RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

330 Power Rear Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 06:26 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 330 Power Rear Door Problem

I could've sworn I posted this about 3 days ago, but can't seem to find the thread!?!

Anyway, once in a while my power rear door acts up. It's always like this: Coming back to the 330 from shopping/what not, unlocking the doors twice, then trying to open the rear door w/ the remote, doesn't work... tried w/ the interior button, still doesn't work. It does work manually going up & down, it even has the power assist to close. If I start the car then turn it off and try, then the power rear door works.

Anyone have a similar situation?

Sorry if this thread is a dup, but I can't find the original.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-04, 06:29 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

I have had this problem also. I also recall a thread about this same issue several months ago. You might want to do a search on this thread for "power door" or "power hatch" to see if you can dig it up. I don't remember exactly, but there might have been something in that thread about trying to reset the power door by toggling a switch located in the glove box as a possible fix.
Old 03-08-04, 08:36 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

We've had the same problem approx 3x since the car was new back in November; can't duplicate and haven't found anything that seems to be "the fix". Haven't had it in for service on this issue, yet, so no dealer input but will post after 5k service.
Old 03-08-04, 11:41 AM
peaceful97
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I have the same problem with the power hatch back ever since I bought the car in May 2003. Every time I bring my car to the dealer for service I complain about this problem and they can't fix it and they keep writing down the procedure of how to use it like unlock all the doors first then press and hold the pwr bottom stuff. Those technicians think that I don't know how to use it. All I'm trying to say is that I'd like to fix the problem too, but can't fix it, so you are not alone. I also try the switch in the glove box. It doesn't work for me.... .Other then that the car is excellent and every thing else works great. I love my RX330 so much!
Old 03-08-04, 02:50 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the context of someone else's comment about one-touch operation of the moonroof not working, I dug up a TSIB (PG002-03) that details everything the dealer is supposed to do before delivering the car. The root cause of the moonroof problem is a failure to initialize it properly, so maybe the power back door has the same strange behavior.

According to the TSIB, this is how you initialize the back door:

1. Unlock the back door, with either the lock button or the key remote control.
2. Make sure that the car is off - ignition in the "off" position.
3. Make sure the power door enable switch (inside the frame of the glovebox) is on.
4. Manually open the door fully, and then close it fully.
5. Open the back door with the key remote or with the "power door" button on the dash.
6. Close the back door with the key remote or with the button on the door itself.
7. The door should now be initialized, and the jam protection feature should be enabled.

This would have to be done whenever the computer loses power, either in transport from the factory or when the battery is disconnected.

Personally, I haven't had either the moonroof control problem or this back door problem. The only time the back door doesn't work for me is when I don't unlock it!

I'd be curious to know if this solves your problem...
Old 03-08-04, 10:37 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all your replies! The last time the door didn't want to open, took it immediately to the dealer, and of course it worked there. I'm thinking it's some sort of electrical problem but the dealer had no answer for me either, other than the "unlocking twice" on the remote .
Old 03-09-04, 05:45 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

rxdriver --

Although the procedure you describe is useful, it doesn't seem to me based on my own experiences, and the comments from others I've read on this forum that the problem occurs after a loss of power to the computer. Unless by coincidence, and I'm simply not making a connection between the two, it happens the first time I try to use the hatch after I've had the car in for service. Even so, I can't imagine the service dept. requiring disconnecting power each time the car is brought in for service (say for a regular 10K service).
Old 03-09-04, 06:49 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me clarify...
I didn't mean to imply that the computer keeps losing power on a regular basis. My thought process was that if the moonroof operates sub-optimally until it's initialized, then the power door might have the same problem. I'm thinking the dealer might never have initialized the door in the first place, so walking through that sequence of steps might clear up the erratic behavior.
Old 03-09-04, 08:10 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to let you know that I have had the same issue ever since I got the RX330 in October. So far the dealer has not had a fix for the intermittent problem. Going through the reset steps listed by rxdriver - only fixes problem for a short while.
Old 03-09-04, 11:36 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

I think it only opens when all dors are unlocked, this is how ours works.
Old 03-10-04, 03:29 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

Yes- it will only open when all doors are unlocked - which is the way it is designed to work. The problem is - it only works about 75 % of the time when all the doors are unlocked.
Old 03-10-04, 04:17 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

Attention RX 330 owners - I was told that Lexus has a fix to address the Rear Power Hatch Inop Blues.

Theres a new part that will take care of this. Its called the Power Rear Door ECU P/N 89222-0E011 (Previous part was 89222-0E010).

Call before you take your vehicle in and tell the service writer to order you the ECU.

If they dont know what you are talking about, have the technician contact the LEXUS TAS Hotline.
Old 03-12-04, 09:21 AM
peaceful97
Driver School Candidate

vigad,
I called Lexus of Westminster, CA to ask a service writer to order the part for the Power Rear Door ECU P/N 89222-0E011 like you suggest! But he refused to do so until his technician can duplicate the problem. But the thing is, their technicians couldn’t duplicate the problem with my power Read Door at the last three services. Do you know any Lexus dealers in Southern California that know this problem and willing to order the part before I take my car to them?

Thanks,
P.
Old 03-12-04, 11:29 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Default No Fix for you!

peaceful97 - I'm also getting push-back from my service advisor on this. The problem is random, and I can't duplicate it on demand.

But the advisor says that he cannot get authorization to order the patch unless he can see a particular diagnostic code in the car's computer. His advice was to make the same complaint every time I bring the vehicle in, and they will check for the code...once they see the code, they can apply the fix.

I've called Lexus Customer Service and made a complaint - they are supposed to get back to me next week.
Old 03-12-04, 01:19 PM
peaceful97
Driver School Candidate

Thanks blue_rx330 for your reply; so that is how Lexus deal with this problem. Please keep me post it on this problem and I'll also let you know if I ever have this problem fixed.

Quick Reply: 330 Power Rear Door Problem