RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Manual key does not unlock (nor lock)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 11:17 AM
mattwe
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual key does not unlock (nor lock)

Hello, I just discovered that I can not unlock (nor lock) with my manual key, my 2004 RX330. Lock/unlock with the fob buttons works as advertised. When I attempt to lock or unlock manually the key inserts without issue and rotation is equal in tension and equal in either direction, approximately 12 o'clock +/- 10 . There is no audible or tactile sense indicating the mechanism is locking or unlocking. I experience the same behavior with all four keys: 2 master (black), 1 sub (gray), 1 flat key. AFAIK, these are the original keys and I am the 2nd owner. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this an issue for the dealership?
Old 02-05-24, 09:13 PM
XRX
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Physical connection from key fob to lock is broken or detached. To diagnose you need to remove door panel.
PS: You need plan B in case of sudden 12v battery death - Dead battery, physical key not working, how to get intro get into car ? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 02-06-24, 09:03 AM
mattwe
5th Gear

Originally Posted by XRX
Physical connection from key fob to lock is broken or detached. To diagnose you need to remove door panel.
PS: You need plan B in case of sudden 12v battery death - Dead battery, physical key not working, how to get intro get into car ? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Thanks for the response. The plot thickens: I cannot start the car with either the gray nor the flat key - they do not rotate after insertion. It would appear I have two separate issues.
1. No physical key manually unlocks/locks the drivers door.
2. Only the two master keys turn over the ignition.
Seems to me this is an issue for the dealer. What do you think? Do you know if there non-dealer repair options for these issues?
Old 02-06-24, 09:25 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

The dealer can handle this, but it will be the most expensive option. Many locksmiths have the electronics to program new fobs if needed and can advise you if they can cut keys or if you need new lock cylinders. I wouldn't be too concerned about a new valet key, but you may be.
Old 02-06-24, 09:36 AM
Leeper
Intermediate

Received 169 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwe
Thanks for the response. The plot thickens: I cannot start the car with either the gray nor the flat key - they do not rotate after insertion. It would appear I have two separate issues.
1. No physical key manually unlocks/locks the drivers door.
2. Only the two master keys turn over the ignition.
Seems to me this is an issue for the dealer. What do you think? Do you know if there non-dealer repair options for these issues?
Techstream ought to solve your issue by decoupling then recoupling a key one at a time.
There are two independent things going one:

Key in ignition:
#1 - does your master and subsequent keys fit your ignition key hole and turn properly (was the key physically cut right)? if not you'll need to get one properly cut, keys can wear out over time or may have not been cut right to begin with
#2 - when a key is inserted into the ignition does the security light stop flashing (does your car recognize the microchip in the key fob)? If YES then it should start the car, if not then your car needs reprogramming to accept the key (done with Techstream or the dealership and be prepared to pay a LOT for something that should take them upwards of 3-5 mins to do)

Remote to open doors:
Do the buttons on your key fob operate the door locks? If not that is easy to reprogram yourself but first I'd suggest unless you know that the battery is new to change the battery... always read the date code on battery packets to ensure they are new as lots of realy old batteries are being sold out there and are dead upon arrival

There are ample YouTune videos showing how to use Techstream to program keys to your car as well as many showing how to program your car to accept a new key fob to operate doors
Old 02-06-24, 01:33 PM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwe
Hello, I just discovered that I can not unlock (nor lock) with my manual key, my 2004 RX330. Lock/unlock with the fob buttons works as advertised. When I attempt to lock or unlock manually the key inserts without issue and rotation is equal in tension and equal in either direction, approximately 12 o'clock +/- 10 . There is no audible or tactile sense indicating the mechanism is locking or unlocking. I experience the same behavior with all four keys: 2 master (black), 1 sub (gray), 1 flat key. AFAIK, these are the original keys and I am the 2nd owner. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this an issue for the dealership?
It sounds like the little arm that is on the end of the lock cylinder has been removed, I don't kno why!
I'd remove a exterior door handle and check it out!
It may have been the car was stolen or the physical keys lost, and the door handle exterior locks were Disabled!
It's just an Idea!

Old 02-08-24, 01:00 PM
mattwe
5th Gear

RESOLUTION: mobile locksmith. And, valet key and flat key work fine; user error. ;-) Thank you all for your input.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (02-08-24)