RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 Rx330 change fuel injector now long time to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 05:31 PM
Justice10
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 2004 Rx330 change fuel injector now long time to start

So last week i change one of the fuel injector, spark plug and ignition coil because of a missed fire and forgot to pull out the fuel fuse so the car fuel can depressurize. Now whenever i start the car at the morning it starts up in one go but anytime after that i have to crank it for a long time (3 times) for it to start. There is other times that if i want it to start away i press the gas pedal and crank it at the same time for it to start. Is there something i can do for it to stop giving problem to start and I don't destroy something else that would cost me a big time? Ive searched on google, watched every video, read the Haynes repair book and i got nothing from any of it.
Old 04-19-23, 07:12 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 485 Likes on 421 Posts

1st, Did you replace the plug/coil? & still a missfire? & what you did got rig of the miss fire? What brand of injector did you use? I'd also change the other plugs as well. I'd also check the fuel pressure. How many miles? Once its running, does it pull pretty good or?
Old 04-19-23, 08:53 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Justice10
So last week i change one of the fuel injector, spark plug and ignition coil because of a missed fire and forgot to pull out the fuel fuse so the car fuel can depressurize. Now whenever i start the car at the morning it starts up in one go but anytime after that i have to crank it for a long time (3 times) for it to start. There is other times that if i want it to start away i press the gas pedal and crank it at the same time for it to start. Is there something i can do for it to stop giving problem to start and I don't destroy something else that would cost me a big time? Ive searched on google, watched every video, read the Haynes repair book and i got nothing from any of it.
The issue could be from a faulty or wrong fuel injector. Like mentioned; above the brand of fuel injector matters. Cheaper non-OEM fuel injectors may be not be manufactured properly. The injector install could be an issue as well. Was the wiring harness damaged? Was new(or proper sized) injector o-rings used? If not the new injector may have an leak with reduces the fuel pressure and may cause the hard starts.

Many factors come into place. Heck, it may not even be the fuel injector causing the problem. It could a defective coil pack or even spark plug since you changed all three at one time. I would first inspect the fuel injector to see if it is leaking fuel and then go from there.
Old 04-20-23, 07:05 AM
Justice10
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Felix
1st, Did you replace the plug/coil? & still a missfire? & what you did got rig of the miss fire? What brand of injector did you use? I'd also change the other plugs as well. I'd also check the fuel pressure. How many miles? Once its running, does it pull pretty good or?
The is misfire was one of the fuel injectors and it damage the spark plug and the ignition coil. So yeah I replace all six at once to make sure it down move on to the next. It run perfectly fine when it's on idle and also when I'm driving. The problem is just that long start.

I bought the parts from rock auto and the parts name "Ultra zone" or something like that.

I also think about checking the fuel pressure but don't know how to.

Last edited by Justice10; 04-20-23 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-20-23, 07:11 AM
Justice10
10th Gear

Originally Posted by carguy75
The issue could be from a faulty or wrong fuel injector. Like mentioned; above the brand of fuel injector matters. Cheaper non-OEM fuel injectors may be not be manufactured properly. The injector install could be an issue as well. Was the wiring harness damaged? Was new(or proper sized) injector o-rings used? If not the new injector may have an leak with reduces the fuel pressure and may cause the hard starts.

Many factors come into place. Heck, it may not even be the fuel injector causing the problem. It could a defective coil pack or even spark plug since you changed all three at one time. I would first inspect the fuel injector to see if it is leaking fuel and then go from there.

Nah i checked everyone of that and its not it. I made sure to not by any cheap parts. There was no leaked or anything. The only thing I haven't tried is checking the fuel pressure.
Old 04-20-23, 06:08 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts

Nah i checked everyone of that and its not it. I made sure to not by any cheap parts. There was no leaked or anything. The only thing I haven't tried is checking the fuel pressure.
What brand of parts did you buy?
Old 04-21-23, 04:39 AM
Justice10
10th Gear

Originally Posted by carguy75
What brand of parts did you buy?
The brand name "Ultra-Power".
Old 05-09-23, 10:45 AM
Justice10
10th Gear

Unhappy

OK, I've finally got some time to go get the car tested at one of mechanic shops and they told me that they couldn't find any problem that explain to them. They've work on the car, test it, checking the fuel injectors pressure, starting it up within hours to see if it acted up like how I explain it and everything works as they should. He gave me some examples of problems that might be the problem like the fuel valve somehow keeps getting stuck open that the fuel keeps running back to the tank or one of the fuel injectors gone bad again and etc. Then he gave me a solution of repeatedly turn on and off the car 3 times so the pump can prime up the fuel so the 4th time it can start right away. I've search up fuel valve to see what it is and where its located, but it keeps giving me purge valve which is in the front. So yeah im still one the problem.
Old 07-31-23, 02:47 PM
Axeman
Driver School Candidate

The is misfire was one of the fuel injectors and it damage the spark plug and the ignition coil. So yeah I replace all six at once to make sure it down move on to the next. It run perfectly fine when it's on idle and also when I'm driving. The problem is just that long start.

I bought the parts from rock auto and the parts name "Ultra zone" or something like that.

I also think about checking the fuel pressure but don't know how to.
I had an issue where the supposed "Never needs to be changed" fuel filter in the sending unit. It had to be changed. Reduced pressure at the fuel rail, way under spec. Now I got great pressure. What was that fuel valve mentioned above on this thread , that if goes bad it just sends fuel back to the tank?
what actual fuel valve is being referred to? Fuel pressure regulator? I have a crank no start situation but she fires up with carb spray, but no pulse at the injectors using node lights. I've got to find somebody that is proficient in electrical aspects. It's my understanding that if components are tested haphazardly, the ECM could be fried in a second. For example if you have your volt meter on well there's a load on that! There's this cat on YouTube that talks a lot of theory and uses a dry erase board.