RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need urgent advice 2009 rx350 51,000 miles oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 09:34 AM
Chaiya1
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need urgent advice 2009 rx350 51,000 miles oil leak

Please help me. I have a 2009 RX350 with 51,000 miles. I went to the dealer for an oil change and the mechanic at the dealer shop said everything is in very good condition EXCEPT I have an "active" oil leak in the REAR CRANK SEAL (Crankshaft Rear Main). He said that although the oil is not leaking on the floor, the oil leak is an "active" leak and he pointed out where the oil is leaking and he also pointed out that the lower shield has oil on it. I do not see any oil on my garage floor, but I believe the Lexus dealer because he pointed it out to me. I also had it inspected by an independent mechanic who said the same thing as the Lexus dealer mechanic: there is an 'ACTIVE OIL LEAK," in the rear crank seal. The Lexus dealer quoted me an estimated price of $3,033 to do the repair. He said that he will need to lower the transmission to replace the seal and then put everything back in. The independent mechanic said it's a big job to do. My relatives who are car "geeks," told me I should not get the oil leak repaired since the car is old. They told me just check the oil levels periodically and to just add oil to the car when it gets low. The service advisor at Lexus told me I should get it repaired ASAP as the engine could cease. As I mentioned, it's a 2009 RX350 with 51,000 miles and besides this oil leak, everything else is in very good condition. What do you think I should do? Please help me make a decision. I appreciate your help!!
Old 04-12-23, 10:19 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

try to ask this guy
The following users liked this post:
Vincenze (04-12-23)
Old 04-13-23, 04:15 AM
Abrar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaiya1
Please help me. I have a 2009 RX350 with 51,000 miles. I went to the dealer for an oil change and the mechanic at the dealer shop said everything is in very good condition EXCEPT I have an "active" oil leak in the REAR CRANK SEAL (Crankshaft Rear Main). He said that although the oil is not leaking on the floor, the oil leak is an "active" leak and he pointed out where the oil is leaking and he also pointed out that the lower shield has oil on it. I do not see any oil on my garage floor, but I believe the Lexus dealer because he pointed it out to me. I also had it inspected by an independent mechanic who said the same thing as the Lexus dealer mechanic: there is an 'ACTIVE OIL LEAK," in the rear crank seal. The Lexus dealer quoted me an estimated price of $3,033 to do the repair. He said that he will need to lower the transmission to replace the seal and then put everything back in. The independent mechanic said it's a big job to do. My relatives who are car "geeks," told me I should not get the oil leak repaired since the car is old. They told me just check the oil levels periodically and to just add oil to the car when it gets low. The service advisor at Lexus told me I should get it repaired ASAP as the engine could cease. As I mentioned, it's a 2009 RX350 with 51,000 miles and besides this oil leak, everything else is in very good condition. What do you think I should do? Please help me make a decision. I appreciate your help!!
just make sure it’s not the timing cover leak, even if it’s a rear seal , get the timing cover checked and re sealed , as the engine is coming out, would be a good idea to get the water pump replaced as well. The car is old , these are the parts which will eventually need replacement in future.
Old 04-13-23, 08:15 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

PS: Did you ask for a photo of the leak from the Dealer?
Old 04-13-23, 08:24 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 189 Posts

Just keep it topped off until it drips on the driveway, then if your spouse lets you, put some carboard there (duct tape to hold it in place) and carry on. If yoy can DIY it, then fix it if it drives you nuts, but if a dealer says its leaking, and you never noticed, move on...
Abrar (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 09:55 AM
Chaiya1
10th Gear

Thanks - that's a very interesting video. Now, I understand why it's so expensive to fix the RMS. I wish I lived closer to this guy. I would bring my Lexus to him, but I live in NJ. I wonder how I would be able to get in contact with this guy? He seems really knowledgeable.

Last edited by Chaiya1; 04-13-23 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 10:03 AM
Chaiya1
10th Gear

Thanks for your response. But, with everything else you recommended, I could be up to $5,000-$6,000 in repairs. I am struggling to figure out if it's really worth it to fix the REAR MAIN SEAL which the dealer gave me an estimated price of $3,032, and now, you made me realize that I might have other major repairs to take care of as well as the RMS. It's a 2009 RX350 so, it's 14 years old. I am the original owner, but, I am worried that this vehicle will turn into a money pit. What do you think I should do? Should I just keep an eye on the oil levels and pray it doesn't get worse or should I bite the bullet and take it in for the repairs?
Old 04-13-23, 10:30 AM
Chaiya1
10th Gear

Yes, I have photos from the dealer. I have attached two photos to this reply. Please check the attached photos and please let me know what you think. The first photo is where it's leaking from (He said that it's leaking from the rear crank seal. The second photo shows the oil on the lower shield). I am really struggling with this decision. It's a lot of money to replace the RMS and my car is a 2009 RX350 so, 14 years old. Should I do the repair or should I just monitor the oil level? The other idea I had was asking the dealer if they could use more viscous oil or have them put in Auto-Rx both of which I see mentioned on this Lexus forum.

Old 04-13-23, 10:32 AM
Abrar
Driver

photos are low resolution, can you send ones with good resolution ? its looks like a seepage at best ! not a leak, monitor oil levels every 1000 miles/ km , check levels, some times its better to top off then to spend 6K $
Chaiya1 (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 10:36 AM
Abrar
Driver

the video mentions the timing cover leak, 2grfe is known for this. use a break cleaner and clean the oil leak, top off the oil, drive again and check oil levels, and check for leakage. some times its way cheaper to top off with some oil than to do a engine drop and repair.
Chaiya1 (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 10:38 AM
Chaiya1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Just keep it topped off until it drips on the driveway, then if your spouse lets you, put some carboard there (duct tape to hold it in place) and carry on. If yoy can DIY it, then fix it if it drives you nuts, but if a dealer says its leaking, and you never noticed, move on...
Thanks for your response. I could never "DIY." This is a big repair where it looks like major car components are removed from the car, the repair is made and then the major car components are put back in. Way too complicated for a DIY project. Even, AMD, "The Car Care Nut," in Illinois said that only an expert should attempt to do this repair. I wonder if this is the kind of leak that will eventually burst or is it a slow leak that could linger on for years?
Old 04-13-23, 10:54 AM
Chaiya1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Abrar
photos are low resolution, can you send ones with good resolution ? its looks like a seepage at best ! not a leak, monitor oil levels every 1000 miles/ km , check levels, some times its better to top off then to spend 6K $
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate your help. See if these photos are any better. I am having difficulty attaching "actual size," photos to this message. The photos either seem too small or way too big. Please take a look at these photos and please let me know what you think. The first photo is the source of the leak (the mechanic said "REAR CRANK SEAL"). The second photo is a picture of the lower shield which has oil on it.

Old 04-13-23, 11:47 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chaiya1
Thanks - that's a very interesting video. Now, I understand why it's so expensive to fix the RMS. I wish I lived closer to this guy. I would bring my Lexus to him, but I live in NJ. I wonder how I would be able to get in contact with this guy? He seems really knowledgeable.
https://tccnautomotive.com/
Old 04-13-23, 02:25 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Just pretend you had the oil changed, AND, nothing was mentioned of this leak by the shop.

Life would of gone on without any issues, right?

Until it starts making a mess on your garage floor (it may never), just drive and enjoy your Lexus and save your money for repairs that actually affect the driveability of the vehicle.
Brakes, exhaust, tires, shocks are all things to worry about rather than this issue.

As far as the service adviser saying the engine could seize, it’s their job to scare potential victims into spending money, no reputable mechanic would tell you such malarkey.

Last edited by Roscol; 04-13-23 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Roscol:
Chaiya1 (04-13-23), ThreeCW (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 06:37 PM
Chaiya1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by iMSQ
Thanks a lot for the contact information. I am going to try to get in touch with AMD, "The Car Care Nut."

Quick Reply: Need urgent advice 2009 rx350 51,000 miles oil leak