RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 RX350 clunking front driver tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-23, 09:43 AM
DianaLV79
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 RX350 clunking front driver tire

I have a 2009 RX350 AWD and have a clunking sound on the front driver wheel when I go over a bumpy street at a low speed. ( residential speed ) I have recently replaced the front lower ball joints, front struts, both sway bars, rotors and brakes. I still hear the clunking. What can it be? It's driving me crazy!
Old 03-14-23, 10:55 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

did you check bushings in LCA?
The following users liked this post:
DianaLV79 (03-14-23)
Old 03-14-23, 11:13 AM
DianaLV79
10th Gear

Default 2009 RX350 clunking front driver tire

Thank you for responding. Firestone supposedly checked everything and told me it was the sway bars. I got them replaced last weekend. I called Firestone and was told that it may be a defective sway bar. Do you think they may have not checked the bushings? Where else can I take it to get checked?
Old 03-14-23, 11:26 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 773 Likes on 556 Posts

Anywhere but Firestone, I wouldn't trust a single thing those scammers say. They just shot the parts cannon at you i.e: They didn't diagnose the clunking problem, they just threw parts at the car. Check Google reviews for a good local reputable shop. A good shop will take pictures for you or let you come in to see the part that is failing, or prove to you why it's clunking.
The following 3 users liked this post by MattRX:
DianaLV79 (03-14-23), SJM (03-15-23), totoDon (07-01-24)
Old 03-14-23, 11:29 AM
DianaLV79
10th Gear

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help =)
Old 03-14-23, 11:42 AM
MattRX
Racer

Here’s where the cracks usually begin. This LCA bushing by design is under a lot of stress and is a common failure point on our cars. If it is the source of the clunk, I would try to get OEM if possible but the Delphi brand ones are working fine so far.

Good chance to see if the inner tie rod pinion boots are cracked too. If these remain failed for too long, the steering rack seals can fail and destroy the whole steering rack. Unfortunately it was too late for my rack by the time I bought the car.
Old 03-14-23, 11:56 AM
DianaLV79
10th Gear

I made an appointment at Tire Works (excellent ratings). I'm a AAA member and they quoted $80 for a 40 point inspection. Firestone charged $10 for a full inspection. More like you said, threw parts at me but never fixed the real problem. It's tough being judged because I'm a woman. I've taken my car to 3 different mechanics. It's frustrating. Hopefully, Tire Works will be better. Again, thank you for your help.
Old 03-14-23, 10:41 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by DianaLV79
... and told me it was the sway bars. I got them replaced last weekend. ...
it was my first idea, but I found in your post that you already replaced them
PS: in RX I was able to hear only bad stabilizer links and non-OEM strut mounts, but not dead LCA bushings
Old 03-14-23, 10:49 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

... Do you think they may have not checked the bushings? ...
I had a bad alignment (outside tire wear). I bought new tires and made the alignment at Firestone. But the issue with outside tire wear returned. At another shop I was told that LCA bushings are bad, so Firestone hadn't checked anything (just alignment; moreover, one strut were not tightened well).
The following users liked this post:
SJM (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 01:42 PM
DianaLV79
10th Gear

Sorry to bother you again. AAA finished the 40 point inspection and see nothing wrong. They attempted to recreate the sound. Not sure what that means. However, I got the struts done but only the front because I was told parts geek sent me 2wd fir the back struts. The mechanic lied to me and told me that the front ones were AWD. I verified with parts geek that they aren't struts for AWD. AAA stated that everything is tight and looks good.
Old 03-20-23, 05:51 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to bother you again. AAA finished the 40 point inspection and see nothing wrong. They attempted to recreate the sound. Not sure what that means. However, I got the struts done but only the front because I was told parts geek sent me 2wd fir the back struts. The mechanic lied to me and told me that the front ones were AWD. I verified with parts geek that they aren't struts for AWD. AAA stated that everything is tight and looks good.
Ok, so the rear ones were wrong from parts geek. But the front ones were good or not. Post a little confusing-at least for me. They got the front done, correct?

Does the clunk happen when the car shifts to 2nd gear?
Old 03-20-23, 06:12 AM
DianaLV79
10th Gear

The front struts were changed. I ordered a 4 piece strut kit from parts geek. Mechanic called me half way thru the job and told me that parts geek sent me 2wd back struts. I confirmed with the mechanic that the two front ones he already installed were AWD. He said yes. He lied. He installed 2wd front struts. I'm assuming he didn't want to bother taking them off. I had my alignment done this past Saturday. I was told that my camber/ toe was stuck. (Back right) No one at any inspection ever brought that up. Not AAA or Firestone. Am I being taken? The inspections were done 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-20-23, 06:19 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The camber bolts could be stuck. One of mine was rusted when i took it in for an alignment. BUt not enough off to worry about.

They probably wouldn't know the bolts were seized until an alignment was done. Someone familiar with the car may have guessed it, but I don't know if it is something they would look for.
Old 03-20-23, 09:30 AM
DianaLV79
10th Gear

Default Alignment

This is so frustrating. I had my alignment done at Firestone Saturdaythe 18th. I paid for the lifetime deal. I was there 3hrs and when I drove it through the parking lot, my car felt exactly the same as when I brought it in. I had a rotation and balance Friday the 17th. Firestone took my car back and "fixed" it? Then told me about the camber/toe after taking it back the second time. The camber/toe was never mentioned the first time around. As of today, my car still pulls slightly to the right. I don't know who to trust. My car still feels wonky and the knocking is still there.

Last edited by DianaLV79; 03-20-23 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 03-20-23, 09:30 AM
MattRX
Racer

The rear’s camber bolts (strut-to-knuckle) don’t have adjustment from the factory and don’t usually seize but the toe bolts on the control arm can. If these do, you usually have to just cut them off and replace the whole lower rearward control arm and the bolts.

A proper Toyota/Lexus or any competent independent mech needs to work on this car, not Firestone. I would demand my money back at this point. 2WD front struts will fit but you will not have the correct spring rate up front, the AWDs have more weight up front. May be a concern under an emergency maneuver.

Last edited by MattRX; 03-20-23 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 2009 RX350 clunking front driver tire