RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Engine stall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23 | 11:11 PM
Itspandaaa
1st Gear

Default Engine stall?

So about three months ago, while driving my car, and slowing down for a stop sign I realized my steering wheel locked up and that I couldn’t accelerate when pressing down on the gas. I parked my car and got out to observe what was going on and noticed the engine had shut off. My car was still on, my lights were on, my radio was still playing music, my A/C was still blasting and I was able to shift it into PRND. I turned off the car, and then turn it back on, and my car seemed fine. It was like nothing happened at all.

Two weeks after the incident I decided to bring it to a mechanics shop. I brought it to a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I told them about the incident but the mechanic seemed a little confuse. I asked if they could run a diagnostic and they did. He didn’t really touch on the incident and what may have caused it. But they did give me a full list of other things that needed to be done
  • Suspension
  • brakes
  • headlight
  • tires
  • tpm sensor
He had also checked a spark plug and noticed it was in great shape. But he offered an engine tune up where he would check the spark plugs, change the valve cover gaskets and tubes for spark plugs, and the air filters. There was also an issue with my Variable valve timing gears where it would rattle when I’d start my car. He said it’s not really a huge issue right now, but it would cost a hefty price since they’d have to drop the engine and labor cost.

Three months later(today as I’m writing this) I’m driving and the same thing happens, my car would not accelerate, my steering wheels lock up, and my engine stalls. But I’m able to turn it on and drive away, then it happened a second time same day. Now I’m curious as to what’s happening. So I do some online digging, but can’t really get a clear answer to what’s happening, I saw something about the engine stalling due to fuel pumps, battery, alternator, but they all couldn’t turn their car back on. I’m able to turn it on and drive off just fine.

now I saw something saying the powering steering could also be the problem, but i wasn’t too sure if power steering could cause the engine to stall?

im not a very mechanical guy, I just know the bare minimum. I’ll have to do some more research and see if I can find out if it’s an issue with electrical, I just changed my battery so I’ll need to DIY to see if I can find out if it’s the alternator, or see if it’s a fuel/air ratio problem. Since I don’t know much it just all seems very anxious to me since there’s so much to why an engine can stall. I just thought if anyone would care enough to read all this(I’m sorry btw) they might be able to give a newbie like me some insight.

thanks for reading all this if you made it this far, I highly appreciate you <3

Last edited by Itspandaaa; 07-14-23 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Typo