RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Premium or Midgrade gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-24, 07:21 PM
Nabi
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Premium or Midgrade gas

Hello, I am a student and just bought a used 2007 RX350. This is my first car, so I would ask some digestion and information.

1- if I don't press the gas padel, the car doesn't move, just make a loud noise, but it was supposed to move since it is an auto gear. Is it a problem with transmission or engine? What kind of problem can it be? Can I just ignore it?

2- I didn't know that it takes only premium non lead gas, this car will make me broke, if I only give midgrade gas, will it make any kind of problem in the engine in future?

3- my steering is too hard, what can I do?
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (07-26-24)
Old 07-26-24, 08:53 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabi
Hello, I am a student and just bought a used 2007 RX350. This is my first car, so I would ask some digestion and information.

1- if I don't press the gas padel, the car doesn't move, just make a loud noise, but it was supposed to move since it is an auto gear. Is it a problem with transmission or engine?

2- I didn't know that it takes only premium non lead gas, this car will make me broke, if I only give midgrade gas, will it make any kind of problem in the engine in future?

We'll need FAR more information to give acccurate advice - mileage, car history, what has proceeded the issues, etc

#1 - Your car has an automatic transmission, with it in drive it should roll very slowly without pressing the gas pedal assuming you're not on a hill AND you've released the parking brake. IF you're pressing the gas pedal with the engine running and "in gear" but it is not moving forward very likely your transmission is in deep trouble, could be a broken axle. You need to provide MUCH more info to do any diagnosis
#2 - Read your owners manual, if your car did not come wiht one there are many resources on the interwebs to find the owners manual online. If purchasing premium gas is going to make you broke you are in WAY over your head already.
#3 - make it not so hard or get larger biceps. If you opt for the first suggestion it would require looking into the pwer steering fluid, power steering pump, steering rack, etc

It sounds like you may be VERY new to cars, if so you really should seek out a mentor, someone who knows cars to help you along. Also, go to a auto parts chain store like Autozone ask to borrow their code reader, it plugs in under your steering wheel on left side come back and post what codes come up. You need someone to look this car over not suggestions from this or any forum... it sounds like you did not get a PPI (PRE-purchase inspection), something EVERYONE who is not car saavy should always do, this will tell the prospective buyer the general conditon of the brakes, engine, electronics, suspension, fuel system, etc most decent independent garages will do this for a nominal fee ($100-300).

Last edited by Leeper; 07-26-24 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (07-26-24)
Old 07-26-24, 09:56 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

1- if I don't press the gas padel, the car doesn't move, just make a loud noise, but it was supposed to move since it is an auto gear. Is it a problem with transmission or engine? What kind of problem can it be? Can I just ignore it?

Welcome to Club Lexus and your first post!

As Leeper said, you need a mentor if you don't know much about cars.

If you would've posted before you bought the car we could help more but too late for that. Lol

Ok, the power steering issue...
The steering wheel should be easy to turn because our cars have power steering

You shouldn't have bought the car like this but you have it now. It could be anything from a bad power steering pump or etc.

It's hard to help diagnose sometimes because we count on the poster to provide accurate info so we can suggest a clear path forward.

But sometimes the poster cannot provide this info so we can't help, only guesses and shooting in the dark.
Old 07-27-24, 09:49 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

You don't state how many miles you drive per year as a student, but for some perspective, let's say you drive 11,926 miles per year with 5301 in the city and 6625 on the highway and you are getting 17 city/22 highway and use about 613 gallons per year.
-If mid-grade is $3.37, your annual fuel cost is around $2066 or $39.73 per week.
-If premium is $3.77, your annual fuel cost is around $2311 or $44.44 per week
Note: Even as fuel prices vary, the $.40 per gallon difference between mid-grade and premium generally stays the same.

In summary: At ~12,000 miles per year, there is a ~$5 difference between mid-grade and premium per week. Try to cut out one Starbucks a week and you can run premium.
Old 07-27-24, 09:23 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 434 Posts

Your first vehicle & your a student & need a cheap reliable vehicle, Why not a Toyota corolla?
Old 07-27-24, 11:38 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

Check power steering fluid level. I'm guessing that you have no or low fluid. That will cause a loud noise and hard steering.