RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tips for a new owner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24 | 02:48 PM
agdrives
4th Gear

Default Tips for a new owner?

Hey guys. I am a teen who just got an '06 RX400h as my first car. It is AWD and seems to have all the premium options. It runs great, even at over 150k miles. I just really love the car. I was also wondering if anyone had any tips, or suggestions for mods/accessories, especially CarPlay. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Bluetheron (05-18-24)
Old 05-11-24 | 07:17 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by agdrives
Hey guys. I am a teen who just got an '06 RX400h as my first car. It is AWD and seems to have all the premium options. It runs great, even at over 150k miles. I just really love the car. I was also wondering if anyone had any tips, or suggestions for mods/accessories, especially CarPlay. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I'll tell you all the things you don't want to hear but need to hear nonetheless

First tip - Put aside a couple grand for expected and unexpected maintenance, insurance, etc
Second tip - forget about ANY mods until the car has been assured to run properly and everythng is up to date including: spark plugs, all air filters, all rubber suspension bits (LCA's, ball joints, sway bar links front and rear) as well as struts, brakes, check tires condition and date codes, when was the last time the coolant was changed? Do yo know the condition of the battery? When was the radiator last checked out? When was the trans fluid, diff, enogine oil, rear diff fluid last changed? Get the car right and your ability to weather a storm LONG before worrying about gadgetry. At those miles most all these things have to be addressed
Third tip - there is a ton of valuable posts on this site that will answer all the questions you have use the search option

Congrats on the car, good luck
Old 05-11-24 | 08:17 PM
agdrives
4th Gear

Thanks. It was serviced last month and everything works great. It has a brand new battery and set of tires.
Old 05-12-24 | 04:25 AM
WagonRut
Driver School Candidate

Besides the first reply which all new kids forget about...

Replace the water pump and timing belt if it wasn't done and you can verify it. They usually put a sticker under the hood with the date and maybe the mileage. There's $1000 spent that will keep you from buying a new engine.

Wash out and clean the hatch seal rubber every spring. Now is a good time. Leaks aren't funny and they smell bad for MONTHS.

Get familiar with the oil change procedure and stay on top of it, air filter, cabin air filter too. Check the spare tire pressure when you do the oil change.
Verify you have a spare tire, tire tool, jack, pair of gloves, and a pad to lay down on. You only get flats when the rain is falling sideways, wind is 60mph, and over a patch of stickers/grass burrs. Hail is 5 minutes away. You can change a tire in 10.

That should get you started. Oh, and stop fiddling with the radio. Drive. Don't hold up traffic. Get in the lane you want 1 mile before hand and stay within 1-2 car lengths of the car in front of you. People today get distracted too easily and it's causing road rage. Don't be the guy that gets shot for trying to merge into the right hand lane at the last minute.
Bluetheron (05-18-24)
Old 05-12-24 | 06:18 AM
Leeper
Intermediate

Thanks. It was serviced last month and everything works great. It has a brand new battery and set of tires.
OP don't forget we were once your age with a new-to-us car full of excitement, now we're older guys who pretty much still get that same exact excitement when we get it new to us toy the only difference is that either we or enough of our friends ran into problems that could/should have been considered. Our words of caution are not given to damper your excitement in any way contrary to how it may be perceived. Go to any car show tell me all those older guys with great looking cars are any less excted about their toys than you are. those are they ride and joy babies just as yours is now.

With my first car I was exactly like you so excited couldn't wait to customize and make it mine happy to push aside verifying things were mechnically sound before making it "cool"... 6 mo later the engine throwa rod through the oil pan. My son's first car he did the same in wanting to make his new to him car cool, got it then a couple weeks later it needed new tires and a new clutch but he spent all his money customizing it instead of doing the obvious needed things. He proceeded to poured lots of cash into it with thousands in stereo stuff, new rims/tires, lowered it, etc sold it only a couple years later for less than he bought it for let alone several thousands lost on customizing it. They're are lessons there to be avoided. Learning from others mistakes doesn't always mean foregin or dampening your own excitement. this is said not just for new to you cars but almost every life lesson (finances especially).

Your mention of "Serviced"... what did that service entail? Most services mean the most basic oil, filter, possibly engine air filter.. were the vital things previously mentioned addressed? Highly likely they were not. Also what is the competency level of the mechanic? Remember they truly don't care if youur car blows up it is not their problem it is yours they are paid to "plug n play" not to assure things are proper even from dealerships charging excessive rates.. I've seen many really poor mechanics, search the posts here you'll hear many stories even from dealerships (which I personally would never consider using). When I bought my first car it needed a clutch before I drove it so took it to a gas station mechanic my dad advised the quality of workmanship was trrilbe but waht did I know then... like you I could tell others the clutch was done but was it really "serviced" and was my car proper ready for many miles? See the difference? Was a PPI ( pre purchase inspection) done on your car? Not likely. Were the above items thoroughly checked out or the engine oil, air filter changed and a minor pass over done?

Again tons of great info on this and most sites especially if read without biases also tons of opinions some good some not so much. "Search" functionis your friend here. I have info regarding you desire for Android auto/Apple car play posted here

Congrats, hope your car gives you many miles of safe, trouble free miles

You came here asking for advise there it is. If you have any direct questions I'm happy to help enough preaching on my side off my soapbox. Best of luck sir

Last edited by Leeper; 05-12-24 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-12-24 | 06:54 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Wow, some hard and harsh lessons in the replies! By now you must be reeling! Cannot disagree with any of those points. And here's a few more ideas...
First, enjoy every moment in the car - you deserve it.
Second, find yourself a good mechanic - doesn't have to be a Lexus mechanic, a Toyota mechanic will do famously. Ask around your area, on this forum, etc. and you will eventually find a mechanic. Take the car to that mechanic and have him/her look it over and give you a list of what should be done, and the priority of each.
Third, as money is available, tick off each of those items starting with the highest priority item and working your way down the priority list.
Fourth, see the First.
The very best of luck to you, young man.
Old 05-12-24 | 07:06 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Welcome to CL.........Great around vehicle......Being a hybrid, I'd add to check & clean the filters for the cooling fans to the hybrid battery. which are in front of the rear seat.
Old 06-01-24 | 09:42 AM
agdrives
4th Gear

Default sorry for the late response

Thanks everyone for all the tips. Also sorry for the late response, just wrapped up finals. Regarding the maintenance of the car, I purchased it from my parents, who are the original owners and have kept it in immaculate condition. The timing belt was replaced about 15000 miles ago so that seems good. I did an oil change today too.
Old 06-04-24 | 12:01 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for all the tips. Also sorry for the late response, just wrapped up finals. Regarding the maintenance of the car, I purchased it from my parents, who are the original owners and have kept it in immaculate condition. The timing belt was replaced about 15000 miles ago so that seems good. I did an oil change today too.
Thats great that you got it off parents, so you should have all the records.....
Old 06-04-24 | 12:35 PM
evident
Racer

Listen to everyone above. maintenance should be your first priority! check behind your passenger wheel well to see if you have a torn boot and if its leaking power steering fluid. common issue. Not sure if the hybrids use electric power steering or not in this generation.

for your stereo needs, your absolute best bang for your buck, low cost solution is to get a USASPEC BT45-TOY Bluetooth adapter kit to have seamless bluetooth integration along with calling functions. that should allow you to play music and make phone calls. get a cd mounted cellphone holder if you need it for maps. I do not recommend the tesla style dash replacements whatsoever. they ALL have problems

Last edited by evident; 06-05-24 at 08:11 AM.
Joyous56 (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24 | 02:47 AM
Joyous56
Rookie

Love this post and the follow-on comments. I recently bought a 2008 RX 400h and have learned more from this forum than I ever thought I'd want to know. Yep, it's fun to get a "new" car and want to enhance, but unless we take care of the basics, nothing else matters. I've come to love this SUV, but if I neglect it, it won't be fun at all.
Old 06-09-24 | 07:57 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joyous56
Love this post and the follow-on comments. I recently bought a 2008 RX 400h and have learned more from this forum than I ever thought I'd want to know. Yep, it's fun to get a "new" car and want to enhance, but unless we take care of the basics, nothing else matters. I've come to love this SUV, but if I neglect it, it won't be fun at all.
Yea it is a great all around vehicle, as I found. Sure is different then what I'm use to thou. My wife <3 it.
Joyous56 (06-10-24)
Old 09-15-24 | 07:18 AM
agdrives
4th Gear

i took a loooong break from CL, but thanks to everyone who replied