RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX300 is Throwing Multiple Codes... P0300, P0302, P0304, P0306

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-22, 04:20 PM
PeepBisc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I would suggest swapping ignition coils from the good side to the failing cylinders. Also do not reach for any plugs instead stick with OEMs.

Salim

Was finally able to do this today. Swapped coil 2 and 5... no code for 5 and engine slacks / revs when coil clip us removed / replaced.
Old 02-03-22, 04:23 PM
PeepBisc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VannLocz90
​​​​​​
DIrty, clogged fuel injector rail
But would that cause misfires on one bank only? Wouldn't both banks be misfiring if that was the case?
Old 02-03-22, 04:51 PM
PeepBisc
Driver School Candidate

OK ok... one more question and please don't laugh... I'm a female and have never worked on my own car prior to this vehicle so I have a lot to learn... if the fuel injector rail was dirty would that cause the injectors themselves to fail? I'm going to grab an ohm reader in the morning and see if I can test the injectors on bank 2.

As I side note I did fix my own shift cable when it broke on the stick side which I was pretty proud of. Thanks, YouTube for that hack. LOL
The following users liked this post:
AeonFluxDl (02-04-22)
Old 02-03-22, 05:48 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by PeepBisc
OK ok... one more question and please don't laugh... I'm a female and have never worked on my own car prior to this vehicle so I have a lot to learn... if the fuel injector rail was dirty would that cause the injectors themselves to fail? I'm going to grab an ohm reader in the morning and see if I can test the injectors on bank 2.

As I side note I did fix my own shift cable when it broke on the stick side which I was pretty proud of. Thanks, YouTube for that hack. LOL
Your questions are fine. Most people have no idea what an ohmmeter is.

Google for "RX300 diagnostics pdf". Page DI-15 has all the possible causes of misfire, Salim mentioned a number of them. Diagnostic procedure starts on DI-60.
Fortunately it's the easy bank
The following users liked this post:
jeff1a (02-06-22)
Old 02-03-22, 08:19 PM
PeepBisc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel

Google for "RX300 diagnostics pdf". Page DI-15 has all the possible causes of misfire, Salim mentioned a number of them. Diagnostic procedure starts on DI-60.
Thank goodness for small blessings.

Thank you for this tip! I’ve already ready through a lot of it and I definitely have skipped some diagnosis steps! Can’t wait to start tomorrow.
Old 02-04-22, 09:42 AM
PeepBisc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel

Referenced in this diagnostic PDF is " see FI-18" with regard to testing the injectors. Do you happen to know what that PDF is called? I can't seem to find it.
Old 02-04-22, 09:53 AM
AeonFluxDl
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am new to the Rx300's and in no way an expert. That being said, recently I read something similar to your problem and could still be related to your original CEL code p1349. Not sure what solenoids you changed.

If you're lucky its loose or dirty wire plug to the OCV . A dirty OCV will stick and give the misfire codes. Worst case scenario is sludge in your engine clogging the OCV. The person bought an aftermarket OCV and didn't work . He installed an OEM dealer bought OCV and solved his problem.

Hope that helps and don't give up! Perseverance is key!
Old 02-04-22, 09:58 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Originally Posted by AeonFluxDl
I am new to the Rx300's and in no way an expert. That being said, recently I read something similar to your problem and could still be related to your original CEL code p1349. Not sure what solenoids you changed.

If you're lucky its loose or dirty wire plug to the OCV . A dirty OCV will stick and give the misfire codes. Worst case scenario is sludge in your engine clogging the OCV. The person bought an aftermarket OCV and didn't work . He installed an OEM dealer bought OCV and solved his problem.

Yup, Salim also mentioned that: "Since RX has VVT (oil driven advance), getting failure in one bank only points to VVT."

Old 02-04-22, 10:01 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Referenced in this diagnostic PDF is " see FI-18" with regard to testing the injectors. Do you happen to know what that PDF is called? I can't seem to find it.
Electronic Fuel Injection (FI) pdf
Old 02-05-22, 01:32 PM
PeepBisc
Driver School Candidate

I've replaced both solenoids with OEM parts and my mechanic cleaned the filters on them. No sludge for sure.

Interestingly, the 1349 code is the solenoid for bank 1 and I am only getting misfires on bank 2.

Still no clue what's going on.
Old 02-05-22, 01:58 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

It may be obvious, but I have to mention this ... bank1 is the bank near the firewall [1,3,5] and bank2 is towards the radiator [2,4,6]. The location of the OCV based on bank# is/was not obvious to me ... other that there are different part numbers based on position/angle of the mounting bracket.

Salim
Old 02-05-22, 03:48 PM
PeepBisc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
It may be obvious, but I have to mention this ... bank1 is the bank near the firewall [1,3,5] and bank2 is towards the radiator [2,4,6]. The location of the OCV based on bank# is/was not obvious to me ... other that there are different part numbers based on position/angle of the mounting bracket.

Salim
Yes precisely why it was so weird that I was getting the code for the bank 1 solenoid and yet codes for bank 2 misfires.

Regardless, I figured if the bank 1 solenoid was bad then bank 2 might not be far behind and went ahead and replaced both to be safe. Bank 2 was super easy. Bank 1 was harder to get to but not too bad.
Old 02-06-22, 02:02 PM
AeonFluxDl
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless, I figured if the bank 1 solenoid was bad then bank 2 might not be far behind and went ahead and replaced both to be safe. Bank 2 was super easy. Bank 1 was harder to get to but not too bad.
Since you replaced both at the same time could you have installed them in the wrong bank? As Salim mentioned, they have 2 different part #'s for left and right even though they appear to be the same.

Your misfire codes came after you replaced the solenoids. Since you already threw the kitchen sink at it why not just swap them if you're not sure they're in the right bank.
Old 02-06-22, 08:47 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

Since you replaced both at the same time could you have installed them in the wrong bank? As Salim mentioned, they have 2 different part #'s for left and right even though they appear to be the same.

Your misfire codes came after you replaced the solenoids. Since you already threw the kitchen sink at it why not just swap them if you're not sure they're in the right bank.
One can not install the bank1 OCV into the bank2 as mounting tabs are at different angle.. I think scoping is the best diagnose option.

Salim
Old 02-07-22, 01:08 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I pm’ed you, where in Fl are you located approximately?