RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Just curious what you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-22, 05:51 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just curious what you think

What do you think about this?
(Left) "new" one from salvag(Right) old one

Old 07-04-22, 01:43 PM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I would order a new Denso from RockAuto.
Old 07-04-22, 04:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Sorry about the repost here (saw my bad earlier, got a lot going on right now), but here are the pictures of my A/F sensors before replacing them. This was back in 2010, and they were the original ones and this was probably around 120K miles at that point. This had about 60-70K miles in Mexico and the previous 40K miles (previous owner) in New York. The fuel south of the border was not kind to these sensors.

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (07-04-22)
Old 07-04-22, 04:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Consider yours in good shape.
Old 07-04-22, 06:00 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Sorry about the repost here (saw my bad earlier, got a lot going on right now), but here are the pictures of my A/F sensors before replacing them. This was back in 2010, and they were the original ones and this was probably around 120K miles at that point. This had about 60-70K miles in Mexico and the previous 40K miles (previous owner) in New York. The fuel south of the border was not kind to these sensors.

Wow, those look wrecked!
Is that from bad gas or high miles?

Add- I've never had success cleaning O2 sensors, always replaced.
Old 07-04-22, 06:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Margate330
Wow, those look wrecked!
Is that from bad gas or high miles?

Add- I've never had success cleaning O2 sensors, always replaced.
Bad gas, high sulfur south of the border, combined with high altitude. It got better as time went on.
Old 07-06-22, 08:02 AM
Androman
Pit Crew

Consider yours in good shape.
Interesting, but why the red? It might be hard to see in the pick but one side is red and the opposite side is black, i would assume its from the cats, i smell rotton egg when i get on the highway and i hear em rattling around, trying to figure out why my car knocks, i need to check the other sensor, thats the side that had the knock code before i did the "hack"
Old 07-06-22, 10:32 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by Androman
Interesting, but why the red? It might be hard to see in the pick but one side is red and the opposite side is black, i would assume its from the cats, i smell rotton egg when i get on the highway and i hear em rattling around, trying to figure out why my car knocks, i need to check the other sensor, thats the side that had the knock code before i did the "hack"
This is very interesting as the 'hack' was supposed to ignore signal from a bad sensors and not hide the knocking (if knock was present). In any case the hack was/is for experimenting and not a legal cure.

Salim
Old 07-06-22, 12:49 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
This is very interesting as the 'hack' was supposed to ignore signal from a bad sensors and not hide the knocking (if knock was present). In any case the hack was/is for experimenting and not a legal cure.

Salim
Ok, so we would expect it to keep knocking even though the sensor is bypassed, I'm not 100% sure its "knock" im hearing, it could just be peices of the cat bouncing around when i give it gas, but it does sound like knock, like marbles bouncing around. I understand it's just for experimentation. My cats are either melted and/or breaking apart, think im going to take care of them and change the back sensor hopefully that takes care of the knock.
Old 07-06-22, 04:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Here's the thing, the main cat would throw a different code than one for the two A/F Sensors. That's one thing.

One thing you may not have known about my RX300 is when I was in Mexico, I took out the two precats (remember late 2005) that flowed off each bank, in addition to going to a larger main magnaflow cat below. I never had any issues except for a nice bump in power.

The manual Toyota Solara that ran the 1MZFE engine did not come with precats.

Now, that sensor near the main cat does not figure into anything related to the A/F sensor signals. It is purely to take a look at what is going on with the main cat. That sensor near the main cat could go bust and nothing will happen as far as power or any other issue with the vehicle except maybe spewing emissions if the main cat is indeed a bust. In other words, it does not factor into any signals to the vehicle's ECM that could inhibit it.

One old trick I remember to do was to have someone in say a parking lot or down a non-busy street and go by very slowly and see if you could pick out where the sound of the knocking is coming from. I also used to with a stick bang the exhaust pipes once the vehicle got fully warmed up (takes about 13 minutes from what I recall) and see what you here.
Old 07-06-22, 04:44 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Here's the thing, the main cat would throw a different code than one for the two A/F Sensors. That's one thing.

One thing you may not have known about my RX300 is when I was in Mexico, I took out the two precats (remember late 2005) that flowed off each bank, in addition to going to a larger main magnaflow cat below. I never had any issues except for a nice bump in power.

The manual Toyota Solara that ran the 1MZFE engine did not come with precats.

Now, that sensor near the main cat does not figure into anything related to the A/F sensor signals. It is purely to take a look at what is going on with the main cat. That sensor near the main cat could go bust and nothing will happen as far as power or any other issue with the vehicle except maybe spewing emissions if the main cat is indeed a bust. In other words, it does not factor into any signals to the vehicle's ECM that could inhibit it.

One old trick I remember to do was to have someone in say a parking lot or down a non-busy street and go by very slowly and see if you could pick out where the sound of the knocking is coming from. I also used to with a stick bang the exhaust pipes once the vehicle got fully warmed up (takes about 13 minutes from what I recall) and see what you here.
I remember something like that, but ya, the pre cats are definitely toast, no power, shakes bad at hot idle, when i changed the front a/f sensor it seemed to pick up a bit better but shakes even worse at idle, i guess the extra power pushing against the clogged cats? Only way i know how to describe the knock is.... On the test drive after changing the sensor, i floored it down a empty street from about 5mph up to 30-35, it started off strong, sounded normal, then... about 3grand or so, imagine a rubber band with a bunch of ball bearings attached to it, and someone or something inside my engine stretched it back tight and just let it go, WACHACHA!!! Let off, back to normal. It's the same though if im just medium into the throttle, if im just getting up to speed with the windows down i can just barely hear it.