RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330: Adding Rear Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 04:16 PM
vonburkleo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 330: Adding Rear Parking Sensors

While purchasing our new RX330, I noticed several dealer RX330 loaner vehicles that had parking assist sensors in the rear bumper.

In "Google-ing" this, I found the following link:
http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/newsar...doc=lex0307221

It says:

"A Lexus Genuine accessory reverse parking sensor to protect RX330 against dents and scratches is also available.

Featuring four colour-keyed rear bumper-mounted sensors, the system takes the guess-work out of parking.

The reverse parking sensor detects objects from as much as 1.5 metres away, alerting the driver with a series of beeps within the cabin, which become more frequent as the object gets closer. "

Has anyone had these installed? What was the cost and how happy are you with the result?
Old 04-21-04, 07:34 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

I have these installed on my vehicle but they don't have any of the awkward looking circles on the rear bumper to show that you have them installed. Inside the vehicle behind the rear passenger window near the trunk, there are little leds that light up as well as a buzzer that signals when you are approaching close to an object. They work absolutely amazing when parking, but for some reason they always reach the steady beep sound when I'm reversing out of my driveway for example, which is extremely annoying. I don't know why it does this but it works perfectly when parking. The sensors were actually installed by other people brought in at my dealer and are after market. They are very professional with their work but I'm planning to have them deactivate it at my next visit because the sound is just irritating. I would recommend them if you do a lot of parallel parking or park in tight spots often. See if your dealer also installs similar sensors. They do not work as great as the ones that come directly from the factory. Those are MUCH better. In terms of cost, I had these thrown in when I purchased the vehicle. I don't think I can blame the people who installed them. There seems to be a glitch with the aftermarket parts. So if you can overlook the annoying beep and really want to have sensors, they do work great. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-04, 04:25 AM
tadeusz
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Parking Sensors

Anonymous Driver:

Sounds like you have the same problem as I.
I assume your sensors are not visible from the outside of the bumper? if so then you have 'Rostra Obstacle Sensing Syst*** made by Ross (http://www.rostra.com/ac-ross.asp). This system uses microwave technology and is one of the best systems on the market, except for CCTV. The Ross system has two sensors located inside the bumper and alerts you to obstacles as far away as 12 feet behind or next to the rear end of the vehicle. I assume you must be parking to one side of the garage, so that when you backout the sensors are picking up the side of the garage and/or the vehicle next to you and the alert goes off. I think the audio alert volume is adjustable.
Old 04-22-04, 10:54 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Yeah my sensors aren't visible from the outside. The only thing is that it seems to do that when nothing is behind me too. If I'm reversing straight back with nothing in sight, it still goes to the steady beep. Works perfectly when parking into a spot. Weird.