RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 rx330 Steering problem and loud Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 04:08 PM
Buckaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post 04 rx330 Steering problem and loud Exhaust

Hello, today I realize for some reason my steering wheel is hard to turn and its not like truck hard its like semi hard. For example when I turn the steering wheel it comes in waves. When i turn it to the right it goes hard, then easy, then hard, then easy, then hard, then easy, and if i turn left its the same but backwards. It seems like when whenever the bottom steering wheel handle points east to west it gets hard but whenever it goes up and down it easy. I search on the internet but its no good. Its like a multiple choice but its with U comes up with the question, Google comes up with the answer, and you hopefully has to pick the right answer or you get it wrong and have to spend money to try again. What Google says the problem is between the Power steering fluid level (full), Power steering belt ( which is going to be replace with in the week. Its in my trailer somewhere), Power steering pump (which is going to be replace with in the also week. No leakage. Its in my trailer somewhere, also), then the steering linkage ( which the lower control arms, ball joint, inner and outer rods has been replaced last month). It being raining for 3 days straight and now dried up maybe that have to deal with the steering problem but where should i spray WD 40 to loose it up.

Also from since last month my right side has been wobbling for some reason. As i said i already changed the lower control arm and rods. Then I change out the axle because had gotten bad and it gushed out grease all over the inner tire rim. Good thing i replace the whole axle instead of the boot because when i shake the axle it was super loose like the joints was shot. But I'm still having a wobble motion on the right side its not hard noticeable like last time but its noticeable it you look at the passenger seat belt buckle and see it shaking.

Then the loud exhaust, you can hear it coming from the bank 2 area. It sounds like one of those old trucks. Ive change out the Bank 2 Catalytic Converter because it was an aftermarket one. The o2 sensor keep alerting the service engine light when the aftermarket one was on also when ever I press the gas pedal I can here some popping noise from inside even if the car windows was up that how I know its from bank 2. I changed the Catalytic and got the 02 sensors to go away but I still have the loud exhaust. Ive check all the pipes and haven't found any hole in them. I also changed the spark plug and fuel injectors, still loud. Im also stumped on this one as well.

Ur expertise and opinion would be helpful.
thanks
Old 02-11-24, 05:36 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 810 Likes on 576 Posts

Spray steering shaft with penetrating oil and see if it loosens up. The u-joint on mine seized. Keep old PS pump or if you replace still keep it around as aftermarket pumps on these are usually garbage (many members can attest to that)

I rebuilt my stock pump with 10 dollar Rockauto seal kit and it is going strong

Did you change the flange gaskets when you did the cat? The gaskets sometimes don’t seal if reused as they are soft lead and get squished when tightened.
The following 3 users liked this post by MattRX:
Buckaro (02-12-24), fred9xx (02-12-24), SJM (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 03:03 AM
Buckaro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MattRX
Spray steering shaft with penetrating oil and see if it loosens up. The u-joint on mine seized. Keep old PS pump or if you replace still keep it around as aftermarket pumps on these are usually garbage (many members can attest to that)

I rebuilt my stock pump with 10 dollar Rockauto seal kit and it is going strong

Did you change the flange gaskets when you did the cat? The gaskets sometimes don’t seal if reused as they are soft lead and get squished when tightened.
Ok so spray the steering shaft first.

For the cat, yes it came with a new gasket but felt so thin. I was thinking about getting a another so it would be 2 of them there. The Old one was damaged.

Also I forgot to mentioned when ever I turn the steering wheel it makes a squeaking noise from inside the steering wheel is that bad? Also the motor that pushes the steering wheel out tends to click sometimes.

Last edited by Buckaro; 02-12-24 at 03:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Buckaro:
fred9xx (02-12-24), SJM (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 10:05 AM
MattRX
Racer

The squeaking from the inside is from the rubber boot rubbing on the steering shaft. Some Sil Glyde or silicone lube will stop the noise for probably another 5 years
The following users liked this post:
Buckaro (02-12-24)
Old 02-13-24, 12:12 PM
Buckaro
Driver School Candidate

Ok so i went to my local mechanic shop and figure out some stuff even though i knew it was the problem. They said that the problem out the steering wheel where is goes easy then hard is that the Power steering pump is going bad i need to replace it. Also they find out that the fluid that was in the container wasn't power steering fluid. It was Transmission Fluid. Dont know how that happen but ok. Then my hydraulic engine mount in the front of the car gone bad. He told me to go get it from a Lexus parts website because rockauto hydraulics doesn't work properly. Finally back cat 2 dounut gasket went bad. So yeah i hope this solves it.
Old 02-13-24, 12:15 PM
MattRX
Racer

Go to a different shop. The system takes and is designed to house Dexron trans fluid from the factory. Sounds like they want to shoot the parts cannon at you
Old 02-16-24, 04:11 AM
Buckaro
Driver School Candidate

Ok so i went to another mechanic and he said the same thing. "Boss man you need to change your power steering pump, Its getting old. The engine mounts would need to be replace but its not in a rush. We heard your steering wheel squeaking so we lube that up for you. Also those rotors front and back need to change because they have chips in them plus when you do change them also change the brakes at the same time. Now your loud muffler we can hear it coming from the engine/ cat area. We check all the pipes and see no holes in them. I would say even though the gaskets are brand new get new ones and replaced them. There is one between the cat and engine and there is a dounut and 2 O ring ones thats connect the y shape pipe that connect the exhaust should only cost $20 to get all of them from rock auto. Get those as well and its up to you to have them there or to replace them all one time. Other than that the car looks good". So yeah that what he found.