RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX330 vs (03+)Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 01:39 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Lexus RX330 vs (03+)Toyota 4Runner

If you are talking the 'base model' RX 330 versus the loaded to the hilt new style Toyota 4Runner, they are both in about the same price range.

So which one would you rather have?

Here's what I see so far in terms of advantages:

The 4Runner:

is made in Japan (seems the RX330 isn't or at least won't be very soon)

shares almost all of its underpinnings with the RX330's big brother, the GX470

has an available iForce V8 that I've heard great things about, plus can anyone say 'factory TRD supercharger without voiding the warranty'?

's transmission feels better IMO... feels like it's actually shifting. The RX330 feels like it's wallowing around in mayonaise or something. I realize this is a 'soft' shift, but it reminds me of a slipping transmission on an old car.

can tow quite a bit and can also offroad

has x-reas and air shocks for good load balancing and controlled handling

more interior room and more room for hauling stuff around

The RX330:

The interior is definitely nicer... the leather, dash materials, etc... very thoughtful touches throughout the cabin for comfort, quality, and convenience.

The Levinson stereo is great, but in getting the base model that's not an option for me so forget that point

It's definitely quieter inside

It handles much more nimbly

better gas milage

So honestly... I know this is an RX3 forum... but clear your mind of all bias and tell me the ups and downs in your mind between the two vehicles, and why you chose RX3 and if you'd chose it again.

Last edited by Threxx; 12-16-03 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 02:07 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it all depends on what you really need. Do you need the utility or a comfortable ride around town?
Old 12-16-03, 05:26 PM
MovieTime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are comparing the base model (rx330) with the limited edition 4runner, then of course i would get the 4 runner. i think you need to set a budget then see what each suv has to offer. if you want to have the trd supercharger, maybe you should look at other makes and models as well....
Old 12-17-03, 03:19 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

We were looking at LX and GX as well as the 330 to replace the 300 and kept one of each for a weekend. So, altho I haven't driven the 4Runner, I can comment on the GX. So some comparison can be made.

Of course, since it's the Lexus version, the interior is certainly on par with the RX. However, it's not really significantly larger inside. There is a tad more shoulder and hip room. Leg room about the same. The available (and GXs with them are pretty much all that IS available at the dealer) third row seat is useless for all but very small children and, unless removed entirely, just about zeros out the rear storage.

Ride and handling are much more trucklike, regardless of suspension setting, compared to the RX. I can't imagine the 4Runner feels less so. The V8 is nice but doesn't really have enough power given the vehicle weight. Adding a supercharger from TRD can be done to remedy that deficit, but is a little pricey. Torquey enough for urban settings, though. Regardless, the RX can run off and hide given it's much better power to weight ratio. The 4wd is obviously very capable but went untested in our weekend. Not an issue since offroading isn't what SHE's about.

It all comes down to what one needs. We don't tow anything (though I did get the towing package on the RX for the heavy duty radiator and transmission cooler), need storage room more than a compromise third row seat, and SHE prefers the carlike ride/handling dynamics of the RX. It is true that the 4wd in the GX/4Runner is much more capable than that of the RX but is a moot point for our needs and climate (wet weather handling/stability with occasional snow). Although the RX will be mfgrd in Canada, the current models are still sourced in Japan.

Advantage (in our house): RX330.