RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

In Dash Mp3 Player Project Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-06, 07:19 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just pull

all you have to do is basically pull at the bottom of the plastic piece/panel. like where the shifter area meets the plastic frame that the wood grain etc is. it just pulls out, it has clips holding it in. then you will see the bolts under that piece that secure the radio and AC stuff etc. under the stock radio there is a flat metal cross bar, that is what i secured the metal sleave for the aftermarket head unit to slip into. then i cut a space out of the wood grain panel that you just pulled off to fit the face of the radio through and fabricated a plastic panel out of a plastic piece i had removed from the rear cargo area or something, when installin other stuff, to fill the gap where the seat warmer switches used to be, to insure that the plastic all matched. you could leave the seat warmer switches in if you are EXTREMELY precise in cutting the dash panel but i live in south louisiana and as far as i am concerned all the seat warmers did was dis-color the leather anyway LOL.

if ya have any other questions i'll do my best to help out. but i can tell you after 3 months of tracing wires in a tech manual (i am computer science and computer engineering grad) , the only real way to get GOOD sound out of a RX is to not use the factory radio or amp or sub at all. just put aftermarket radio with amps for mid/highs and for subs if you want them as well. the factory speakers are quite good for being factory, but the rest is sub-par. plus if you do not have NAV like mine didnt, the easiest way to add a tft screen is to pull the accessory light panel from the middle roof liner, by where the rearview mirror is, and place a drop down screen there and use aftermarket in-dash radio/dvd unit. i probably will get flamed for that statement, but trust me i tried it all, even tryied to wire into the factory cd changer AUX plug. nothing sounds perfect but doing it right.

thats my 2 cents, hope that helps

disco
Old 04-22-17, 12:05 PM
budapest12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I need an in dash kit

Originally Posted by disco_y2k
hello all, its been a while! i have since bought a 05 tacoma prerunner TRD sport ed. so i don't spend much time with lexus stuff. i did take out all of my A/V equipment to put in the tacoma including the in dash clarion MP3 head unit. i had to buy a new center piece to put the stock radio back in, so if anyone is trying to put an in-dash aftermarket head unit in there RX and would like the pre-modded center piece i had in mine (in all the pics) just shoot me any email or pm and you can have just cover the shipping.

if someone can use it, i am always wiling to support a new project so just let me know1

happy trails to all

disco
how can I get an in dash CD player "kit"