RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 05:29 AM
mhay
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door Mirrors

My vehicle is a 1998 JDM Toyota Harrier, basically a right hand drive RX300. Since I got it, the door mirror motors on both sides have not worked (not a fuse issue). I was looking on EBay at some used RX300 mirrors. Some mention auto dimming while some don't. Was this an option, or do all of them have it? If it is an option, is the dimming done electronically or is it like those transition glass lenses? Also, do the RX300 mirrors have a motor to fold the mirrors in? Prety much all JDM cars come with this feature, but it doesn't seem too common on cars for other markets. I am wondering if there will be differences in the wiring between the two. I know I will have to switch the physical mirrors due to the LHD vs RHD, but I am hoping the mechanisms are the same.
Old 06-15-22, 08:36 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

No motorized folding for first Gen.

I am venturing an opinion as I have not worked on RX mirrors and what I am stating here is based on Lexus SC. The rear view mirror [center mount] has sensor built it and it sends a wire over the side rear view mirrors. The center and the sides are electronic controlled dimming [what ever that means and however it gets done, but different from mechanical toggle where the angle of the mirror is changed]. This dimming is progressive dimming. So I would suggest start checking the center mount mirror and if it working then trace the wires to the outside mirror.

Salim
Old 06-16-22, 05:15 AM
mhay
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
No motorized folding for first Gen.

I am venturing an opinion as I have not worked on RX mirrors and what I am stating here is based on Lexus SC. The rear view mirror [center mount] has sensor built it and it sends a wire over the side rear view mirrors. The center and the sides are electronic controlled dimming [what ever that means and however it gets done, but different from mechanical toggle where the angle of the mirror is changed]. This dimming is progressive dimming. So I would suggest start checking the center mount mirror and if it working then trace the wires to the outside mirror.

Salim
Thanks for your reply. I have never noticed if the inside mirror is auto dimming. I will need to check. But my issue is with the motors themselves that allow the mirror to be adjusted to your preference. Those don't work. I think I will just go ahead and buy a set of RX300 mirrors and not worry about the retraction feature.
Old 06-16-22, 08:13 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Just to clarify ... the RX sold in US market can have differences with the equivalent sold outside of US. I have seen some first gen in overseas market where the side view mirror was on top of the front tire fenders.

Side mirror folding motor: This option was not offered in first Gen RX. This was offerd in 3rd gen mid 2012 onwards. This folds the side mirrors close to the door.

Mirror Tilt: This allows the mirror to be tilted up/down-left/right controlled by driver side buttons.

Rear-View Mirror: For the self dimming [chromatic] there is a button [middle bottom edge of the mirror assembly] with a green led. Pressing the button activates the auto-dim and the effect is a gradual [3-5sec] in reducing the glare from vehicles behind you. This button also sends out signal to the side view mirrors to self dim.

Hope this helps.

Salim
Old 06-16-22, 12:51 PM
mhay
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Just to clarify ... the RX sold in US market can have differences with the equivalent sold outside of US. I have seen some first gen in overseas market where the side view mirror was on top of the front tire fenders.

Side mirror folding motor: This option was not offered in first Gen RX. This was offerd in 3rd gen mid 2012 onwards. This folds the side mirrors close to the door.

Mirror Tilt: This allows the mirror to be tilted up/down-left/right controlled by driver side buttons.

Rear-View Mirror: For the self dimming [chromatic] there is a button [middle bottom edge of the mirror assembly] with a green led. Pressing the button activates the auto-dim and the effect is a gradual [3-5sec] in reducing the glare from vehicles behind you. This button also sends out signal to the side view mirrors to self dim.

Hope this helps.

Salim
Thanks. Yes, my Harrier has the two door mirrors and a third mirror on the passenger side fender (left fender).

No mirror tilt is my problem. I will take a gamble with the RX300 mirrors.

My rear view mirror definitely has no buttons or LEDs.