RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Car shimmy while braking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-24, 07:12 PM
Brucecav
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Car shimmy while braking.

I have a weird situation with my 2009 rx350. I have a car shake when i apply the brakes. Only when braking. I changed all 4 rotors and new pads all the way around about 4 months ago. It did not help. Despite new pads and rotors, its still shaking when braking especially at faster speeds above 45. I figured I may have gotten rotors that were manufactured wrong or the pads needed to set in. Well, it never got better so today I bought higher quality rotors for the front and much higher level brake pads. I Just put the brand new front rotors (slotted and holed) and the excellent pads on and STILL no different. When I use the emergency brake there is absolutely no shaking which makes me think its the front. I am so bummed I spent the money on the brand new rotors and pads ( 2 times now) and its clearly not any better. Any ideas of what is going on with shaking car when braking? Maybe the axle or the wheels? I would think it must be the braking system since it only happens when braking. HELP!! Please!
Old 06-21-24, 04:07 PM
MLKESQ
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the front sway bar end links and struts? It made a difference for me when I replaced them on my 04.
Old 06-22-24, 08:01 PM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucecav
I have a weird situation with my 2009 rx350. I have a car shake when i apply the brakes. Only when braking. I changed all 4 rotors and new pads all the way around about 4 months ago. It did not help. Despite new pads and rotors, its still shaking when braking especially at faster speeds above 45. I figured I may have gotten rotors that were manufactured wrong or the pads needed to set in. Well, it never got better so today I bought higher quality rotors for the front and much higher level brake pads. I Just put the brand new front rotors (slotted and holed) and the excellent pads on and STILL no different. When I use the emergency brake there is absolutely no shaking which makes me think its the front. I am so bummed I spent the money on the brand new rotors and pads ( 2 times now) and its clearly not any better. Any ideas of what is going on with shaking car when braking? Maybe the axle or the wheels? I would think it must be the braking system since it only happens when braking. HELP!! Please!
You are Right!, there is Something with the Front Brakes that is causing this Shake when you apply the brakes, even if the front suspension components are Worn/Loose, there should be No Shimmy or Shake when the brakes are Applied, Unless there is a problem with the Rotors/Pads/Calipers/Brake Lines/Master Cyl/Brake Fluid or Proportioning Valve!
Lots of Stuff to Check Out, by the way I'm a Certified Toyota/Lexus tech, Not that it matters!
Best of Luck!!

Last edited by cfh13427; 06-22-24 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-23-24, 02:51 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

The pads & rotors need to be bedded in, 6-7 50-10 mph & a few miles to cool the brakes & then repeat & let them cool off. What I found is that the oem brake size is under sized for a 4200lbs vehicle. One look at a gen2 pad #1005 to a gen3 #1325 pad & then look at the gen 2 caliper to a gen3 caliper, single piston caliper to the gen3 twin piston caliper. I bought this rx for my wife a few yrs ago & then in '20 sold my car & I started driving it. My brother & I thought this vehicle is pretty heavy for the brakes. The gen3 pads,rotors & a pr of reman calipers are a direct bolt & really do wonders. I made a thread titled "Cost effective bbk'' as I didn't want to pay for a $2400. Stoptech bbk for this vehicle at the time. After a few different pads & rotors, I ended up w/ Hawk Talon rotors & performance ceramic (yellow box) Hawk pads. Go to the local auto parts store for a pr of reman calipers & throw your oem calipers in the boxes for your core $ back. I added Goodridge SS brake hoses as well, flush out the old fluid w/ new dot 3 brake fluid. You can also upgrade the rear brakes as well, main thing for the rear is a bigger rotor. Another bbk is using a pr of GR Corolla calipers using the http://350phi.com caliper adapters & your choice of rotors GR Corolla or a pr of GS350F sport/ IS500 aftermarket rotors. If I was to do it now, I'd go for the GR upgrade. 356mm rotors & 4 piston calipers. http://Baerbrakes.com is what I used for decades on varies cars......
Old 07-05-24, 01:46 PM
carcheck
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the front lower control arm bushing look? Is it torn any?
How is the front tie rod?
How is the front tie rod boot condition? Do you see any leaks?

These can contribute to a back and forth shimmy bounce when you hit the brakes?
Old 07-06-24, 03:46 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucecav
Any ideas of what is going on with shaking car when braking? Maybe the axle or the wheels? I would think it must be the braking system since it only happens when braking. HELP!! Please!
From my experience with over 310,000 miles on our RX330, make sure to thoroughly wire brush/clean the hub.