RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver's Side CV Axle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 07:37 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Driver's Side CV Axle Replacement

So, my wife says to me that the RX350 is make a "wobble" sound coming from the driver's side when making a left turn. After confirming this, I jacked the car up, supported it on jack stands and did the ol wheel shake test to see if it was the wheel bearing and I didn't have any movement from the shake test. Next, I pulled the wheel off and noticed that grease had been escaping from the inside CV axle boot and I could move the clamping bands fairly easily. So, I am looking at replacing this axle very soon and I have been watching videos on how to do this job. One video I watched, the guy didn't have to use any special tools at all and I am wondering if that is actually the case or what? I know there is that clip on the inside splines to contend with but the guy didn't have to use anything to unclip or reinsert it. Any tips concerning this job are appreciated!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by HobieMarty:
JMW (06-25-24), SJM (06-03-24)
Old 05-23-24, 11:19 AM
evident
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by HobieMarty
So, my wife says to me that the RX350 is make a "wobble" sound coming from the driver's side when making a left turn. After confirming this, I jacked the car up, supported it on jack stands and did the ol wheel shake test to see if it was the wheel bearing and I didn't have any movement from the shake test. Next, I pulled the wheel off and noticed that grease had been escaping from the inside CV axle boot and I could move the clamping bands fairly easily. So, I am looking at replacing this axle very soon and I have been watching videos on how to do this job. One video I watched, the guy didn't have to use any special tools at all and I am wondering if that is actually the case or what? I know there is that clip on the inside splines to contend with but the guy didn't have to use anything to unclip or reinsert it. Any tips concerning this job are appreciated!!!
What video did you watch re: clip and splines?
I'm not familiar with the RX driver side axle but if the axle needs to be separated from a half shaft or something, you might be able to do that with just a socket that will fit between where the two parts meet. place the socket between the two parts and tap on it with a hammer and they will separate.

i've removed an axle before from my TSX to rebuild it and it's probably similar. I would at least get a ball joint separator to seperate the ball joint on your steering knuckle. I don't know if i'm just a weakling or something but i've never managed to get a ball joint or tie rod to seperate by just smacking the knuckle with a big hammer.
Amazon Amazon

for the CV Axle boot, you'll need one of those axle boot clamps to replace the clamp you took off.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by evident; 05-23-24 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-23-24, 11:29 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am replacing the entire axle with boots already installed. I will try to send the link to the video I watched, it will be later when I get home from work. The guy disconnected the tie rod end and the ball joint, and was able to swing the knuckle out of the way. Other than that, it was pretty much pulling on the axle and using a pry bar to get it out of the transmission.
Old 05-23-24, 11:40 AM
evident
Racer

ah then you'll just need a ball joint seperator tool to be able to swing the knuckle out of the way.
Old 05-23-24, 01:37 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by evident
ah then you'll just need a ball joint seperator tool to be able to swing the knuckle out of the way.
I have one of those. No need to separate the ball joint, just remove the two nuts and one bolt that hold the ball joint to the A arm and swing the knuckle out of the way. Of course you still have to pull the A arm down a little to release the bolts from the holes. Seems simple enough, famous last words. 😂

I cannot seem to figure out how to post a link to the YouTube video I watched. If you go to YouTube just search, "How to Replace CV Axle Lexus RX350 2004-2009 With Sizes and Torque Specs". The video is by 2CarPros.
I've watched a few for comparison and the 2CarPro video is the most straight forward I have seen on this task.

Last edited by HobieMarty; 05-24-24 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-27-24, 03:59 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd take a quick look at this video. Discusses toyota axle's in depth and shows how to fix torn boot.

The following users liked this post:
SJM (06-03-24)
Old 05-27-24, 08:26 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Thanks. The video I watched is super straight forward and simple. I completed the job yesterday and it wasn't difficult at all. The "wobble" noise is still there so apparently it is the wheel bearing making the noise after all, even though it passed the wheel shake test. Oh well, the axle needed to be replaced anyway. It came apart when I was taking it out, boot slipped right off the housing and I could see there was no grease inside at all so it was going to fail eventually.
I am not dealing with pressing in bearings and hubs, so I ordered a new steering knuckle complete with bearings and hub already installed. Stay tuned!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by HobieMarty:
Chapp (05-27-24), Margate330 (05-27-24), SJM (06-03-24)
Old 05-27-24, 08:32 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

...I am not dealing with pressing in bearings and hubs, so I ordered a new steering knuckle complete with bearings and hub already installed. Stay tuned!!!
Waiting for your update.

I know the day is coming when I'll need to do my bearings.

I'd really like OEM but the local repair shops just want to hang the aftermarket knuckles with pre installed bearing or they want to press in aftermarket ones and won't let me "bring my own bearings".

It's my only car so I don't have the luxury of bringing the knuckle to a machine shop to have new OEM bearings pressed in.

Y'all might ask, why not just hire Lexus to do it.
Yeah, I'm not paying their prices. Lol

Anyone know what the dealer charges for both front bearings, please post it up, maybe it's not thaaaaat bad

​​​​​​Maybe it is? Haha
SJM (06-03-24)
Old 05-27-24, 08:35 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Toyota could do it, but still cost more than I'd want to spend.
Old 05-27-24, 08:58 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Margate330
Waiting for your update.

I know the day is coming when I'll need to do my bearings.

I'd really like OEM but the local repair shops just want to hang the aftermarket knuckles with pre installed bearing or they want to press in aftermarket ones and won't let me "bring my own bearings".

It's my only car so I don't have the luxury of bringing the knuckle to a machine shop to have new OEM bearings pressed in.

Y'all might ask, why not just hire Lexus to do it.
Yeah, I'm not paying their prices. Lol

Anyone know what the dealer charges for both front bearings, please post it up, maybe it's not thaaaaat bad

​​​​​​Maybe it is? Haha
I have a 2000 RX300 also and I replaced the wheel bearings and hubs, both sides. It was difficult to find a shop that would press the old stuff out and new stuff in, ended up paying 95 bucks apiece and that was just pressing the stuff as I already had removed the parts and just took them to the shop. Oh and they only took cash!!! Yeah, I feel I got hosed on that deal, so, not doing that this time.
the steering knuckle should arrive Friday so, I am hoping to get this all done Saturday or Sunday.

By the way, here are pics from yesterday's axle replacement.

Last edited by HobieMarty; 05-27-24 at 09:02 AM.
SJM (06-03-24)
Old 05-27-24, 10:23 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by Chapp
Toyota could do it, but still cost more than I'd want to spend.
the toyota dealer near me is just as much as the lexus dealer from what I found. And their parts dept is astronomical compared to the lexus dealer. All I'm saying is ymmv
Old 05-27-24, 10:37 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by evident
the toyota dealer near me is just as much as the lexus dealer from what I found. And their parts dept is astronomical compared to the lexus dealer. All I'm saying is ymmv
Yeah, I try to do things myself when I can and as long as I have proper instructions and the correct tools, I will tackle just about anything.
fortitude (05-27-24)
Old 05-27-24, 10:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Yeah, I try to do things myself when I can and as long as I have proper instructions and the correct tools, I will tackle just about anything.
I have this small problem, I'm addicted to nice tools. Haha 🤔. 🤓

If I can do a simple job myself, new tools for me and totally justified.
Spoiler

The following 3 users liked this post by Margate330:
Chapp (06-03-24), HobieMarty (05-27-24), JMW (06-02-24)
Old 05-29-24, 08:44 AM
evident
Racer

Same here and thats why i can justify paying extra for OEM Parts if they are a reasonable price more expensive than their aftermarket counterparts and depending on what it is.
SJM (06-03-24)
Old 06-22-24, 06:35 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Update: So, I replaced the steering knuckle, complete with bearing and hub, and I also went ahead and replaced the ball joint as well, even though the old one didn't look bad. The noise remained the same!!! Ugh!!! I noticed that the caliper slide pins on the driver's side were stuck, and the brake rotor had a slight lip on the edge, so today I had both front rotors resurfaced, and I greased the slider pins with synthetic grease. I got everything put back together, and even rotated the tires, went for a drive and yep, again, the noise is still there. So, when removing the passenger side rotor, I noticed that the axle boot closest to the hub was completely torn all the way around and there was very little grease left inside. I am going to replace that axle in the next day or so. Could it be that the noise I am hearing is actually coming from that axle and the sound is someohow resonating to sound like it is on the driver's side? I am totally confused now!!! 😕

Quick Reply: Driver's Side CV Axle Replacement