RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 - Do I have a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 03:55 PM
Sully C5er
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 - Do I have a lemon?

List of problems:

1. When I first picked-up the Lexus I had a front end vibration. It required three trips to the dealer to get it remedied.

2. The windshield started cracking. Over a two day period the crack went from 2 inches to 18 inches long. Replaced under warranty. During the replacement process the dealer service left black fingerprints on roof liner...had to go back so they could clean it.

3. On soft braking the Lexus would lurch forward. Transmission software needed upgrading.

New Problems:

4. Driver-side, rear door window went down but itself.

5. Occasionally the rear door won't open by either the dashboard switch or key fob.

6. On deceleration there is a whirring sound, which stops if the AC is turned off.

7. Whenever the accelerator is depressed, there is a muffled 'pop' sound.

8. The resume function of cruise-control occasionally doesn't work.

9. The auto-off function for the headlights has failed twice on sunny days.

Lexus Quality -- Is it a facade????
Old 10-28-03, 04:05 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sully, couldn't decide to cry or laugh [hope you understand in a sort of vicarious sympathy] at that list as presented, unbelievable for any car.
Sounds like you might have a case.

Quality on mine is great, except for excessive windshield noise in my, and some riders', opinion.

Good luck, tell us what happens.

Last edited by parula; 10-30-03 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-28-03, 04:41 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to have a serious sit down meeting the owner of the dealership and press for a replacement.

I have about 2K on my RX with no problems. I am not in love with the car by any means, but it is problem free.
Old 10-29-03, 11:59 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lemon Law

I believe the Lemon Law pertains to a car if it has a REPEATED problem that they cannot fix after a certain number of attempts. Sounds like they did a good job of fixing your first 3 problems, and I'm sure they'd be willing to look at the rest of your concerns. I highly doubt they'd replace the car.
Old 10-30-03, 07:37 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 2000 RX300 and love it. Sounds like you got one that came out on a bad day at the factory. Maybe somebody was drinking on the job or something that day! lol.

The lemon law is clear on what is required for you to make a claim against it. Read it to get an understanding of it. Then sit down with the service manager, general manager and the owner (if available) of the dealership where you bought the car. Be very clear about your total dissatisfaction with this car and the list of problems you are having. Also be clear that a list this long is totally unacceptable for ANY manufacturer, especially a Lexus. Give them ONE shot to fix every problem on the list. Get their agreement that something will be done if they can't get it fixed. Also, call Lexus corporate to get them involved ASAP. Write a letter stating every detail about your issues and mail it to corporate as well. Be sure to keep records of conversations, copies of letters, all copies of service work performed, etc. Cover your tracks so you will be well armed if you do need to make a claim against the lemon law.

Good luck.

Jeremy
Old 10-30-03, 11:06 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

To follow up on what Jeremyp posted, ensure that any paperwork you get back from the dealership after your services detail exactly what you requested be looked at and what was done to resolve your problem. When I initially got my car, there was an issue that I wanted checked at the 1K service. When I called to schedule the service, I told the service rep about it and I again repeated it when I arrived for the service. Oddly, the issue I wanted checked wasn't on the printed work order, but the service rep wrote it in in pen. I didn't notice it until I left the dealership, but the specific issue I brought up didn't appear on the printed receipt I received after the service. As it happened, I had to go back for a separate issue a couple of weeks later, and had them include on the receipt include the issue that was omitted. Had I not insisted it be included, I believe there never would have been a record of my having reported a problem.

Read your work order very carefully when you bring in your car, and check your receipt before you leave to ensure it includes everything you reported and what was done to try to resolve it, as this is the only proof you have.
Old 10-30-03, 01:18 PM
Sully C5er
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback...I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-01-03, 01:19 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Resume and cruse control ...

Long time back some one mentioned that if the speed falls below a value (20mph ?) the resume function will not work on Lexus.

Can any one confirm or post the right minimum mph.

Salim
Old 11-02-03, 05:03 AM
parula
Instructor

Salim, on both my cars the cruise would not work below 25mph - exactly. And it seems if speed drops below 25 then the cruise set speed is erased and I cannot autoset the speed without setting it again.
Old 11-02-03, 11:54 AM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

I have owned several Toyota and Lexus products. They all work that way. One of the few complaints I have about RX330.
Old 11-02-03, 06:48 PM
eyebike
Driver

Thats what it says in the manual, 25 mph.