RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Condensation in Headlite

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 07:07 AM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Condensation in Headlite

When we first took delivery of our RX330 I noticed that there was slight condensation in the right headlite. It quickly dried out and disappeared so I didn't pay much mind to it. I have not seen any condensation in either headlite since then.
However after having it detailed I noticed that theres a "haze", more like a cloudy residue in the right headlitethat is noticable only when stared at.

My question is, is this due to the condensation? If so, will the dealer replace the headlite under warranty, or will they give me hell?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Old 03-11-04, 09:55 AM
Vampire3eb
Driver School Candidate

I noticed the same thing in both of my headlights when I bought my used 99 RX300 about 4 months ago. I took it into the dealer hoping that they'd replace the headlights for free...but instead they just gave me a free carwash and that was it. They said that was all they could do The moisture really bugs me because at night my lights are hazed, and not as bright as they could be. But oh well what can ya do. Hopefully your dealer will just give you new headlamps.

Pat
Old 03-11-04, 12:04 PM
HiTechRX
Driver School Candidate

Late model Supras were known to sometimes have this affliction as well... knock on wood, mine hasn't yet, but the MIKV community did get enough requests into Toyota, that *most* dealers would replace them under warranty (within the new car warranty periods at that time). Since your RX330 is brand new, I would (politely) try to insist to your Lexus dealer that you somehow rec'd some defective assemblies. Fogged-over head light assemblies led to many upset Supra owners over the years. Hopefully we RX330 owners are not in for a repeat performance.

Regards,
- HiTechRX
Old 03-12-04, 04:25 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

My old IS300 had that problem; I thought it was cloudy from the inside, but it actually was on the outside that needed plastic detailer (Meguiars), and A LOT of elbow grease. Sort of like calcium build up? I couldn't understand it because all of my cars have been taken care of immacuately. No build up yet on the 330!
Old 02-19-07, 07:50 PM
fulflaps
Driver School Candidate

Default codensation in headlight

Yes,I have had this problem 3 times.Once on the left and 2 times on the right.
It is covered under warranty.Lexus replaced mine all times.
Do not be weary about telling the service writer the problem.They see this all the time.
Old 02-19-07, 09:05 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

There are two different issues interweaved in this thread.

1. Haze on lense.

2. Moisture inside the lamp housing.

Haze: The lense is plastic and it gets dull over time. Plastix or similar product cleans it up. The effort is very minimal and the price of the product sure beats just a trip to the dealer.

Moisture: Condensation is relatively easy to spot. It looks exactly like a condesation on a glass with cold beverage .. only this is inside and you cant wipe it off. The moisture disappears when the light is tunred on and the lense gets heated up. Dealership should replace the lamp if you are still under warranty.

Salim
Old 02-21-07, 06:09 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that if you do a search of this in the archives, you will see that you are not alone. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a hidden recall on this issue. Regardless, I took my 18 month old 330 in and got a new headlight assembly on the right for this very issue. It is not uncommon. Just ensure that you have moisture and not just some hazing of the outer lens.

Iirc, a few dealers are trying to say that this is normal, provided that the condensation disappears after the headlights are operated. My arguement is how did moisture get into a sealed unit?

Gary
Old 02-21-07, 06:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Iirc, a few dealers are trying to say that this is normal, provided that the condensation disappears after the headlights are operated. My arguement is how did moisture get into a sealed unit?

Gary
The headlights are not sealed. They are vented headlights. Either way though I agree it is not normal for condensation to build up in the headlights. The only cars I've ever had condensation build up in the plastic headlights were my 3 Lexus cars.
Old 02-21-07, 07:22 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

According to my service writer, whose wife also has an RX 330, Lexus claims that light "fogging" is normal in high humidity (about the only kind we have), but it should disappear when the lights have been on for a few minutes, warming the enclosure. When droplets coalesce out of the "fog", then you have a problem - this level of water condensation is outside the normal range and should be brought to your dealer's attention. There is some evidence that this is a common problem with both RX's and SC's, and is normally handled by replacement under warranty.
Old 02-21-07, 08:54 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

I had condensation in my RX HL a week ago.. But I think it's gone now.. How can I reproduce them so Lexus will replace my HL. My warranty will expire this month.
Old 02-22-07, 08:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pick a good wet day - it looks like we have some coming in the next few days here in Texas. Leave your car out in the weather and drive it normally for a day or two. Keep the headlights off, if possible. After the cold front passes, go out and take a picture of the condensation in both of your headlights in the morning chill before you start the car or turn on the lights. Get up close to show the size of the beads of condensation.

If heavy condensation has been forming for some time, there will probably be faint traces (water spots) on the inside of the lens. Mine were pretty obvious, so photos weren't necessary. If you take your RX in for service on a cold, wet morning, the droplets will probably still be there - if you keep the headlights off. The DRL's probably aren't warm enough to drive off the moisture on their own.

If the headlights are dry by the time you arrive at the dealer, show the service guys the pictures. They probably won't argue with you anyway, since the issue is so common, but it helps to have evidence on your side.

I've found that establishing a relationship with one of the senior service writers - going to him (or her) every time you visit helps with warranty issues. If you act a little puzzled ("Should this be doing that?"), or concerned (I thought this might be dangerous . . . "), they will usually take pity on your ignorant self and do whatever work needs to be done under warranty. If you need to pull out photos, TSIB's or other documentation, you still have the option to demonstrate your automotive expertise later.

I've found a little pretended ignorance goes a long way . . . .

Last edited by Lil4X; 02-22-07 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-22-07, 08:35 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Generally, the rule of thumb at my shop is if it's 36-48 hours after a rain storm, we cover the headlamp assemblies under warranty, if there's still moisture in them, and (1) no sign of a front and/or side impact to car (2) no cracking/tampering of the headlamp lens. It's quite common on this model, although mostly 2004-05 RXs tend to suffer from internal moisture.

Lexus won't cover the yellow hazing you may see on the top edges of the lenses; I haven't seen too many RX models with this problem, unlike every other Lexus that uses polycarbonate headlamp lenses (which of course, is nearly every Lexus, except the inner lenses for the 1st-generation SC 300/400). You can clean and polish them, or hope that someone runs into the front of you by accident.
Old 02-24-07, 12:22 AM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nept_Mica
When we first took delivery of our RX330 I noticed that there was slight condensation in the right headlite. It quickly dried out and disappeared so I didn't pay much mind to it. I have not seen any condensation in either headlite since then.
However after having it detailed I noticed that theres a "haze", more like a cloudy residue in the right headlitethat is noticable only when stared at.

My question is, is this due to the condensation? If so, will the dealer replace the headlite under warranty, or will they give me hell?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
To follow-up on my original post, the dealer replaced the headlamp under warranty.
What I should have done was had BOTH of them replaced. A few months after having the right side headlamp replaced, the same issue occured with the left. This again was replaced under warranty.
Afterwards I had an issue with the alignment of the headlamp beams which took 2 separate service visits to rectify.
Old 03-14-07, 03:41 PM
ducks4
Driver School Candidate

I just got back from having both headlamps on my '05 RX330 AWD replaced under warranty because of condensation. Two items of interest here: First, it's a CPO vehicle that I've had for about 10 days - so maybe there's a difference to the dealer's pocketbook doing this to certify vs doing under warranty, and second, for grins I called a different dealer's parts dept that quoted a retail price of $1500 for one unit (AFS HDI). I think I'm glad to have the 3 years to 100,000 mile warranty, and whatever happened to the good old $10 sealed beam?
Old 03-14-07, 08:50 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

I need to have my front HL replaced due to condensation. Haven't got a chance to take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Condensation in Headlite