RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Ultra Racing's $400 rear sway bar..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-23, 08:42 AM
DeeBee3
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ultra Racing's $400 rear sway bar..

Is totally worth it!
Seriously I had a lot of hesitation about spending that much for a sway bar but it's completely transformed the ride of my 330.
To be fair my stock springs are a bit worn at this point and were sagging a bit and I have replaced the rear struts. I'm upgrading from the 14mm sway bar.

Before: You ever seen a really happy lab wag it's tail so hard that it's *** sways side to side? Yeah that was my RX. Hard acceleration would result in a back end squat
that I'm realizing now I had gotten used to. Driving on the interstate at 80mph was comfortable but not as controlled as I would have liked with more body movement and bounce.

After: Slight amount of under steer when pressed into a sharp corner but damnit that back end stays flat! Very much under control at all speeds and the back end just feels like
its part of the same chassis now. Flooring the gas pedal results in forward momentum now instead of a squat and possible steering wheel correction. The back end doesn't look to be sagging anymore
and doesn't feel like it either.

While I was very reluctant to actually spend the money on this part before getting new springs I'm very happy I did. Highly recommended

The following 4 users liked this post by DeeBee3:
carguy75 (04-20-23), edd16 (05-16-24), Felix (04-26-23), MattRX (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 10:21 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 773 Likes on 556 Posts

Nice work and thanks for documenting it! The stock 14mm sway bar is a joke on this car! Even the 16mm sport model / Highlander one is far too under-sized. A lot of the flex is from the stock sway bar brackets too. Definitely worth doing the 26mm 2010-2015 RX350 front bar too if you ever find yourself having to change the steering rack.
Old 04-20-23, 10:31 AM
DeeBee3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MattRX
Nice work and thanks for documenting it! The stock 14mm sway bar is a joke on this car! Even the 16mm sport model / Highlander one is far too under-sized. A lot of the flex is from the stock sway bar brackets too. Definitely worth doing the 26mm 2010-2015 RX350 front bar too if you ever find yourself having to change the steering rack.
Thanks Matt. Man I noticed how flimsy those brackets were when I got the one side of the new bar mounted to the end link, the whole bracket flexed when a moved the bar lol. How did you manage to build your upgraded brackets?
I actually grabbed a set of ES350 front end links from rockauto and then what was listed on ebay as an AWD front sway bar for a 2010 Highlander but of course the seller was wrong. Sent me a FWD bar (which I only know thanks to your DIY posts). He was cool about it though, refunded me and told me to just keep it.
Old 04-20-23, 09:01 PM
MattRX
Racer

I measured every part of the frame in that area and the stock brackets. 3D-modelled some new brackets and made them out of angle iron. I'm working on a stronger version 2 that I plan to sell later (it's already done, just need to get it made by the machine shop). These like the originals accept a universal bushing and are much stronger, smaller and simpler than V1, plus they tie into more of the frame for extra strength.

Too bad about that sway bar! You'll find one soon enough, they seem to pop up every once in a while for a really good price.
Old 04-21-23, 10:31 AM
MheityRX
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I like the rear sway bar too

Nice looking bar!! So satisfying when it drives nice!! Enjoy!!!!! I have an 04 fwd RX 330: I put this, I think, 18mm(?) sway-bar on my car, and also, wow(!) on the handling improvement, turn initiation and control through turns; easily tracked and adjustable. I realized the other day - I just move the very light-resistance steering wheel and the car turns in correspondingly. Note: I also have coilovers with 10F 7R non progressive springs with a ~2inch drop. (took most of the body rise/dip [from acceleration or towing] and turn in initial-roll out of the car) (it still has body roll in turns there is just no lag between turn initiation and roll begin) the sway bar exaggerated and planted turn initiation and tracking through the turn. I would love to test it on a track or better a skid pad to see where the rear end will let go? It feels Very planted at turn in and - even as I keep turning! I still have the stock narrow "winter wheels" on, and will go to a wider ~9" wheel/tire for summers as I can source the right size/price wheels. I am eventually going to replace my springs and "keepers" with one progressive spring (and maybe drop the last 1.5-2" too?) - to make the car more of a touring car vs tow rig/sport wagon.

The following 2 users liked this post by MheityRX:
DeeBee3 (04-21-23), MattRX (04-21-23)
Old 04-21-23, 04:16 PM
DeeBee3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MattRX
I measured every part of the frame in that area and the stock brackets. 3D-modelled some new brackets and made them out of angle iron. I'm working on a stronger version 2 that I plan to sell later (it's already done, just need to get it made by the machine shop). These like the originals accept a universal bushing and are much stronger, smaller and simpler than V1, plus they tie into more of the frame for extra strength.

Too bad about that sway bar! You'll find one soon enough, they seem to pop up every once in a while for a really good price.
Man put me down for a set of those as soon as you are able to ship them. And if you need further testing for sone reason I'm your guy lol.
The following users liked this post:
MattRX (04-21-23)
Old 04-21-23, 04:18 PM
DeeBee3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MheityRX
Nice looking bar!! So satisfying when it drives nice!! Enjoy!!!!! I have an 04 fwd RX 330: I put this, I think, 18mm(?) sway-bar on my car, and also, wow(!) on the handling improvement, turn initiation and control through turns; easily tracked and adjustable. I realized the other day - I just move the very light-resistance steering wheel and the car turns in correspondingly. Note: I also have coilovers with 10F 7R non progressive springs with a ~2inch drop. (took most of the body rise/dip [from acceleration or towing] and turn in initial-roll out of the car) (it still has body roll in turns there is just no lag between turn initiation and roll begin) the sway bar exaggerated and planted turn initiation and tracking through the turn. I would love to test it on a track or better a skid pad to see where the rear end will let go? It feels Very planted at turn in and - even as I keep turning! I still have the stock narrow "winter wheels" on, and will go to a wider ~9" wheel/tire for summers as I can source the right size/price wheels. I am eventually going to replace my springs and "keepers" with one progressive spring (and maybe drop the last 1.5-2" too?) - to make the car more of a touring car vs tow rig/sport wagon.

Thanks! Never seen that bar before, do they make an AWD version also?
Old 04-21-23, 08:27 PM
MattRX
Racer

Thank you! I’d love to have some “beta testers”
for the brackets for sure! Unfortunately Cusco doesn’t make an AWD one
Old 04-24-23, 11:09 AM
MheityRX
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeBee3
Thanks! Never seen that bar before, do they make an AWD version also?
It is a Cusco sold thru CSP Racing in the states. It is intended for the Japanese market. Judging by the shipping time, they likely ordered it from Asia. The "Harrier" version of the RX is popular overseas - often modified. You might call places like CSPracing.com to ask about sourcing a AWD version? Here is the title of my bar for reference. I find many of these vendor sites hard to navigate if you are not buying a target item/brand/make.
Cusco 924 311 B18 - Lexus RX300/330/350 MCU30/33 FWD 1MZ/3MZ/2GR-FE Rear Sway Bar 18 mm I could not find an AWD bar on their site.
The following users liked this post:
DeeBee3 (06-16-23)