RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2012 Sienna wheels on 07 RX350 winter setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 05:44 PM
Bah888
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Sienna wheels on 07 RX350 winter setup

Hi all .

I just got a 07 RX350 AWD for my kid. And we are looking for winter wheels and tires.
i found a set of 17 inch 2012 sienna alloys at a salvage with TPMS. They are 17x7 35mm offset

my questions are
1) will these wheels work for the RX
2) if the sensors still have life will can they be programmed to be the second set so they can be recognized by the RX (I don’t know if they have any battery life left)
3) if they I need new sensors can I use a third party sensor and have the. Recognized by the car - I understand that I can program two separate sets and use the button underneath the glove box to switch between the two. However i may just not replace the sensors if they are dead and let the kid drive around with the yellow indicator LOL.

I did a quick search but didn’t see any sticky for tires and wheels for he rx350, apologies if I missed that thread,
And I did find a thread on sienna forum that said they could use rx wheels, but was wondering if works the other way around, as I’ve read the rx OE Spec is 17x6.5 with a 35 mm offset

any and all comments appreciated
Old 10-12-23, 07:47 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

1) - Yes, will fit perfectly
2) - The sensors crossref to a different Toyota PN. however they are both 315 MHZ so it's worth a shot to see if they'll communicate!
3) I too just drive around with dead sensors LOL! Can't be bothered dicking with them or spending the money. I tried reputable aftermarket on a friend's car and they've been intermittent (they weren't Denso IIRC), but a Chrysler OEM MFR for his car.
The following 2 users liked this post by MattRX:
Bah888 (10-12-23), fred9xx (10-23-23)
Old 10-12-23, 09:15 PM
Bah888
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply, I was concerned about the wheel width difference 17x7 on the sienna rim and the original being 17x6.5 and if the half inch difference affects the fitting of the wheel with the offset of each wheel is the same at 35mm

Old 10-13-23, 03:57 AM
DH1
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used this tool when hunting for alternative wheels for my winter setup, they have a comprehensive wheel configurator with OEM wheel specs for just about any car including bolt pattern, center bore, diameter, width, offsets:
​​​​​​https://www.wheel-size.com/

Pretty easy to pull down the wheel specs for the Sienna to compare to the RX to see how they match up. On the tire calculator, it will show you the impact of fitting alternate wheel/tire size combinations.

It doesn't have any specs on TPMS, but I can tell you that I had Belle Tire fit a set of aftermarket TPMS sensors in the winter wheels for my wife's ES350. They work just fine, and they were about 30-40% cheaper than the Toyota/Lexus sensors I just had installed in my son's RX400h at the dealer.

Last edited by DH1; 10-13-23 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-13-23, 06:30 AM
Bah888
10th Gear

Thanks for that, I did use the wheel-size.com site, not the tool itself but found the info manually. Its a great source of info. The site showed the 6.5inch original width on a 17 inch wheel on the rx and the sienna had 7 inch wide wheels with the bolt pattern and center bore and offset being the same, but that made my sometimes hyper detailed overthinking brain wonder if a 7 inch wide would be ok to use and not have it hit any calipers, struts etc.
I know it’s only a half inch difference and unlikely to have an impact, by the way I figured it’s only 1/2 inch/6.2mm closer to the struts etc. and equally closer to the outside of the fender ,but wanted to confirm with an owner.
Plus I did look at specs of after market wheels that were suggested on tire websites and even the 17x7 steels showed that they had an offset of 40 vs 35 which to me means that’s even closer to to the inside by another 5mm which helped convince me that based on the specs of the sienna wheel they should work fine.

Also good info on using third party Tpms. I’ll probably just let the kid know to ignore the yellow warning indicator for tpms if they can’t be programmed. But will still spell it out for him to look out for the other warning lights and check the tire pressures manually regularly. But whether that happens is up to his teenage brain. LOL
Old 10-13-23, 08:55 AM
DH1
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bah888
I’ll probably just let the kid know to ignore the yellow warning indicator for tpms if they can’t be programmed. But will still spell it out for him to look out for the other warning lights and check the tire pressures manually regularly. But whether that happens is up to his teenage brain. LOL
When I bought my sons RX, 3 of the 5 TPMS sensors were bad. The presentation in the cockpit was quite a bit more dramatic than just the yellow TPMS light. I got the TPMS light, a "check control" warning that couldn't be cleared from the driver's info center, a red triangle with exclamation point, AND two OBD codes. C1241 and C1300 for skid control and high/low voltage. All of these errors went away with replacement and calibration of the TPMS sensors.

The car had no driveability issues, but the phantom OBD codes had me seriously worried that I thought the $3000 ABS computer failed.

I hope it's as easy as pairing the sensors with your kids RX, so you can avoid the hassle.

Another thing worth note: I think all RX models have the option to pair 2 sets of wheels with the car. There is a button / switch under the passenger glove box to swap from #1 set to #2 set. The dealer or indy tire shop should be able to pair the sensors with your car's computer. My indy shop does it for free. The dealer charged me $50.
Old 10-13-23, 09:52 AM
Bah888
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DH1
When I bought my sons RX, 3 of the 5 TPMS sensors were bad. The presentation in the cockpit was quite a bit more dramatic than just the yellow TPMS light. I got the TPMS light, a "check control" warning that couldn't be cleared from the driver's info center, a red triangle with exclamation point, AND two OBD codes. C1241 and C1300 for skid control and high/low voltage. All of these errors went away with replacement and calibration of the TPMS sensors.

The car had no driveability issues, but the phantom OBD codes had me seriously worried that I thought the $3000 ABS computer failed.

I hope it's as easy as pairing the sensors with your kids RX, so you can avoid the hassle.

Another thing worth note: I think all RX models have the option to pair 2 sets of wheels with the car. There is a button / switch under the passenger glove box to swap from #1 set to #2 set. The dealer or indy tire shop should be able to pair the sensors with your car's computer. My indy shop does it for free. The dealer charged me $50.
wow. That is bit scary. I would buy new tpms just to avoid extra weird lights coming on. The salvaged rims do have tpms, so I will ask they get tested before I buy new ones

i am going to get tires from Costco here in Canada so hopefully they have tpms and programming tools to set it up for the switch under the glove box. I hate when stealerships charge for simple stuff like that.
Old 10-22-23, 02:30 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

New tires= great time to just buy new tpms sensors........
Old 10-22-23, 10:33 PM
Bah888
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Felix
New tires= great time to just buy new tpms sensors........
makes sense since I don’t know how old the current sensors are , or if they are even compatible. Hopefully the guys at Costco can program them properly
Old 10-23-23, 05:36 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Bah888
makes sense since I don’t know how old the current sensors are , or if they are even compatible. Hopefully the guys at Costco can program them properly
I know Discount does & also has quick service.....