RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Normal Operation Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-21, 09:56 PM
silentdub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Operation Question

Troubleshooting a parasitic draw and was wondering:

When you turn the vehicle off and remove the key, do the windows continue to work until say the driver door is opened? I've seen that function on some vehicles but not sure about this one.

The driver door, when opened will not put the 'door ajar' light on but all other doors will.
The power windows remain working when the switch is pressed on all doors. Even when the vehicle is locked with the remote. Nothing else appears to work or stay on, no lights, not even on the door.

99 RX300

Appreciate your feedback.
Old 11-24-21, 12:37 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 220 Posts

The windows continue to work for about 30 seconds or until the door opens, whichever comes first
Old 11-24-21, 12:44 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

I waited for some one more knowledgeable to respond, but since no one did, I will try to do my best and you will have to settle for partial information.

The security system is used to control the sleep mode (my best terminology) and the vehicle goes from active to standby to sleep. Key in ignition and door lock commands play a part in recognizing standby. [Note .. this is my understanding and it might be partially/fully correct.]

The door close position is part of the door lock actuator. As the "U" on the door jamb travels through the door-lock, a switch in the door-lock recognizes the door is completely shut. The door-lock actuator has a separate motor that operates the lock and different set wires go there.

If you hit lock followed by lock (double click), then the vehicle goes into yet another state [I call it armed] else it takes some time [i think it can be programmed by CBest] to get to this stage. In this stage the headlights turn off (auto) and most likely the power windows are deactivated.

If any of the door-lock locking mechanism does not work [lock failed to engage, or the door is open] then the system cycles out of the locking process. I initially suspected this to be your problem. The driver side door is not registering as closed [counter: but then why is the door ajar light not working].

Am I helping or not? I will let you decide.

Salim

PS: While I was composing this note, maxSteel did respond. Thanks max.
Old 11-24-21, 03:06 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,020 Likes on 812 Posts
Default Parasitic Draw

Originally Posted by silentdub
Troubleshooting a parasitic draw and was wondering:

When you turn the vehicle off and remove the key, do the windows continue to work until say the driver door is opened? I've seen that function on some vehicles but not sure about this one.

The driver door, when opened will not put the 'door ajar' light on but all other doors will.
The power windows remain working when the switch is pressed on all doors. Even when the vehicle is locked with the remote. Nothing else appears to work or stay on, no lights, not even on the door.

99 RX300

Appreciate your feedback.
Parasitic draws can be difficult sometimes but they are ALL fixable with grit, patience, and determination- so that's the good news.
Reading many posts of fixes by other members & helping many members with parisitic draws I can say the probability of success is in your favor if you start with first fixing whatever is glitching and not working properly.

The parasitic draws can encompass any module/ecu, switch, corroded connector, etc and the way everything stitches together can be difficut to track down.
-> Anything glitching or not working to spec is suspect first and sometimes by fixing that will cure the parasitc draw- which in your case is the door.

Plz let us know how it goes and post your fix if you figure it out.

Old 11-13-22, 08:02 PM
melac1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I got my gs, the previous owner said he had no power locks for 2 years because he couldn't figure it out. All 4 of the actuators were blown lol.