RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The All-Metal VVT-i Bank 1 Line Does Fit 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23 | 01:05 AM
MattRX
Racer

Default The All-Metal VVT-i Bank 1 Line Does Fit 2007

The parts sites for Toyota/Lexus all indicate that the revised vvt-i bank 1 feed line does not fit pre 2008 2GR-FE (3.5) cars. Well, I always thought that was BS, but now I know it is for a fact.

Just installed one on a friend’s 2007 Canadian model RX350 today and like I thought all 2GRs have the same architecture for the lines.

If you have a 2007, GET the line! Don’t listen to the part fitment chart! Some dealerships will not want to put the line on pre 08 cars, do not listen to them and go elsewhere or DIY it!

More info and part numbers:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/989809-2nd-gen-rx-upgrade-modification-list-diy-help-and-more.html

The following users liked this post:
spinellib (08-20-23)
Old 08-09-23 | 02:35 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Great catch, Matt.....I would of thought a few tech's or writers would of caught that & mentioned it to Toyota.....As manufactures always are looking for any updates....At least at Ford & chevy they were....
Old 08-10-23 | 01:00 AM
MattRX
Racer

Yeah, it's such a surprise to me that this still isn't properly documented by Toyota. Seeing stuff like this makes me feel that the Toyota Way has become a thing of the past.
Old 08-17-23 | 05:26 AM
grimer
Driver

Does this crappy oil line issue also impact the RX400H?
Old 08-17-23 | 06:41 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Don't think so, 400H uses 3.3L, different motor than 3.5L used in RX350 and RX450H.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mesquite77:
grimer (08-17-23), MattRX (08-17-23)
Old 08-17-23 | 10:15 AM
grimer
Driver

That's good to know.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-23 | 10:57 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattRX
Some dealerships will not want to put the line on pre 08 cars, do not listen to them and go elsewhere or DIY it!
i can confirm this... i just went through a debacle with my dealer and trying to get this metal line installed... they ended up replacing the rubber piece saying that's good enough and that part of the oil system wasn't under high pressure like the oil cooler, so the metal line isn't required swap for this gen motor... i was only willing to pay them the stupid labor rate because i thought they were going to do what i asked... so even if they say they will replace the line with a metal one, it's no guarantee. i even wrote a full blown email to the S.A. with updated part number. he acknowledged but still went by the book.

lesson is, if you need this done, buy the part and find an indy that specializes in Toyota to do it for you, the dealer won't do it because the book doesn't have this as an approved part number depending on your year car.
Old 11-27-23 | 12:28 PM
Felix
Pole Position

[QUOTE=kamlung;11620458]i can confirm this... i just went through a debacle with my dealer and trying to get this metal line installed... they ended up replacing the rubber piece saying that's good enough >>>(Is that the Lexus way? More like that dealers way)<<<and that part of the oil system wasn't under high pressure like the oil cooler, so the metal line isn't required swap for this gen motor...>>> How do they figure that the vvt line doesn't run the same oil pressure as the oil cooler or the rest of the engine? Good possibly that they thought they were working on a 'stroke & you wanted to upgrade your hpop for a Adrenaline pump.....LOL......btw there are two different oil pumps on the 7.3 & 6.0's, one is the basic oil pump for the engine, bearings,rings,ect & then theres the hpop (high pressure oil pump) to fire the injectors, which needs a least 500-550lbs of oil pressure to fire off the injectors to start.......
Old 04-30-24 | 10:17 AM
amradio
Rookie

Matt,
What was all involved with changing this hose to the all metal one? I'm guessing jacking up the car, taking off the front passenger tire and then the plastic liners inside the wheel well. The motor mount for easier access. It looks like there is a plastic guard to remove that covers the line. I remember you saying the power steering pump has to come off also. Will this come off completely? It looks like there are things in the way. Or do you just remove the bolts and move it out of the way to get to the bottom banjo bolt. Anything else to watch out for?
Old 04-30-24 | 10:37 AM
MattRX
Racer

I removed everything you mentioned except the inner fender/wheel well liner. These is a plastic cover near the pump that has two 10mm bolts and a clip which has to come off, and there is a plastic cover over the VVT-i line held in by two 10mm itself which I did not bother to reinstall on my car.

I found it much easier to reinstall the PS pump with all the lines off, as getting it into position with them still on made getting the bolt into the bracket on a straight shoot nearly impossible. This is a great time to reseal the PS pump using a gasket kit if it’s leaking.

16mm gasket for PS line - OE: 44327-30030

Old 04-30-24 | 10:40 AM
amradio
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattRX
I removed everything you mentioned except the inner fender/wheel well liner. These is a plastic cover near the pump that has two 10mm bolts and a clip which has to come off, and there is a plastic cover over the VVT-i line held in by two 10mm itself which I did not bother to reinstall on my car.

I found it much easier to reinstall the PS pump with all the lines off, as getting it into position with them still on made getting the bolt into the bracket on a straight shoot nearly impossible. This is a great time to reseal the PS pump using a gasket kit if it’s leaking.

16mm gasket for PS line - OE: 44327-30030
Thanks. So you had to take the lines off the power steering pump to get the pump back on? Then put the lines back on the pump and fill the reservoir again? What was involved with resealing the PS pump? I don't see a leak, but...
Old 04-30-24 | 12:53 PM
MattRX
Racer

Yep, I used Dex 6 synthetic trans fluid. Dex 3 getting hard to find and Dex 6 is backwards compatible and holds up even better. I would maybe get a reseal kit for 10 bucks off Rockauto or an OE one and save it for if it ever leaks. It's not hard to reseal the pump, but might be best to leave it if it doesn't leak. Four bolts take the pump body apart and there's a snapring that holds the pulley on from the back which gives you access to remove the main bearing/seal. Very simple and most PS pumps and other Toyotas and even some Chryslers from 01-onward use the same exact pump as our RX.
Old 05-04-24 | 07:11 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amradio
Thanks. So you had to take the lines off the power steering pump to get the pump back on? Then put the lines back on the pump and fill the reservoir again? What was involved with resealing the PS pump? I don't see a leak, but...
If the pump isn't leaking, then I wouldn't worry 'bout it. It also makes it easier lining up the high pressure line so you don't sprip the threads. Also great time to check & see what kind of condition the high pressure & return hose is.I'd also flush the old fluid out w/ new.
The following users liked this post:
MattRX (05-05-24)
Old 09-11-24 | 08:37 PM
amradio
Rookie

Matt. I haven't had time to do this on my brothers 07. This is a screen shot from The car care nut's video with a 2GR out. If I put the car on a lift (I have quickjacks), will I be able to come straight up to the bottom bolt (red arrow), or will I have to come up the way the blue arrow is? Would I just remove the belt, take the power steering hoses off, then take the power steering pump off? Can you reach the power steering bolts through the holes in the pulley?
Old 09-11-24 | 11:02 PM
MattRX
Racer

I tried but could not get to the VVT-i line banjo bolt without the PS pump off for the life of me. There's two 12mm bolts that hold the pump on, they can be accessed through the pulley. I just took the belt off the PS pump and left the rest of it hooked up.

Quick Reply: The All-Metal VVT-i Bank 1 Line Does Fit 2007