RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX-330 noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 10:03 AM
tomrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up rxdriver: Thanks for the info.

My RX330 is also having ticking noise, but it's barely only I pay very close attention. I have no problem with it and wait till the right solution exists.

Thanks again for the TSB update.
Old 01-10-04, 05:09 AM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the ticking noise also under the dash instrument panel. I pointed it out to the dealer when I had the car in for the 5000 mile maintenance. I was told the cause is the fuel injectors and that Lexus knows of the problem and that the complaint is well known from RX330 owners. He did not know when Lexus will have a fix. He said the sound is so noticable due to the engine being so far back under the firewall and the injectors are very close to the instrument panel area under the dash. Mine did not start the problem until about 3500 miles however. It cannot be heard when the radio is playing, but is extremely noticable with no noises in the car and no radio playing. I can live with this until they find a fix. It's the only issue we have had with our car. I am sorry the previous poster has so many complaints about his RX because I can relate. My last Dodge product was a big POS and I know how that feels. I purchased the Lexus specifically on it's reputation of quality and I have not been disappointed.

RickC
Old 01-12-04, 09:45 PM
evictor
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks to the post by rxdriver outlining the 4 TSIB's relating to noises and rattles, I discovered the explanation for my "Instrument Panel Rattle" and "Glove Box Rattle". The instrument panel ratlle was especially bad in colder weather.

Armed with this information, my local dealer readily did the required work. They needed the car for the day. According to the invoice, the Instrument Panel Rattle required the removal of the dash pad and insulating the defroster nozzle. There is a noise kit for this. To deal with the Glove Box Rattle, the glove compartment door subassembly was insulated.

I am pleased to report that, so far, the instrument panel noise has been significantly eliminated, but the glove box rattle still remains.

Last edited by evictor; 02-04-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 03:14 PM
mdrx300
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash Rattle

I have had the dash rattle in my RX330 for a while now and have taken it back to the dealer on several occasions. LIke the others on this board, the dealer performed the work pursuant to the TSBs mentioned here. Unfortunately, I still have the rattle. I received a call today from my dealer saying that they "just got off a conference call" (with whom, I have no idea) and now are confident that the rattle is coming from the vents. The dealer said they will felt the vent area for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-15-04, 10:00 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by derek985
It's threads like these that make me happy I bought an end-of-production-run-leftover-2003-RX300 instead of the "new and improved' RX330.

I'm already looking forward to my next Lexus which will be a leftover 2007 RX330 purchased arond Jan 2008. I hope that by then - all the bugs are thoroughly worked out.
I understand your point, but there is something to be said for driving the latest model, even though the odds of experiencing some nuisance-type issues is somewhat greater. For a new model, the RX330 seems pretty solid, and there are many improvements to be enjoyed over the 300.
Old 01-16-04, 04:18 AM
RickC
Driver

I have not had any rattle issues with mine.

RickC
Old 01-16-04, 06:16 AM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

i agree with jrb. i traded my 2001 RX for the 330 and love it. eventhough i too have those nuisance issues i still find myself occasionally opening the garage door and looking at it which is something i never did with the 300.
Old 01-16-04, 06:19 AM
lamk
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash rattle

I have the dash rattle too. The dealer stuck rubber mount between the dash and the windscreen. They also insulated the intake couvre. The dash is still there. Anyone who has the dash rattle and have it successfully fixed, please kindly let us know what exactly the dealer have done so we can go back to our dealer with some suggestion.
Old 01-16-04, 10:01 AM
RickC
Driver

I have to stop chatting with you guys. I drove mine this morning and noticed the dash rattle.

:-)

RickC
Old 02-04-04, 03:17 PM
mdrx300
Driver School Candidate

At long last, I think my dash rattle has been solved. The dealer told me they insulated the ac vents as well as padded the cowl under the windshield. Apparently, the RAV4s have exhibited a similar problem/rattle since their introduction and the fix was to insulate or secure the cowl. Here's a link to a RAV4 owner's fix for the RAV4 cowl rattle.

http://members.tripod.com/ri_rav4/rattle.htm

I don't know what precisely my dealer did to the cowl since I didn't get a copy of the service ticket when I picked up the car. When I receive it in the mail, I can post the info if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, I now seem to have an intermittent buzzing/rattle that seems to be coming from the passenger side door or maybe even from the passenger seat. Not nearly as annoying as the dash rattle though but will have it checked out soon.

Thanks everyone for posting all of your helpful info.
Old 02-04-04, 10:47 PM
rx330blk
Driver School Candidate

mdrx300,

Thanks for the update on the rattle coming from the dash area. I plan to take mine to the dealer in the coming weeks and your input, I think, will greatly help the techs in finding and eliminating the points of my rattles.
I too, also have a buzzing noise coming from the car; however, instead of being on the passenger side door mine is coming from the drivers side door. If you get this fixed I would love to know what the solution is, so that I can inform my dealer on ways of going about fixing it.

Thanks
Old 02-05-04, 05:07 AM
mdrx300
Driver School Candidate

rx330blk,

No problem. I hope you get your issues resolved. Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide. btw: the dealer that helped me was Lexus of Rockville in Rockville, Maryland.
Old 03-02-04, 06:26 PM
JKIrwin
Driver School Candidate

Post RX 330 noise problems

Experiencing that annoying ticking, and was told by the dealer (not crazy about my first experience with them at 1000 mi check) that it was the fuel injector. So, I wrote to Lexus, of course they called back while I was at work. Will keep you informed of the story they give me.

We definately need to organize and make a 'class action' complaint. The dealers sure give you the 'fluff off' whenever they can. There must be someone in the club that is an attorney. HELP!!

Although I'm not quite as disappointed as Kimber, I don't think that Lexus has met the standards of a quality vehicle, espically after reading all the problems. Can't believe that we traded in a wonderful 2001 Camry for this!!!!! :- {
Old 03-03-04, 05:02 AM
RickC
Driver

I was told the clicking was the fuel injectors also. They don't bother me that badly. I love my Lexus and can understand a few bugs since it was a body change this year. I do have a deposit down on a new 05 though.

RickC
Old 04-01-04, 12:52 PM
pfsacer
Driver

Hi All,

I ordered the RX330 yesterday, and should be delivered in June, are all the issues by now resolved on current production vehicles ??

Mine is coming from Japan, and should be April/May production

Quick Reply: RX-330 noise