RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver's Side CV Axle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-24, 09:23 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

stuck slide pins

Lexus has rubber bushings and bushing dust boots

https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...st-cover#47775
(Tweak the data at top left of page to your specific vehicle )

These parts get swollen over time, especially when using different grease to lube (cyl-glide, etc). Once swollen, the slide pins no longer move. I found the best lubricant is what's called for by Toyota.
lithium soap base glycol grease P/N 08887-01206

Old 06-23-24, 10:14 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fortitude
stuck slide pins

Lexus has rubber bushings and bushing dust boots

https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...st-cover#47775
(Tweak the data at top left of page to your specific vehicle )

These parts get swollen over time, especially when using different grease to lube (cyl-glide, etc). Once swollen, the slide pins no longer move. I found the best lubricant is what's called for by Toyota.
lithium soap base glycol grease P/N 08887-01206
Thanks. I got a synthetic grease called Super Lube but the pins just still seem to not move much. I also replaced the rubber boots and the little rubber bushings on the two lower pins.

Last edited by HobieMarty; 06-24-24 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-23-24, 07:15 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Update: Today I removed the passenger side axle. I went ahead and removed the entire steering knuckle so I could clean it up really well and clean the rest of the suspension area. The axle came out fairly easy without too much drama.
When removing the axle nut, I did break my 1/2 drive Craftsman breaker bar!!! I borrowed a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar and 30mm socket from my brother-in-law's toolbox and used a long cheater pipe to break the nut loose. I believe the axle and nut are original as it is the old style with a cotter pin. The axle that I just replaced on the driver's side had a slot for the nut to be "staked" and the nut was a 32mm. So, when the axle arrives in a few days, I should be able to install it fairly quickly.

Old 06-24-24, 11:06 AM
evident
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

pretty wild that the breaker bar broke! I've never attempted to remove axlenuts with hand tools, always with an impact
Old 06-24-24, 11:14 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by evident
pretty wild that the breaker bar broke! I've never attempted to remove axlenuts with hand tools, always with an impact
I have a small electric impact but it is definitely not strong enough to break an axle nut loose. I've always just used a breaker bar and a pipe for leverage. When that 1/2 inch bar broke, I then I went bigger and beefier with a 3/4 inch breaker bar. If the 3/4 inch bar had broken then I would've been in a world of hurt for sure.
The following users liked this post:
JMW (06-25-24)
Old 06-24-24, 05:55 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by HobieMarty
Update: Today I removed the passenger side axle. I went ahead and removed the entire steering knuckle so I could clean it up really well and clean the rest of the suspension area. The axle came out fairly easy without too much drama.
When removing the axle nut, I did break my 1/2 drive Craftsman breaker bar!!! I borrowed a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar and 30mm socket from my brother-in-law's toolbox and used a long cheater pipe to break the nut loose. I believe the axle and nut are original as it is the old style with a cotter pin. The axle that I just replaced on the driver's side had a slot for the nut to be "staked" and the nut was a 32mm. So, when the axle arrives in a few days, I should be able to install it fairly quickly.

I broke my breaker bar doing axels on my previous car. Interestingly, I happened to be using a Craftsman bar also. Since removing the axle nut was about the first thing I was doing, I drove the car over to a repair shop and asked them to bust it loose. They came out with an impact and broke it loose and didn't charge me.
Old 07-01-24, 08:14 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Update: Today I replaced the passenger side axle and ball joint. The noise is still there. The noise is not a constant sound but more of a wobble wobble wobble or scraping sound. I had the front up on jackstands with the tires off the ground and turned the wheels by hand and even had someone turn the steering wheel as I was turning the wheels. I really didn't hear anything but I did feel like the driver's side wheel was binding a bit as I turned it. I am going to recheck the slider pins again because they seem to be too stiff and don't seem to move at all even after greasing them recently. Geez, I am running out of things to replace. So far, I've replaced both axles, the driver's side steering knuckle with bearing and hub, ball joints on both sides and had the rotors resurfaced along with greasing the slider pins. I noticed today that the noise doesn't happen when braking but only when driving straight and turning to the left like when I am going left around a roundabout. Maybe I will find the source of the noise soon. Stay tuned.

Old 07-02-24, 09:23 AM
evident
Racer

So lets make a running list.
You've resurfaced rotors, regreased slide pins

You've replaced the:

Wheel Bearings of both sides, Axles of both sides. Lower ball joints

You hear a wobble sound but you dont feel any vibrations when driving? have you tried rotating the tires to see if the noise moves? Could be a out of balance or bent wheel? at least that's free to do
Old 07-02-24, 09:29 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Yes I rotated the tires also, forgot to mention that, and the noise has remained and hasn't changed location or sound.There is no vibration or shaking when driving or braking. This really has me stumped.

Last edited by HobieMarty; 07-02-24 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-07-24, 12:07 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Well dang, I should change the title of this post to changing most of the front suspension because of a baffling noise!!!
I have now discovered the source of the noise to be a bad strut on the driver's side. I had my brother-in-law ride with me yesterday evening and he said it sounded more like a bumping sound and not a rotational sound. After parking the car he rocked the front end up and down while I was in the driver's seat and sure enough, the noise was there. Both front struts are missing the rubber bellows so I have 2 new struts on the way. Hopefully after installing the new struts the noise will be gone. Stay tuned.
Margate330 (07-07-24)
Old 07-14-24, 08:42 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

I replaced the front struts today and the noise is gone. Finally!!! So glad to finally finish this one. Now on to other things.

evident (07-15-24)
Old 07-15-24, 06:37 AM
evident
Racer

Congrats! now you have a completely brand new front suspension!
Old 07-15-24, 08:13 AM
Leeper
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

Have broken a couple Craftsman breaker bars iike that the same way. Really tough bolts/nuts seem to come off a lot easier with an impact banging against them. I've struggled hard against some then jsut tap it with an impact they come loose immediately. BTW Lowes just swapped out my damaged/broken Craftsman tools right away despite them being decades old and abused.

OP- glad you resolved your issue, I've got an annoying right front wheel suspension noise I'll be chasing for months, replaced LCA's, ball joints, steering links,sway bar bushings, and sway bar links plus checked every nut/bolt and wheel bearings no help I'll get some KYB struts here shortly as I refresh the front end hopefully that''ll be the end of it.
Old 07-15-24, 08:40 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Leeper
Have broken a couple Craftsman breaker bars iike that the same way. Really tough bolts/nuts seem to come off a lot easier with an impact banging against them. I've struggled hard against some then jsut tap it with an impact they come loose immediately. BTW Lowes just swapped out my damaged/broken Craftsman tools right away despite them being decades old and abused.

OP- glad you resolved your issue, I've got an annoying right front wheel suspension noise I'll be chasing for months, replaced LCA's, ball joints, steering links,sway bar bushings, and sway bar links plus checked every nut/bolt and wheel bearings no help I'll get some KYB struts here shortly as I refresh the front end hopefully that''ll be the end of it.
Thanks and good luck searching for the source of your noise.
Old 07-15-24, 09:45 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by Leeper
BTW Lowes just swapped out my damaged/broken Craftsman tools right away despite them being decades old and abused.

Hmmm, i wonder if i can get away with a busted 3/8 craftsman torque wrench? Warranty only says 1 year but wondering if i can get away with it

Quick Reply: Driver's Side CV Axle Replacement