RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

MDX'04 vs RX330

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 11:34 AM
tvkw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bdar,

Yeah....it is hard to tell I guess, it depends on how you measure the volume. If the 1st row seat is fully moved to the front or to the back, it will make a different in the measurment. Have you decided which car to purchase?
Old 12-23-03, 04:03 PM
bdar
Driver

Hi tvkw,

From what I read in the article, it said the front seats were moved all the way to the front. Nope, I haven't decided which car to buy. It's really a tough decision.
Old 12-23-03, 10:09 PM
tvkw
Driver School Candidate

bdar,
Does it say how they measure the MDX cargo space? Were the front seats moved all the way to the back? If that is the case than the difference is significant, I think.
Old 12-24-03, 10:02 AM
bdar
Driver

Hi tvkw,

I think it did say they measure MDX w/o moving the front seat. But again, I don't quite remember where did I see it, may be in MDX forum. If this is the case, then it may be bias. But, is 2-3 cu-ft different a lot to you?
Old 12-24-03, 08:41 PM
tvkw
Driver School Candidate

bdar,
Well, if it's only 2-3 cu-ft diff. is not a big deal. I just feel somewhat a lot roomier behind the 2nd row seats for MDX compare to RX. Though RX is much nicer.
Old 12-25-03, 12:08 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by o8yb
[B]I did intense research before we bought RX330. I like the space and 3rd seat of MDX but we decided to go for RX due to the followings:

4. RX is More luxery and comfortable.

9. RX330 has Performance package with air suspension

11. Our RX is made in Japan and all MDX is made in US. Sorry we just don't have faith on US made cars (at least for now). If our RX is made in Canada (like some new RXs), then it will be a different story and we may want to wait till the new MDX.

While I agree with most of your point of view, there are a few that I beg to differ:

#4 - Actually I personally find the MDX more comfortable. Its seats have better thigh support. Most Toyota vehicles have short and low seat cushions. Wish they would put in different seats for the U.S. market.

#9 - The performance package (18") does not really improve the handling, yet it messes up the creamy ride in my test drive opinion.

#11 - The MDX is made in Canada. Starting in Sept., all U.S.-bound RX330s are also made in Canada. Not all US-made cars are bad. US-made Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are outstanding. As long as it's not assembled by UAW, you can rest assure of its quality. Have faith in your fellow Americans.

Overall I favor the RX over the MDX, at least until I have 4 kids and need the 3rd row seats.

Cheers,
Old 12-26-03, 12:00 AM
JRB
Pole Position

#9 - The performance package (18") does not really improve the handling, yet it messes up the creamy ride in my test drive opinion.

#11 - The MDX is made in Canada. Starting in Sept., all U.S.-bound RX330s are also made in Canada. Not all US-made cars are bad. US-made Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are outstanding. As long as it's not assembled by UAW, you can rest assure of its quality. Have faith in your fellow Americans.
I thought that the performance pkg did improve the handling quite a bit - took the same roads (curves and cloverleafs) and found that it leaned less in turns. The ride is not quite as soft, but it's still softer than most competing models, IMO.

Regarding build location, I thought that a certain percentage of RX330's delivered to the U.S. will still be made in Japan, especially those going to the West Coast (?). At least that was the plan originally.
Old 12-27-03, 07:25 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Our RX, built in 11/04, came from Japan. It has the NAV/MLS and I'm in the mid-west. Two rumors I have read online are that (1) only base models are built in Canada, and (2) only models with the multi-panel sunroof are made in Japan. I doubt the truth of both these rumors.

Either way, it IS possible to get a Japanese-made RX.
Old 01-14-04, 07:22 PM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by bdar
Hi tvkw,

I think it did say they measure MDX w/o moving the front seat. But again, I don't quite remember where did I see it, may be in MDX forum. If this is the case, then it may be bias. But, is 2-3 cu-ft different a lot to you?
I own both an MDX and the RX 330 & I don't know how they measured the cubic ft - but the MDX has WAY more storage room than the RX.

Regarding all the other differences - all have been posted here so you'll just have to decide what suits you best. If you need 3 rows - get the MDX, but if luxury is more important get the RX. The RX is also much quieter than the MDX. I suggest you go over to acuramdx.org & read what they say - there is a similiar thread there - just do a search.
Old 01-15-04, 08:09 AM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

Be sure to drive the two vehicles. The MDX feels more like a truck, but has a firm, planted feel to it. The 330 is more like a car, with a floaty feel. I think the MDX gives you better feedback.
Old 01-26-04, 05:25 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

check with vicpai... i think thats him

he was really into either the mdx or the rx. I'm sure he has very good opinions. i think he ended up gettnig the mdx, cuz i havn't been on this forum for a while, i see one of his post where it shows his mdx hehe
Old 02-10-04, 07:19 PM
Peer
Driver School Candidate

recently went through same decision process
went with the 330 as it is simple a more solid and unique vehicle. We already have an Odyssey and that takes care of the hauling issue.
Have had my neptune blue mica 330 for two weeks now (made in Canada) and love it. Test drove an MDX and it came across as a dressed up odyssey which it essentially is.
Decision was also influenced by the fact that the 330 is a true AWD whereas the MDX is front wheel with on demand transfer of power to rear wheels.
P.S. purchased OEM chrome rims (just released to dealers3 wks ago) which are 18" as winter rim with blizzaks all around, picked up the RX with the "summer" wheels and 18's in the back. So far it has been unstoppable in our severe upstate NY winter.