RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 11:24 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know for certain that there will be a TSB coming in the Spring, or is it an educated guess? If it's certain, where can I find information on this? I don't want to give up on Lexus' Quality just yet.... :*(
Old 01-04-04, 10:10 AM
EvenCylinder
Driver School Candidate

Default TSIB's

TSIB's dont always come in a timely fashion. We have discussed the issue several times and we are told that a TSIB is in the works. We "should" have one come mid spring. They FTD's are tring different things and then it has to be presented to the factory guy's then a "fix" will put into writting. Its somewhat of a long "red tape" process. I know as with the GX and LX booming noises the factory has yet put into place a lasting fix. So dont give up, we havent.
Old 01-04-04, 01:03 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to see how they address the issue. After this is done, the only thing I have to try to figure out is the dashboard squeeking over tiny bumps on the road! This just started... maybe it's 'cause of the cold Chicago weather?
Old 01-05-04, 06:45 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

EvenCylinder --

As far as the shifting concerns, think of it this way, After the ECU has been updated its like it goes into a building block mode where it is learning how the driver wants it to shift the transmission. It is very crittical that you drive it somewhat the same way for at least a month or two so the base line is built. If there are more than one driver per vehicle the prosses will take longer. Dont give up, We havent.
I had the ECU update done back in September sometime, and am still experiencing the abrupt downshifts. Opinions also seem mixed on this forum as to whether the update has helped. You mention Lexus is working on a possible TSB for the clunking noise. Do you know if Lexus is aware that the ECU update doesn't work for everyone experiencing abrupt shifting and might be working on a further attempt at a fix?
Old 01-05-04, 09:04 AM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

I just called my dealer about the clunking noise. They seem don't know anything about this. I also called the Customer Service at Lexus Canada and they don't know anything either (this is the second level CS which I was talking to about the fuel injection ticking noise).

Since EvenCylinder mentioned about monthly meeting. Is this US only or Canadian folks are part of it?

I will be seeing the dealer on Saturday to show them the clunking noise.

Is there any other Canadian owner have the same problem?
Old 01-05-04, 09:46 AM
lamk
Driver School Candidate

chanr
Where are you in Canada? I 'm from Oakville Ontario and bought my Rx330 from Mississauga. I have the Clunk, the ticking sound, the dash rattle, an engine ping and the Multipanel moonroof rattle! I am not concerned or annoyed by the ticking. You can hear the ticking when you open the hood on all the V6 toyota (Sienna. highlander etc.)but normally you don't hear it inside the cabin. For some reason the Rx330 is not able to isolate the ticking. The dash rattle and the Multipanel moonroof rattle apparently have known fix. The dealer also mention something about a coolant line problem that might account for the clunk. I'll get my dash rattle fix sometime in the near future but I will not let them take apart the moonroof to fix the rattle(which is not bodering me) given the experience with an engine noise problem I had. They were not able to fix the noise despite mucking around for two days and replacing a catalytic convertor. I don't want to be a guinea pig again unless I know the " fix" is a true fix and they will not do more harm. Same reason I will wait until there is a good fix for the Clunk before I'll have them apply it. NB All these problems are minor C/W the ones I got from my POS Mercedes ML 320. Otherwise the RX330 is great.
Old 01-06-04, 08:25 AM
chanr@home.net
Driver School Candidate

lamk

I am in Richmond Hill. Got my 330 from Richmond Hill Lexus. My ES300 was from Don Valley which their service dept was great. However, both dealerships are own by the same people. The service dept. from Richmond Hill is not as helpful as the other one.

So far I have the clunking noise and the ticking noise. I don't have the dashboard problem yet but I think it will come soon as the VIN number is within the range. I will keep my ear open on it. Unforturnately my wife drives the car most of the time. Combining with the clunking and ticking noise do drive me crazy already. I think it also has something to do with the brand and the price. I don't expect to have this kind of noise from a $55k lexus. If these happen to a Ford, I will not complain at all.
Old 01-09-04, 06:51 AM
lamk
Driver School Candidate

Default The clunk is fixed

Please see the following post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=106853
Old 01-09-04, 06:59 AM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Wooo! Thanks!! I can't wait! Should I wait for the TSB or simply show this to the Lexus Dealer? Also, so the dash-rattle is not fixed yet?

thank you so much!
Old 01-09-04, 07:15 AM
lamk
Driver School Candidate

Now that we know the clunk does not signify imminent death of the transmission, you can certianly wait for theTSB but if you want to get it done right away you might need to ask your dealer to contact Lexus Canada, if your dealer or Lexus USA do not know about the fix. And yes my dash rattle wasn't fix but it is also -20 degree celcius here in Ontario, Canada.
Old 01-10-04, 01:50 AM
tinkrbelxo
Driver School Candidate

I got my RX this past Christmas. When I was stopped on top of a hill and proceeded to go down, I also heard a slight "clunk." I thought "oh crap! something's already wrong with my brand new car?!" But it seems like everyone is having this problem. =/
Old 01-24-04, 05:53 AM
johnac
Driver School Candidate

Just got my RX330 back from service after complaining about the transmission clunk. When returning the car to me the service advisor said they "insulated something" to muffle the noise. The noise is significantly reduced, but the feeling of the clunk is occasionally still there and annoying. You can't hear the noise with the radio on, but this is only masking a problem. I'm not satisfied and will return to the dealer soon.
Old 03-01-04, 10:31 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

Johnac,

So did your fix work? What happened??? :-)

Thanks,
Cyboriax
Old 03-02-04, 04:02 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is happening on awd or 2wd vehicles? Yall should do a poll. I have a 2001 awd with 103k miles on it. Very smooth drivetrain. I will tell you, I had a 99 RX that was crap compared to my 01. They do work out the bugs. I can assure you that if theere is a problem, Lexus will fix it. It just takes time.
Old 03-02-04, 08:04 PM
cyboriax
Driver School Candidate

So should I wait until an official TSB comes out or should I proceed with the suggestions that have been posted? Can I simply tell my Lexus, Lexus of Pikesville, to call Lexus of Rockville, and see what they can do?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Faint "Clunking" noise when car downshifts