RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Low beams seem too low (2005 HID)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-24, 01:17 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Low beams seem too low (2005 HID)

The low beams on it seem awfully low. My older parents drive it and it is troublesome to them. I have searched but not found this a common complaint, unlike it is with some newer models (GS it is a real issue to many, e.g.).

I properly measured the low beam slope, and the beam drops 3” at 24’, for a -1.05% slope. That sounds pretty correct to me, and that is at top elevation. Meaning: the very top edge of the illuminated zone, which is a very abrupt transition w/the HID bulbs from illuminated to dark.

The problem is, that is the very top edge of the beam and there’s no “scatter” above (and thus beyond that) like with a normal bulb. Normal bulbs would have the slope measured to the focal center of the pattern, then still have scatter above that. I test drove it at night and agree w/my father, the range is short in comparison to most other cars, and is uncomfortable on dark roads - say when you dim for distant oncoming traffic. The 2002 ES also has HID bulbs, but not this problem. The 2010 GS is very much like this and also a problem.

Is this just “how it is?” If so, is there a work-around to get a more conventional beam distance to make night driving safer?

Last edited by Oro; 02-02-24 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-02-24, 07:40 AM
XRX
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 02-02-24, 09:58 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 773 Likes on 556 Posts

Does your car have AFS or non-AFS? I have non-AFS HID on my 2008 (Got them from a 330), and I also have an AFS headlight assembly sitting in the basement. There are more reports of people complaining about the way light is output from the AFS lights. The AFS headlight is from a 350 and it has a noticeable squirrel finder at the top. The AFS headlight also seems to have more of a drop off like you mentioned. I never drove the car with that AFS light on as the housing was cracked, but let me know if you'd like some comparison pictures.
Old 02-02-24, 01:13 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

hmmm... it sounds like you may be talking projector vs non-projector.
while projector headlights are "brighter" and maybe have a longer reach, they have a clear see/can't see distance. It doesn't fade from bright to dim (on the ground), like a reflector-type headlight like your 2002 ES.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is 1.05 degree slope? are you saying that your headlight is point down due to slope? Even with that slope at 24 feet, the line drop is 3"?
That seems a bit high to me. Is it possible that the headlight is aimed too high? 3" inch drop on flat ground at 15-feet sounds okay to me, but @24 feet sounds like it's not pointing down enough.

May need pictures. Also, if the HIDs bulbs are aftermarket (not Osram/Philips) and/or over 2-3 years old (on average) then you may need to change them out also. I think OEM headlights are starting to age for our cars. Aftermarket replacements will never get to factory projector spec.

Good luck and post a picture

Last edited by joedaddy1; 02-02-24 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 02:12 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 317 Posts

These are the original projector/HID units, not aftermarket. New correct bulbs. Clear lenses. Non-AFS.

Re: slope. The slope is the traditional way of adjusting or evaluating headlights - you measure bulb height, center-beam focus (or in the case o the HID, I measured the top of the light beam; it is a distinct line). Usually it is -1.x% slope. E.g. - if bulbs are 33” high (a in this case), the beam center/intensity will be about 3” lower at 25’. I measured this and the beam was a negative 1.05% slope, which is typical value. For reference, here is the value stamped on my truck’s headlight assembly, indicating to set it to a -1.3% value.

It’s daytime now but I can try to take some pictures tonight; I’ll be w/my parents as it’s my dad’s 75th b-day today.

Typical low beam adjustment value:

Last edited by Oro; 02-03-24 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (02-03-24)
Old 02-03-24, 07:48 AM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
The low beams on it seem awfully low. My older parents drive it and it is troublesome to them. I have searched but not found this a common complaint, unlike it is with some newer models (GS it is a real issue to many, e.g.).

I properly measured the low beam slope, and the beam drops 3” at 24’, for a -1.05% slope. That sounds pretty correct to me, and that is at top elevation. Meaning: the very top edge of the illuminated zone, which is a very abrupt transition w/the HID bulbs from illuminated to dark.

The problem is, that is the very top edge of the beam and there’s no “scatter” above (and thus beyond that) like with a normal bulb. Normal bulbs would have the slope measured to the focal center of the pattern, then still have scatter above that. I test drove it at night and agree w/my father, the range is short in comparison to most other cars, and is uncomfortable on dark roads - say when you dim for distant oncoming traffic. The 2002 ES also has HID bulbs, but not this problem. The 2010 GS is very much like this and also a problem.

Is this just “how it is?” If so, is there a work-around to get a more conventional beam distance to make night driving safer?
I also have a 2005 RX 330 with HID Low Beam bulbs. I've had them adjusted Up to Va. State Inspection limits for Low Beam.
I've Upgraded to an Extended Range Night Vision HID bulb............Nothing has helped this problem of Poor Low Beam Performance and being able to see at Night and driving over 40mph. I've also Upgraded the Ballasts and Polished the HL lenses!
No Difference, a Very Poor Design!
And I Don't Need Glasses!!
Old 02-04-24, 02:41 AM
eponeddo
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low beams seem too low 2004 RX 330

Originally Posted by Oro

I have this same issue with my 2004 RX 330. End up using my high beams most of the time as unable to see well at night with the low beams. Is this something Lexus will fix for free?
Old 02-05-24, 09:04 PM
XRX
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by eponeddo
I have this same issue with my 2004 RX 330. End up using my high beams most of the time as unable to see well at night with the low beams. Is this something Lexus will fix for free?

Old 02-06-24, 03:54 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by eponeddo
#9006 Sylvania LED foglite bulbs do wonnders.........
Old 02-08-24, 01:21 AM
Pullhook
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say "normal bulb" you mean a halogen bulb in a reflector headlight housing, correct?
From your description it sounds like your parents car is equipped with projector type headlights that normally come with HID bulbs.
Xenon HID bulbs are much brighter than halogen and projector lens are designed to have little or no scatter above the cut-off line so as not to blind oncoming traffic. Below the cut-off line it should be much brighter than halogen but HID bulbs can and do lose brightness over time whereas halogen simply burn out.

This YT video gives an idea what I mean:

Replacing the bulbs could fix the problem, I recently did on my 2008 RX350 and the difference was huge, same with the HIDs in my 2008 VW Golf R32.
One point to note, Good HID bulbs are expensive but you need to bite the bullet and stick with major brands like Osram, Philips, Sylvania or Hella.
There are a lot of cheap bulbs and fake OEM branded bulbs on the internet that do not perform well so be careful, buy from a reputable dealer if in any doubt.