RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Alternator belt battle. HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 04:42 PM
Brucecav
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alternator belt battle. HELP ME!

I have a 2004 RX330.

Cant get either belt on

This is the recommended Gates belt K060407 My first replacement try. Way too small.

Alternator loosening screw which I have loosened a huge amount

New belt has much shallower grooves than the original on the car (top)

The last belt which still didnt fit and my second belt I tried. Still cant get it on.

original belt that came off the vehicle.
I am battling with my alternator belt. I’ve included pictures of the belt that I removed the belt that was recommended. I figured I would change my alternator belt out because it is getting old and by looking online, I found that the recommended belt for the alternator and air conditioner belt replacement with a good belt by Gates is the K060407. I purchased that belt and after taking off my old belt compared the two. It appears that the recommended belt by Gates is a tiny bit smaller then the belt that I removed. The belt that I removed was a Bando 6PK 1035. I figured the belt that I removed had stretched some because it is several years old. So I wasn’t that surprised that it was a tiny bit bigger than the brand-new one. I tried very hard to get the new belt on and it wasn’t even close to fitting. I loosened up the bolt on the alternator so much that I was afraid it was going to come out. However the alternator doesn’t seem to drop any lower and the new belt would not fit. Thinking that maybe this belt is too small I got another belt recommended by advanced auto that seems to match the size of the belt that came off of the car(Bando 6PK 1035). To make the situation more confusing the belt that was recommended had the numbers (6pk1036) which did not match the numbers on the original belt that I took off. However, multiple websites stated that that was the correct Gates belt. I brought both belts to advance auto and they recommended one to match my original belt which was a Dayco belt 5060408 (6PK1035) I compared this belt with the original and it seems to be the same size. When I went to put on this belt it was also too small and I could not get it around the circular crankshaft. It looks like it’s not even close to fitting and I’m very confused to what is going on. Now I have purchased two belts and neither of them fit. One thing I noticed was that both of the recommended belts had 6 grooves in them that didn’t appear to be as deep as the original belt which had six deeper grooves. Could this be the problem? Or maybe the belt started with more shallow grooves but then as time goes on the grooves get slightly deeper? I’m really at a loss because I can’t get this belt on. I am wondering if there is a way to lower the alternator even more but as I unscrew (counterclockwise) the alternator adjusting screw it appears that I’ve gone all the way out and I’m starting to hit resistance as I turn it to loosen more. Could it be I have to pull the adjustment screw all the way out? That just doesn’t seem right to me. Can anybody offer help I am so confused and my car is out of commission until I get this belt changed. I don’t want to force the belt with a screwdriver because I know it will damage the belt. Please see the pictures and offer ideas.
Is it the difference in the grooves? Do old belts stretch that much??
How can I get a new belt on???
Sincerely, FRUSTRATED
Old 12-13-23, 06:47 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 773 Likes on 556 Posts

I don't think it's the grooves or belt length. My old belt was noticeably more stretched and had deeper grooves from wear. Maybe the alternator needs to be freed up a little? Mine was stuck from corrosion over the years. I had to use a big pry bar and penetrating oil to get the alternator sitting more forward so I could slip the belt on, it was a very easy fit after without needing a screwdriver or anything else to get the belt on. Similar story for the PS pump as well. The adjustment bolt didn't have to come out too far in my case (2002 Highlander, but same MZ engine family and procedure).
Old 12-13-23, 07:18 PM
Brucecav
Driver

thanks for the tip. I watched a few other videos and it seemed easy for others to get the belt on. Thanks for replying!
Old 12-13-23, 09:53 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 317 Posts

Yep, what he said. Force it down (use reasonable force of course). Or loosen/free the pivot bolt to un-freeze it.

the rib design difference is a design improvement, not a flaw. Belt sheds less initially and is quieter over the life cycle.
Old 12-14-23, 05:39 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

I'd also startt the belt at the crank pulley......
Old 12-14-23, 09:17 AM
Brucecav
Driver

Thank you for the tips everyone. I'm still trying to figure this out this morning. A couple of other items that may be helpful if anyone can help. I assume this is right but I want to assure that I understand the facts properly
1) as I loosen the adjustment bolt below the alternator that causes the alternator to drop downwards. As the alternator drops downwards the belt should get looser. Correct?
2) turning the screw counterclockwise (loosening) causes the downward movement of the alternator on its pivot point. Correct?
3) I have turned the loosening screw in a counterclockwise rotation about 30 rotations and now it's starting to give me resistance as though it's coming to the end. If I keep going will the screw completely come out or does it lock down on itself in some fashion. I have resisted forcing the screw looser because it's getting pretty hard to turn.
4) the alternator is very free to move in an up-and-down movement and I have no problem moving it with my hands. At this point it feels like it is hitting a metal surface despite how loose the screw is. I have not been able to visualize deep inside the engine where the alternator is hitting metal but it makes me wonder if this is not the original alternator or it's an aftermarket that is larger causing it to not have as much free play when loosened?
5) want to pull the alternator up I can see that the loosened adjustment screw is over an inch long. Is there a way I can wiggle this or do something with that screw in order to allow the alternator to drop down farther?
Sincerely,
continuing my battle
Old 12-14-23, 09:19 AM
Brucecav
Driver

One other question. There is an adjustment screw lock bolt that I have loosened that is perpendicular to the adjustment bolt. Should I take that bolt out completely? I have loosened it but I'm wondering if I need to remove that lock bolt?
I am not referring to the main bolt that the alternator pivots on, that one is already very loose
Old 12-14-23, 05:09 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yours is a RX330 and I don't know those. RX350 has a belt tensioner.

But to get the belt on properly with all belt ribs properly placed in the pulley groves, start from the bottom and work your way up.
Old 12-18-23, 04:28 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you haven't finished this, I'd loosen the belt adjustment screw a lot.
Like a lot, then start from there.