O2 Sensor? Are you sure?

I thought that both codes suggest (2) AF Sensors; Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1??

Last edited by GXMeister; 10-07-21 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-06-21, 05:29 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Default AF is Air Flow Sensor

O2 Sensor? Are you sure?

I thought that both codes suggest (2) AF Sensors; Bank 1 Sensor ! and Bank 2 Sensor 1??
Search You Tube for the Codes and it specifically show what and where they are !! The Bank 1 Sensor is probably the O2 Sensor in the Back of the Engine !! However, the AF is the one above the Air Filter compartment. Good Luck .. EJ Dossary, EE
Old 10-06-21, 08:18 PM
slothman
Rookie

O2 Sensor? Are you sure?

I thought that both codes suggest (2) AF Sensors; Bank 1 Sensor ! and Bank 2 Sensor 1??
MAF sensor could play a part. I would clean it again, that could only help the scenario. Also .... o2 and AF are basically the same thing. Those codes you have are for UPSTREAM sensors, closer to motor. Order this and replace both upstreams. Battery voltage is also critical for these sensors. make sure your battery is good and has 12.6-12.7 volts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/27256701580...Cclp%3A2334524
Old 10-07-21, 07:10 AM
GXMeister
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=slothman;11140413]MAF sensor could play a part. I would clean it again, that could only help the scenario. Also .... o2 and AF are basically the same thing. Those codes you have are for UPSTREAM sensors, closer to motor. Order this and replace both upstreams. Battery voltage is also critical for these sensors. make sure your battery is good and has 12.6-12.7 volts.]

I am actually not sure what I will do next, other than replace the exhaust flex pipe. My mileage has jumped from the 12's to now over 21 as an average. The vehicle sat for a VERY long time, and as soon as I ran the gas down to fumes, I put in 92 Octane. I ran about 3 gallons with seafoam, then refilled it with 92 again.

Prior to doing any of this, I cleaned the MAF sensor and that code disappeared appeared from the code reader. However VSC and CEL came on, so, cleared them again, only for them to return within a few miles.

Now since having put 92 in and the VSC and CEL disappeared on their own, I have put over 70 miles on it and neither the VSC Or CEL returned.

If I never knew about the previous codes popping up, and just purchased the vehicle, I would have no clue that there "may" be an issue?

Last edited by GXMeister; 10-07-21 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 07:49 AM
ejdossary
Driver

Default AF/O2 Sensors

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Absent a vacuum gauge, you could test as described here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WnM_NsOtd8&t=1397s

Another possibility I suppose is you could still have a MAF problem but it isn't throwing a code.
I think you can test it with an ohmmeter
/o2 Sensor
In any case, go to eBay and purchase both senors (MAF and o2) for lest than $50.00 and install in no time. You Tube posted a Video for Replacing both Senors for RX300. Good Luck,
EJ Dossary, EE
Old 10-07-21, 08:44 PM
slothman
Rookie

[QUOTE=GXMeister;11140597]
MAF sensor could play a part. I would clean it again, that could only help the scenario. Also .... o2 and AF are basically the same thing. Those codes you have are for UPSTREAM sensors, closer to motor. Order this and replace both upstreams. Battery voltage is also critical for these sensors. make sure your battery is good and has 12.6-12.7 volts.]

I am actually not sure what I will do next, other than replace the exhaust flex pipe. My mileage has jumped from the 12's to now over 21 as an average. The vehicle sat for a VERY long time, and as soon as I ran the gas down to fumes, I put in 92 Octane. I ran about 3 gallons with seafoam, then refilled it with 92 again.

Prior to doing any of this, I cleaned the MAF sensor and that code disappeared appeared from the code reader. However VSC and CEL came on, so, cleared them again, only for them to return within a few miles.

Now since having put 92 in and the VSC and CEL disappeared on their own, I have put over 70 miles on it and neither the VSC Or CEL returned.

If I never knew about the previous codes popping up, and just purchased the vehicle, I would have no clue that there "may" be an issue?
you have not fixed the issue. The 92 fuel is only a bandaid, because your car is running lean. Which is a very bad thing. Spend the $50-70 and replace the sensors. 70 miles is not enough drive time for the computer to learn or report info. usually takes closer to 200.
Old 10-08-21, 06:18 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 221 Posts

you have not fixed the issue. The 92 fuel is only a bandaid, because your car is running lean. Which is a very bad thing. Spend the $50-70 and replace the sensors. 70 miles is not enough drive time for the computer to learn or report info. usually takes closer to 200.
At the moment the only thing you know is you may have an exhaust leak. If you do, fix it, clear the codes, and see what happens next.

Don't just start buying parts until you diagnose an issue. When you do buy emissions sensors don't buy cheap ones off ebay.

I'm not aware of a relationship between higher octane and system too lean

Monitor readiness is more complicated than just distance. See: https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/t...ess-procedure/
For some conditions the cycle includes things like idle time and fuel level

Old 10-08-21, 08:51 AM
ejdossary
Driver

Default RX300 O2 and MAF Sensors.

[QUOTE=slothman;11141238]

RX300 will tolerate the 92 Octane for a while. Concur with spending $50-70 on eBay and replace the sensors. Cleaning the MAF will work for a while and code will return ! Good LUCK, EJ Dossary, EE
The following users liked this post:
slothman (10-08-21)
Old 10-08-21, 09:18 AM
greystroke
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW, after having cleaned my MAF Sensor, I have noticed my mileage on the computer has gone from 12mpg to now over 18mpg.

I will let you know if the flex exhaust pipe replacement takes care of my two codes shortly.
Just for your reference. My Front panel Avg MPG reading is 22-24 on the road at 60-65mph. For driving around town it is usually 17. I reset the display when I start on a trip.
Old 10-08-21, 08:41 PM
slothman
Rookie

Originally Posted by maxSteel
At the moment the only thing you know is you may have an exhaust leak. If you do, fix it, clear the codes, and see what happens next.

Don't just start buying parts until you diagnose an issue. When you do buy emissions sensors don't buy cheap ones off ebay.

I'm not aware of a relationship between higher octane and system too lean

Monitor readiness is more complicated than just distance. See: https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/t...ess-procedure/
For some conditions the cycle includes things like idle time and fuel level
his system IS running lean. he has 2 codes for AF sensors, both upstream. I am simply saying to replace those sensors. He said the codes went off with 92 octane. That is possible, because 92 burns slower, therefore stops detonation and knock. I am 90% certain the problem is the AF sensors upstream. If not the sensors, it would be the circuit for those sensors. IE bad wiring or bad ground. If the AF sensors are original, failure is very likely. Not sure why you mentioned exhaust leak ? He never mentioned ticking noise upon cold start. Although the MAF was cleaned, sometimes that will not fix the issue. It is also possible a new MAF is required. I would for sure replace the AF sensors (upstream and indicated by the codes)

Quick Reply: P01130 O2 Sensor and P01150 AF Sensor