RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Radiator put crack in my day

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22 | 08:25 AM
newnthused
10th Gear

Default Radiator put crack in my day

My car started smoking as I exited the freeway. I pulled over, opened the hood, and there was a sweet smelling liquid splashed all under the hood. Coolant was low, but car wasn't over heating. So I think the leaking coolant was just vaporizing which looked like smoke. Anyway, found a LARGE crack on the radiator a couple inches under cap. Should I just replace radiator? What could have caused this? Old coolant (never been flushed since I've owned it)? Bad thermostat? I guess I need to change radiator regardless since there's a giant crack.
I put marine sealant on the crack and radiator sealant (k seal) in the coolant so I could make it home. I made it home safe without car smoking, but I know this is only temporary solution. Thanks all.
Old 12-28-22 | 05:58 PM
salimshah

Replace is the only viable option. For the radiator to burst, the internal pressure or material failure are the only reasons. The pressure safety relief is the radiator cap. I would replace that.

Beware: Tge temp sensor works when you have coolant. Once the coolant falls below thermostat the gauge gives false reading.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
newnthused (12-28-22)
Old 12-28-22 | 06:52 PM
newnthused
10th Gear

Thank you, Salim! Do you think I should just replace the radiator and cap? Or should I also replace the thermostat and/or sensor?
Old 12-28-22 | 08:34 PM
bordenj66
Pit Crew

I’d also replace the thermostat or at least pull and chuck it in a pot of water to see that it moves smoothly when the water approaches boiling.

If the thermostat is sticking closed and then surges open, it’ll send a slug of super heated coolant towards the radiator. Blammo, either return hose or radiator.
Old 12-28-22 | 08:46 PM
salimshah

Radiator --> must
Radiator cap --> Auto shop can lend you a tester

Thermostat --> I would check it after radiator replacement. Stuck close will overheat and stuck open will delay heating of engine and temperature would drop when you drive.
Temperature sensor -> Observe behavior after radiator change. Initially should be cold and then gauge should move in about 2-3 minutes and get to 50% 15-20 min.

The down side of waiting to see regarding Thermostat and temp sensor is you will lose about 1-2quarts of coolant.

You can do the initial testing with 100% water but make sure you out the 50-50 mix before temperature falls below freezing.

Salim
PS: All disclaimers apply ... do not open caps etc with the engine hot.

Old 12-29-22 | 03:37 PM
newnthused
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Radiator --> must
Radiator cap --> Auto shop can lend you a tester

Thermostat --> I would check it after radiator replacement. Stuck close will overheat and stuck open will delay heating of engine and temperature would drop when you drive.
Temperature sensor -> Observe behavior after radiator change. Initially should be cold and then gauge should move in about 2-3 minutes and get to 50% 15-20 min.

The down side of waiting to see regarding Thermostat and temp sensor is you will lose about 1-2quarts of coolant.

You can do the initial testing with 100% water but make sure you out the 50-50 mix before temperature falls below freezing.

Salim
PS: All disclaimers apply ... do not open caps etc with the engine hot.
I can't thank you enough. Can you recommend a place where I can buy a new/after market radiator?
Old 12-29-22 | 04:41 PM
salimshah

OEM will be tt expensive. Try to source Denso.

Maybe other members can share their experience.

Salim
Old 12-29-22 | 05:00 PM
davidsboss
6th Gear

Default Replacement Radiator

Go to Amazon for your replacement radiator, I used them on my Camry. Also rock auto or car parts. hope this helps.
Old 01-16-23 | 08:12 PM
newnthused
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
OEM will be tt expensive. Try to source Denso.

Maybe other members can share their experience.

Salim
Thank you Salim. I replaced the radiator and so far success! I didn't expect transmission fluid to leak from the bottom hoses. Almost got my in the face. Should I top off tran fluid. I read that's what it is.
Also, now my heater isn't working properly. It was definitely working before radiator switch. But now it heats up a little when I'm driving and cools down to room temp when in idle. This is on fun blast by the way. Is it this a thermostat thing?
Old 01-17-23 | 10:18 AM
salimshah

After replacement, did you follow procedure to remove air from the coolant?
Set cabin temp to max hot.
Fill overflow to max.
Open radiator cap [when cold]
Star engine and let it idle.
Keep adding coolant [with engine running] at a slow rate.
Watch the gauge go up. About 10 min of idle [depends on ambient temp].
Squeeze coolant hose to remove any trapped air.
Cap the radiator. Dial back the interior temp to your liking.
Monitor coolant level for few days and the temp gauge inside and fill up as needed. Also watch for coolant drips/leaks.

If the coolant level remains full and your temp gauge does not move then you may have an issue with the thermostat or temp gauge.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (01-17-23)
Old 01-23-23 | 12:07 PM
Jhixson
Rookie

Whenever I replace a radiator I always replace the cap, hoses and thermostat. It does cost a little more but I know that after I bleed the air all is well for many more miles. Just my input.