RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cyl 3 misfire, CODES on Looking for

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-24, 06:23 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadtrd
On cyl 3 I found 1 struck valve thats open(exhaust). The pictures are after adding seafoam last time & hence lots of the carbon build has dislodged around in the piston /valves. So i have soaked cyl 3 with MMO till the plug thread, so it can essentially work on the open valve. Thinking of hand cranking about four times during this 48 hr wait. I know it may not help the situation if its a broken valve spring but if its not i hope it works. Any thoughts appreciate guys. Even if valve issue resolves by this method i am hoping to do 2 more soak treatment/ crankcase Oil flush.
If it's just debris your method should hopefully yield good results. If it is the valve your looking at removing and servicing the head
The following users liked this post:
offroadtrd (06-11-24)
Old 06-12-24, 11:15 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

On cyl 3 I found 1 struck valve thats open(exhaust).
Please keep us posted friend

Did the seafoam clean stuff up so you can see better?
I wish there was a work around hack to replace the valve without pulling the cylinder head.

Old 06-12-24, 11:56 AM
offroadtrd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Please keep us posted friend

Did the seafoam clean stuff up so you can see better?
I wish there was a work around hack to replace the valve without pulling the cylinder head.
Right its on hibernation with MMO & we will see. If it comes to the time to remove engine, i am thinking if its possible at all to 1st disconnect the exhaust manifold & try to access the exhaust valve & see if it moves....
Old 06-12-24, 12:45 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts

Glad to see you making progress OP, here is a thread about replacing valve springs (2GR-FE) while engine in car (if valve is not stuck or damaged, and valve guide is not damaged):
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...der-3.1761757/
offroadtrd (06-14-24)
Old 06-12-24, 06:52 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

starts around the 4 minute mark
Amazing product based on video.
Old 06-12-24, 08:15 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fortitude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmXyB38mRg

starts around the 4 minute mark
Amazing product based on video.
Good video thanks for posting. Car Wizard knows his stuff

Fingers crossed OP is lucky enough to have this resolve his issue
Old 06-12-24, 09:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, this is odd.

I'm posting on this thread about this engine with you all and on my TV last night >out of the clear blue< YouTube recommends me 2gr engine videos.

I'm feeling a little stalked by youtube right now. Lol

Anyway, I watched a video on a 2gr engine failure and the man warned NOT to let a machine shop resurface the heads on these motors. He said if the heads do need to be resurfaced, buy a good head and junk the old one. Reason why is supposedly shaving the head to clean it up just a tiny bit will throw phantom cam code errors that can never be resolved due to the precise distancing of everything. He said use nothing more than scotch Brite to clean the head and engine mating surfaces.

Wow, that's some tight precision on these engines.
Old 06-14-24, 07:02 PM
offroadtrd
Driver

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ok, this is odd.

I'm posting on this thread about this engine with you all and on my TV last night >out of the clear blue< YouTube recommends me 2gr engine videos.

I'm feeling a little stalked by youtube right now. Lol

Anyway, I watched a video on a 2gr engine failure and the man warned NOT to let a machine shop resurface the heads on these motors. He said if the heads do need to be resurfaced, buy a good head and junk the old one. Reason why is supposedly shaving the head to clean it up just a tiny bit will throw phantom cam code errors that can never be resolved due to the precise distancing of everything. He said use nothing more than scotch Brite to clean the head and engine mating surfaces.

Wow, that's some tight precision on these engines.
LOL Its all about your gadgets following your actions....
I blv you watched Carcarenut say that not to machine head due to timing errors would crop up...these 2gr engines are made with very fine tolerance i blv.
Old 06-14-24, 07:10 PM
offroadtrd
Driver

Here is a quick update...After almost 3 days of MMO soaking, i checked with boroscope only to find there was no liquid on top of that cyl 3. ?? I put back everything & started. It started and ran fine without any misfire...really stumped. I ran on idle for about 40 mins hoping it to clear the piston n cylinders. I turned it off & restarted the misfire came back on cyl 3. I am gonna open again tomorrow to see the valve on cyl 3 & also check for the compression, if there is an improvement i would be blessed. Over all the engine ran a bit smoother than before i would say.
Old 06-14-24, 08:37 PM
offroadtrd
Driver

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Glad to see you making progress OP, here is a thread about replacing valve springs (2GR-FE) while engine in car (if valve is not stuck or damaged, and valve guide is not damaged):
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...der-3.1761757/
Thank you so much for bringing this thread Mesquite, i think i can see the reason for the marks on my cyl 3 piston top being from the valve thats loose & dropping as per the thread...Makes a lot of sense.
"That means when timing is out of wreck, your valves will not kiss your pistons.
But when a spring breaks and the valve drops below its normal lowest position, your valve COULD STILL kiss the piston."
Old 06-15-24, 01:39 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

In the link above some posts get it wrong about the 2GR-FE, it is an interference engine. If you remove the timing chain, do not rotate the crank, a piston will hit a valve.
Old 06-21-24, 09:22 PM
offroadtrd
Driver

Arrow

Havent taken the engine out yet, here is a boroscope video that i made that shows the struck valve. Your thoughts appreciated. Sorry for the slow video at times as my daughter was turning the wrench & socket was coming off the crank pulley while i was capturing. At 4:11 you will see 1 valve is stationary, whereas at 3:00 you will see the other 2 valves function properly.

Last edited by offroadtrd; 06-21-24 at 09:28 PM. Reason: missed info
Margate330 (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 02:14 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Yah, that valve is stuck, likely bent, that engine is coming out. If valve guide is not cracked you can likely get away with just replacing the valve.

I bet the spring is broken, because when that happens, the little "hat" that sits on top of the valve stem and rocker arm falls off, so the valve will not extend as much as the others, which is what your (nice btw) video is showing.

Last edited by Mesquite77; 06-22-24 at 02:18 AM.
offroadtrd (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 10:25 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Havent taken the engine out yet, here is a boroscope video that i made that shows the struck valve. Your thoughts appreciated. Sorry for the slow video at times as my daughter was turning the wrench & socket was coming off the crank pulley while i was capturing. At 4:11 you will see 1 valve is stationary, whereas at 3:00 you will see the other 2 valves function properly.
https://youtu.be/PzH0XB3RRGs
How in the hell did you get these awesome shots?

I bought a boroscope from harbor freight to play around and have a look on my engine for carbon build up but I wasn't able to get these angles.

I returned it because it was basically useless.
At the time harbor freight did have a couple different boroscopes for sale so maybe I bought the junky one.
Old 06-22-24, 11:56 AM
offroadtrd
Driver

It was shot with this 4K boroscope from amazon suggested by Carecarenut guy in youtube..
Amazon Amazon
Here is another one that he suggested in another video...
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Cyl 3 misfire, CODES on Looking for