RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-04, 08:46 AM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Satellite Radio

Has anyone had the Satellite Radio installed on a 330. If so I would like some details on the install such as, cost, where was it installed, how does it looks, were you satified with the process ect. Thank you and......Best Regards........Bob

Last edited by rkytop_bob; 01-04-04 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 11:09 PM
evictor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default satellite radio

I installed an Alpine XM radio system. This consisted of the following: (1) The tuner which costs about $250; (2) the FM modulator/controller which costs about $80; and (3) an antenna which costs about $50. These costs do not include the cost of installation (labor charges). I had the system installed in Los Angeles.

The only visable item in the car is the FM controller which is small and fits on the space on the bottom of the gear shift box. It does not interfere with movement of the console or the opening of the cup holder. The antenna (which is flat and unobtrusive) can be placed either on the roof or inside the rear window.

The system works great with the Levinson radio. XM offers a broad array of channels, and I highly recommend the service.
Old 01-08-04, 06:13 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

I have researched this in Fla. and installed the whole setup is around $300 including labor for a Sirius or Alpine system. They are available at the likes of Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

The thing I have been nervous about is that I have the Levinson System in my GS 430 and they talk about installing an external antenna and I want to ensure to that setup looks nice and goes with the rest of the interior and exterior in a classy manner.

Has anyone had this installed on a GS430 and what were some of the particulars about how you had the install performed?

(Sorry don't mean to jump in on your thread rkytop_bob, but I have related questions and hoped you wouldn't mind).
Old 01-13-04, 04:46 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default Satellite Radio - How about Roady?

I took the easy route and "installed" a Delphi Roady in my RX for $120. I placed the antenna on the dash near the window (inside), and hid the wire along the top of the dash and under the steering wheel. I placed the Roady inside my cupholder, which can be closed when I leave the vehicle. The only wire really visible is the one leading from the cassette player to the Roady device -- about five inches. Not bad for a decent and completely portable installation. I love XM!
Old 01-13-04, 05:28 PM
Fikse
Rookie

anyone integrate the XM systems using the inputs in the back on the RX330 with the RSES?
Old 02-08-04, 12:31 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Default Re: Satellite Radio - How about Roady?

Originally posted by amontgom
I took the easy route and "installed" a Delphi Roady in my RX for $120. I placed the antenna on the dash near the window (inside), and hid the wire along the top of the dash and under the steering wheel. I placed the Roady inside my cupholder, which can be closed when I leave the vehicle. The only wire really visible is the one leading from the cassette player to the Roady device -- about five inches. Not bad for a decent and completely portable installation. I love XM!
I got my RX 330 yesterday, and put a Roady in it first thing. I was surprised at how well the wireless FM transmitter worked. The sound quality is pretty good, and it makes for a clean looking install. A couple of rubber bumpers on the back of the Roady, and some velcro tape along the bottom, and I was set.
Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio-lexroady1.jpg  

Last edited by jayskinner; 03-09-04 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 09:41 PM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

jayskinner,

Where are the wires for power & antenna? Can youstill slide the center console or does it need to remain in that position to support the XM radio?
Old 03-08-04, 06:45 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally posted by TexRB
jayskinner,

Where are the wires for power & antenna? Can youstill slide the center console or does it need to remain in that position to support the XM radio?
The antenna is on the dash by the A-pillar, and the wire is run under the dash and over to the console. It's taped in place under the dash, so for the most part you don't see it. The wireless FM transmitter is plugged into the outlet in the floor, and right now the wires, while neatly bundled, are just laying in that tray in the floor. With the Roady there, I don't move the center console, but leave it in that position all the time.

Last edited by jayskinner; 03-08-04 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 07:06 AM
jayskinner
Driver

jayskinner,

Here's a picture of the wireless transmitter/power plug.
Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio-wires1.jpg  

Last edited by jayskinner; 03-09-04 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 07:06 AM
jayskinner
Driver

jayskinner,

Here's the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Satellite Radio-rxantenna.jpg  
Old 03-08-04, 06:37 PM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

jayskinner,

Thanks for posting the extra pics
Old 03-09-04, 02:40 PM
jayskinner
Driver

jayskinner,

Thanks for posting the extra pics
You're most welcome. As you can tell from my signature and my license plates, I like my XM.
Old 05-30-04, 08:19 AM
johnnym
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jayskinner
You're most welcome. As you can tell from my signature and my license plates, I like my XM.
With the FM modulator, are you getting true digital input to the pre-amp/amp...or is this a non-issue? I have the ML and am dying to add XM...sweet...but am wondering if there is a discernable diff between the FM and the direct digital input.

johnnyM
Old 05-30-04, 05:32 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally posted by johnnym
With the FM modulator, are you getting true digital input to the pre-amp/amp...or is this a non-issue? I have the ML and am dying to add XM...sweet...but am wondering if there is a discernable diff between the FM and the direct digital input.

johnnyM
It's not even an FM modulator, it's an FM transmitter built into the power plug, and set to an unused FM channel, in this case 107.1 The only way you're going to get "digital input" is to direct wire a unit like the XM Commander to the head unit through a Blitzsafe adapter, or a similar setup. From what I can tell, that's not an option on the RX. But hey, I had a direct connect Commander in a Honda Pilot, and in comparison, the sound quality of my Roady with the FM transmitter is reasonably good. Of course, the audio system and the rest of the interior are a great improvement over the Pilot.
Old 05-31-04, 08:20 AM
RXKen
Driver

Any news on an INTEGRATED Sat Radio system in the 330 or 400h? The FM ones pale by comparison to the direct wired systems in the same car. Does having the Levinson system get you any additional inputs on the back of the head unit?

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio