RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

MDX'04 vs RX330

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 06:07 PM
bdar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MDX'04 vs RX330

I can't really decide between MDX'04 vs RX330. Anyone out there who either own or has test driven these two vehicle? I have two toddler, some people recommend me to go for MDX. But, I am thinking of exploring this new RX330, especially with NAV + Mark Levinson. Here are some questions I have in mind:
1) For those of you who own Lexus, how reliable is the car, especially the engine.
2) Considering RX330 will be built in Canada after Sept 2003, will it be any downgrade in terms of car's quality?
3) How big is your RX330 cargo space. Is it comparable to MDX's when the 3rd sit fold down?
4) If you were me, are you going to go for RX330 or MDX'04?
Thanks for the answer in advance
Old 12-05-03, 10:37 PM
JRB
Pole Position

In my opinion the only real advantage the MDX has over the RX is in cargo room. If you need a small 3rd row seat for little kids, that would also be a reason to buy it over the RX. Otherwise, I think the RX is the better choice. When you go for your test drives, be sure to look very carefully at the quality of the interior materials. I personally didn't care for the MDX's fake wood and thought the leather on the seats was very thin and would wear out prematurely. I also thought that some of the plastic pieces were not luxury quality.

Styling is subjective but the MDX's body style is rather plain and is beginning to show its age, IMO. It definitely will be replaced well before the RX, which is less than a year old. So far MDX's are holding their value pretty well, but this could change when their replacement model is introduced.

In terms of reliability both models are way above average but I think you have to give the nod to Lexus here also. Also consider the quality and reputation of your local dealers - Lexus does have a way better dealer network overall.

Lastly, the MDX is a very wide vehicle, so consider how much room you have in your garage.
Old 12-06-03, 02:21 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default MDX'04 vs RX330

The MDX is so bland in styling. The RX definately is the clearer choice in these two.

I agree with JRB completely!

............bdar, I read your post then started replying, then read JRB's only to realise his opinion is just as mine!
Old 12-06-03, 06:41 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup, just bought a RX330, after seriously considering the Acura. Here's what led us away from the MDX and to the RX:

1. Our nearest Acura dealer is 2.5 hours away, and they told us our Honda dealer couldn't do any warranty work.

2. Interior of the MDX was a huge disappointment. Switchgear looked cheap even for a Honda, much less an Acura. Perforated leather didn't suit our tastes. Plasticky wood (or is that woody plastic) of the MDX is an insult after seeing the birdseye maple of the Lexus.

3. The cargo room of the MDX is much nicer, but for whatever reason I sure felt like I was driving a minivan when I was behind the wheel of the MDX. Maybe it's the size, the blah styling, the funky dashboard, or a combination of all these. Maybe it's because the MDX is based on the Honda Odyssey. The MDX just seemed very utilitarian compared the RX.

4. I got to searching the forums for both the Lexus and the MDX. Turns out that neither is perfect. The Lexus has a dubious transmission, but that's about it. The MDX seemed to have more problems, based on what I was seeing on the net. Not a very scientific method, but it was enough to convince me.

5. The Lexus has a lot of "Gee Whiz" gizmos that the Acura doesn't. My wife was wowed with the Lexus. We'll see how wowed she is in a few years when all those little electric motors start to give out...

In reality, our second choice was the Audi A6 wagon, which we liked even better than the RX. However, the reliability of Audis (or lack thereof) was enough to make up our minds to get the RX.
Old 12-07-03, 11:47 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have a MDX, and I don't have a RX330...

But just a Lexus and Acura comparison, I must say go with the RX330. I got the RX before I got the Acura TL, and about 2 years or so, the Acura started having rattles, the RX is still rock solid even now. The material they used inside the car is also very different. The leather in the RX is softer than the Acura, and it doesn't get worn out as easily. The wood? It's real for Lexus and fake for the Acura... And I do agree that the styling of the MDX will be outdated soon enough... Last but not least, if I were you? definitely RX330...
Old 12-07-03, 04:27 PM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

In addition to the size, the NAV system is better on the ACURA. I have both a 2001 MDX and an RX330. Both are great. Lexus--more luxurious. MDX-more practical. You cannot really lose.

Last edited by lawprofs; 12-07-03 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 08:53 AM
twa2k
Driver School Candidate

I have owned a MDX and was very dissatisfied with the quality of both the vehicle and Acura service.

After trading the MDX for the RX, I find that I hardly miss the 3rd row of seats. What I do not miss is all the clunks, rattles, clanks, and wind noise the MDX had. Also, after 20K, the MDX's transmission had to be completely replaced.
Old 12-08-03, 09:17 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We've had no real problems with the MDX. We use the 3rd row seat often enough to find it useful. Love the Nav although we have not used the RX330's to compare it to. One of the drawbacks (before, not sure if it is still there) with the Lex Nav is that you had to pre-plan your trip and enter it. The MDX Nav can be programmed on the fly while driving (by the passenger, of course ).

I recently looked at the 2004 MDX (we have an 02) and I like some of the "tweaks" they have made to the car. I agree with the luxurious feel (or lack thereof) in the MDX vs. the RX but you should weigh what your needs are. Would I trade the MDX for the RX? With our needs, I would say no. We bought it to be the family/utility car. Although we are careful, we go everywhere in it, we haul things in it, we like the 3rd row seat, we like the cargo space, ... We are not going to trash it but we are also not hesitant to use it in a utility way. The RX may feel to nice to do some of the things we do with it.

As for styling, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think the MDX is dated at all and I like the 04 changes. I like its looks. I also love the RX330 (not really the RX300) but only in some colors. I think it looks grotesque in white, for example. Hey, that's just my opinion.

I also believe there is a 300 HP version of the MDX coming out next year so that will be nice.

Don't get me wrong. I much prefer driving my GS but the MDX serves its purposes well. I would trade my 02 for the 04 (or the 05) in a heartbeat I did not care about depreciation.

Again, I think you should assess your needs and buy accordingly. I don't think you can go wrong with either if you go with what your priorities.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-03, 12:50 PM
o8yb
Rookie

I did intense research before we bought RX330. I like the space and 3rd seat of MDX but we decided to go for RX due to the followings:

1. MDX is just a better Pilot and not worth the money. Many upgrade for MDX is not really worth it. If we really want MDX (which we don't) we rather save the money and go for Pilot. RX is a lot better than Highlander, and upgrade from Highlander to RX worth it.

2. RX330 is safer (it has curtain air bag for front and rear passengers and it has knee airbag) MDX only have front side airbag ( no head protection). We hope we never need to use the airbags, but if we do, the car better have the best airbag available for all passengers (not just front).

3. RX handle better and turns better.

4. RX is More luxery and comfortable.

5. Lexus' service is better than Acura

6. RX has better resell value

7. Power rear door option. Unless you are really tall and strong, no that many people can close the rear door with one hand. Its really helpful in the skiing trip where you have to hold something with one hand and close the rear door with the other.

8. MDX is due for a re-design in a year or so. I don't want to buy a car and find out the next MDX is much better. I know RX will stay the almost same for the next four years.

9. RX330 has Performance package with air suspension

10. RX looks unique. MDX is just a better looking SUV.

11. Our RX is made in Japan and all MDX is made in US. Sorry we just don't have faith on US made cars (at least for now). If our RX is made in Canada (like some new RXs), then it will be a different story and we may want to wait till the new MDX.

My wife and I are big Honda fans and we have many Honda and no Toyota in our life. We still selected RX instead of MDX. That tells you how much we like the RX330 and we have to buy a Toyota (or Lexus for the folks think Lexus make cars )

Hope that help

Sam
04 RX330 performance package with a long scratch on the passenger side (keyed by someone )

Last edited by o8yb; 12-08-03 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 11:38 AM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

i actually think the MDX's rear looks nicer than the RX, but other than that i would pay the few thousand more and get the Lexus. overall, the lexus looks a little more updated to me than the acura.
Old 12-09-03, 12:44 PM
bdar
Driver

o8yb wrote:
6. RX has better resell value
How come when I check carpoint website for the trade-in value for 2001 MDX vs RX300, I found Acura has more value?

I agree with all the comment saying Lexus is more free to rattle here and there not to mention it's luxury over MDX, that's the reason why I put RX330 into my consideration besides MDX. But again, now the dilemma is starting Nov 2003, RX330 is built in Canada. Will Lexus maintain it's quality? I just start to panic when Japanese car is started to be made outside Japan, i.e: Acura's quality used to be much better than now (for those models that are built outside Japan).

VEGASRX330 : I saw your signature and find you own RX330 '04 with Nav. My question is: Is the NAV package always come with Mark Levinson audio system? If yes, do you really notice the difference between standard audio system vs your Mark Levinson?

Last edited by bdar; 12-09-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 02:24 PM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

hey bdar

no, i dont have the mark levinson stereo system. im sure its nice, though i have read some posts where they didnt hear much of a difference. i think the difference is a little more power plus 11 speakers, whereas i only have 8 speakers. my stock system seems alright, although i would take the mark levinson in a heartbeat (if it was a free upgrade that is)..big "if" though, since its not. i definitely recommend getting the nav though. if u dont get it, you wont get the big LCD screen in the dash and also think of the $$$ you save on miles and gas, since you know exactly where you are and wont be getting lost.
Old 12-09-03, 03:06 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MDX is also built in Canada (not US)

The Acura MDX is also built in Canada, at a plant in Alliston, Ontario.
Old 12-23-03, 09:41 AM
tvkw
Driver School Candidate

I my self am considering between the two vehicles. I agree that RX330 is way more luxurious compare to MDX. I know/feel that MDX has a bigger cargo room. Here are my questions: why is that on the paper, the RX330 (2nd row seats folded down) has a bigger cargo capacity compare to the MDX (both the 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down), 85 cu-ft vs. 82 cu-ft, respectively. For those of you who have had the two vehicles, can you tell me how do you feel about these two vehicles in term of the performance and handling, which one do you feel better. I test drove both of them, but it is few weeks a part, so it is hard to really compare the performances, kind of forget what I felt on the first test-drive. Any other inputs are much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-23-03, 10:39 AM
bdar
Driver

Smile

Hi tvkw,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read it somewhere said RX330 get 85 cu-ft by moving the 1st row seat a bit to the front (in other words, that's the max cargo space RX330 can get). May be the article I read was bias toward MDX. Don't know the truth for sure.

Quick Reply: MDX'04 vs RX330