RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

navigation traffic module

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 02:40 AM
fremeijer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post navigation traffic module

Just had my first Lexus RX300 , model 2004 (is called rx300 in europe and rx330 inUS)
In my other cars i had navigation systems with a traffic module , which warns you for traffic jams and helps you getting around it. More or less a standard feature in all european navigation systems.
NOT at Lexus ! My dealer claims that this feature is NOT available at Lexus RX300 (the new 430 does have it) and that nobody can build it in separately.
Does anybody know a way to install this so important feature (especially in a country like the netherlands where there are constantly traffic jams)
Old 01-17-04, 06:51 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Agreed, the traffic module as installed in most European vehicles (in Europe) is a vital part of the navigation system. An awareness of traffic conditions would seem to be part of the nav design criteria to route you around traffic jams. Unfortunately, in the US the FCC has not fully approved the required digital transmission system required by this feature. The infighting between manufacturers, who all have their own agendas, and broadcasters, who are reluctant to give up bandwidth to a non-revenue-producing service - not to mention bueraucratic inaction - has resulted in our getting about half the value of the nav capability.

I'm not aware of an "add-on" package for the Denso nav system, since on this side of the pond our government can't even reach agreement on how to license transmissions. Until the FCC develops some cojones and issues strict specifications and sets deadlines, we are unlikely to see this feature in a Lexus or any other vehicle. I understand Canada is considerably more enlightened on this topic. Any news from the great frozen north?

Note to above mentioned government entity: It can be done - it is already being done in the aviation industry, where moving maps can be overlaid with traffic, weather radar, and a wealth of terrain information - using a datalink.

See: http://www.avidyne.com/ex500/

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-17-04 at 09:21 PM.