RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 02:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by cyboriax
Does anyone know whether the RX300 had the same clunking issue? If not, why did they change to a transmission that clunked? I can't possibly imagine that the clunking noise was not brought up during R&D!
I don't think it is the transmission itself. To me, it sounds like some plastic shroud or something warping and returning back to normal under load. Kind of like when you press into a 2 liter platic bottle and that pop it makes when it returns to shape. Or, maybe its someting in the transmission mounts. Anyway, we really should flood Lexus with these minor problems and see if they will actually start working on a solution. Lexus never did get back to me about my rear hatch spoiler slightly scraping the body when it expands in the heat. They said they would look into it but I haven't hear anyrthing from them since May when I mentioned it.
Old 12-23-03, 08:45 AM
bobbyremax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post RX 330 Clunking Noise

We also have the clunking noise. Car is in now for 5000k service. Noise became annoying about 2000K. Dealer says they have no record of any problems, but the service rep is looking at it today. I gave her a copy of the reports on this site so they might research it a little more now. We have had it in four times to try and locate the problem. Will post what they say and hope we can fix this. We had a RX 300 before and put 40k on it with no problems. The noise is hard to locate, but does have a muffled clunk at acceleration and downshifting. It feels like a loose control arm, wheel, or u-joint. When you declelerate it feels like something bumps you in the rear. Our car is FWD.
Old 12-23-03, 10:33 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

bobbyremax, so what did your dealer say? I think my dealer is quite cluless on this matter.
Old 12-24-03, 01:47 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I did hear the "clunking" noise on my 330 the other day. I always have my music around vol. 30 so I haven't heard the noise earlier, I guess...
Old 12-24-03, 08:11 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a RX330 loaner car for a week. I heard the clunking noise during acceleration and decceleration. Further more, the transmission can't seem to make up its mind during shifting. There was also a rattling noise coming from under the driver seat. I thought the build quality of the RX330 was not as good as the RX300, IMHO. I hope Lexus will work out these bugs in the next year or two.. I will probably wait for the 2006 model after the mid-life facelift.
Old 12-24-03, 08:11 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

That's pretty much what I do in order to stop myself from hearing it. However, if you are really sensitive, you can "feel" the clunk from your feet from the small vibration of the clunk. :*( I guess the only way to make one ignorant of this is to dance! (^^);;
Old 12-25-03, 07:26 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice that no one has mentioned whether these problems are happening before or after getting the ECM update for the transmission.

Before I got the update, my 330 would make a loud noise and sometimes even jerk suddenly when downshifting around 25-30 mph. I felt like I was leaving part of the trans on the road! I often get caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the highway in the morning, and it drove me crazy. I agree with other comments that a $ 40K + car shouldn't do that.

I got the ECM applied about a month ago, and the trans behavior has improved considerably. No more jerking, and no more noises. It's also making better decisions about when to downshift when I stomp on the gas pedal. I didn't realize it before, but there was a distinct hesitation when I hit the gas hard at higher speeds (40+ mph). It's like the computer was waiting a split second to see if I was serious about hitting the gas.

Because it's one of those freebie warranty things, the Lexus dealer may not volunteer the solution right away unless you complain loudly or ask the right question. Based on comments folks have posted in other threads, it sounds like some dealers are also afraid of doing it, making comments like "we can't undo it if we do it, so be sure you want it." When I had it done, I explicitly said, "my transmission is shifting very abruptly between 20-30 mph, and I understand there's a technical service bulletin (TSB) about the transmission ECM that solves this problem." They didn't argue with me (although they did look it up on the computer), and they did it.

So, is anyone having these problems after getting the ECM updated?
Old 12-25-03, 08:02 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Yes. I had my ecm update done a long time ago. I think I was the one of the first ones - within 2 weeks after the TSB came out.
Old 12-25-03, 08:55 AM
eber330
Driver School Candidate

Angry Still hearing clunks even after ECM update

I had the ECM update done about 3 weeks ago and yes, I'm still hearing the "clunks" during the 30 to 20 mph decelaration, as well as when the transmission is in 4th or 5th and I slightly press and release the accelerator. I have contacted corporate Lexus a while ago and am still awaiting the customer rep to call me back.

Somehow, I don't think Lexus is taking this issue seriously and all of us owners experiencing this problem need to band together and call/write the corporate office and let them know of this problem. I think if we all demand our monies back if the problem is not resolved, that this will be an impeutus for them to have some engineers back in Japan start looking into the problem.

I thought I read somewhere that the RX330's built in Canada do not have this transmission clunk problem. Are there any owners of Canadian built RX330's who can confirm this?

Thanks!

PS. After the ECM update, the transmission does seem to shift more smoothly and quickly.
Old 12-28-03, 03:37 PM
johnac
Driver School Candidate

I also have the clunk. It started around 4200 miles. At my 5000 mile checkup, I complained about that as well as some other minor sifting problems and the dealer replaced the transmission. But I still have the clunk!
Old 01-02-04, 07:22 AM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

Just noticed the same noise from my 330. It is not there when the car was new three months ago. I have another kind of ticking noise cause by the fuel injection system. The dealer did a temporary fix directed by Lexus Canad but it does not fix the problem. With the two noises, driving the car become very annoying.
Old 01-02-04, 12:14 PM
cmstahl
Rookie

I've never had the clunking noise, but have had abrupt downshifting since I got the car (9.4k miles on it now). I have had the ECM update done, and in my case I didn't feel any improvement. I've had a difficult time trying to explain it to both the Lexus rep and Lexus Customer Service when I emailed them to inquire about the TSB, but the best way I can describe it is, when I'm going down a down-hill, and I tap the brakes to keep my speed between 35 and 40, rather than continuing to coast, I can feel the tranny upshift and the rpms jump up accordingly. Once this happens, I'm no longer coasting, as the jump in rpms causes the car to decelerate (even while still on the down-hill), and I have to get back on the gas to keep a constant speed.

I was really hoping the ECM update would, if not fix, at least improve this problem, but it hasn't, and it doesn't sound like Lexus has much more to offer in the way of fixes.
Old 01-02-04, 09:23 PM
EvenCylinder
Driver School Candidate

Default clunking?

Yes Lexus is awhere of this condition, and no they dont have a fix for it just yet, we have several complaints at the dealer i work for. We discuss these kind of issues every month in our satilite phone meatings with the western office FTS'. As far as the shifting concerns, think of it this way, After the ECU has been updated its like it goes into a building block mode where it is learning how the driver wants it to shift the transmission. It is very crittical that you drive it somewhat the same way for at least a month or two so the base line is built. If there are more than one driver per vehicle the prosses will take longer. Dont give up, We havent.
Old 01-02-04, 09:53 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: clunking?

Originally posted by EvenCylinder
Yes Lexus is awhere of this condition, and no they dont have a fix for it just yet, we have several complaints at the dealer i work for. We discuss these kind of issues every month in our satilite phone meatings with the western office FTS'. As far as the shifting concerns, think of it this way, After the ECU has been updated its like it goes into a building block mode where it is learning how the driver wants it to shift the transmission. It is very crittical that you drive it somewhat the same way for at least a month or two so the base line is built. If there are more than one driver per vehicle the prosses will take longer. Dont give up, We havent.
Does this happen to Japanese-source tranny, or just to those built in West Virginia?
Old 01-03-04, 06:34 PM
EvenCylinder
Driver School Candidate

Default clunk

the RX330 tansmissions are comming from Japan. We wont see any from this side of the sea until the Canada plant is up and running full force. However, I do believe some Toyota transmissions are being built here in the states. Lexus is looking at the suspension and front driveline angle for the clunking concern. We may have a tsib coming sometime in the spring.

Quick Reply: Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts