RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Master key question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24 | 11:08 AM
hiljak
2nd gear

Default Master key question

Hey guys, just picked up a 2008 RX350 that came with a valet key and also just the remote part of the master key (looks like the key blade broke off at some point). The remote works to unlock and lock the car. I did some research and see that you need a master key in order to program a replacement key so my question: Is the transponder in the remote or in the missing key blade? I'm thinking I may be able to save some money by getting a new key blade and exterior remote case for the broken/keyblade-less remote I have from the master key, moving the internals of the remote over to the new case and having the new blade cut. Would this new cut unit start the car or is the transponder in the actual keyblade itself which I don't have? Thank you!
Old 04-12-24 | 12:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Transponder chip is in the key blade not the remote module. You can't add any new keys without a master key I suggest seeking out a locksmith to program one for you.
Old 04-12-24 | 01:36 PM
hiljak
2nd gear

In case anyone else finds this, the information provided above is not correct. The transponder chip is in the remote part of the key, not the metal key blade itself. The person above is probably confused because the remote functions and the immobilizer functions have separate programming methods, however, they are both located in the plastic part of the key, not in the metal key blade. If anyone finds themselves in the position I'm in (have the working remote part of the master key but not the metal key blade), you can order a replacement shell with a cut key blade from ebay or similar, move the electronic module over to the new shell and you have a working master key. If you find yourself in a situation where all you have is the valet key, you're still not hosed with a $300 dealer visit. What you need is to buy the bootleg version of techstream on Ebay that comes with the VCI OBD2 to USB connector (about $35 on ebay). Once you have that and you have the software installed on a laptop computer, here's exactly what you need to do:

Open techstream, connect to vehicle, answer the feature questions then you will come to a screen that shows you all of the ECUs in the vehicle. Double click on immobilizer, then on the next screen click utility. Then click Immobilizer code reset. Follow the directions carefully. You will need to have your VIN ready and the techstream software will generate a seed code. Google Toyota pincode generator and you will have to pay about $10 to generate your keycode from your VIN and the seed code provided by techstream. Once you enter this pincode back in techstream, just follow the prompts. All in it should cost you about $100 ($50 for the replacement key, $35 for techstream, and $10 for pincode). After you do this and have a working master key, you can easily add more keys without needing to fire up techstream. Figured I would add this info for the next guy.

Last edited by hiljak; 04-12-24 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-14-24 | 12:45 PM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hiljak
In case anyone else finds this, the information provided above is not correct. The transponder chip is in the remote part of the key, not the metal key blade itself. The person above is probably confused because the remote functions and the immobilizer functions have separate programming methods, however, they are both located in the plastic part of the key, not in the metal key blade. If anyone finds themselves in the position I'm in (have the working remote part of the master key but not the metal key blade), you can order a replacement shell with a cut key blade from ebay or similar, move the electronic module over to the new shell and you have a working master key. If you find yourself in a situation where all you have is the valet key, you're still not hosed with a $300 dealer visit. What you need is to buy the bootleg version of techstream on Ebay that comes with the VCI OBD2 to USB connector (about $35 on ebay). Once you have that and you have the software installed on a laptop computer, here's exactly what you need to do:

Open techstream, connect to vehicle, answer the feature questions then you will come to a screen that shows you all of the ECUs in the vehicle. Double click on immobilizer, then on the next screen click utility. Then click Immobilizer code reset. Follow the directions carefully. You will need to have your VIN ready and the techstream software will generate a seed code. Google Toyota pincode generator and you will have to pay about $10 to generate your keycode from your VIN and the seed code provided by techstream. Once you enter this pincode back in techstream, just follow the prompts. All in it should cost you about $100 ($50 for the replacement key, $35 for techstream, and $10 for pincode). After you do this and have a working master key, you can easily add more keys without needing to fire up techstream. Figured I would add this info for the next guy.
Hi, I took my Damaged KEY on my Transponder Key Fob along with my vehicle registration/drivers license to my local locksmith, and he cut a new Key Blade, just the blade Only, which I keep in my wallet for unexpected emergencies, for $50!
I Hope this Helps, it's a lot easier than other options!