RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Chromed stock 18"s

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 07:53 AM
JFlo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not a given, provided that you clean them every couple of days. However, this is not a full-proof plan. I do not think that you should plan on getting this done a lot. I am considering it, and I know that I will just have to be carefull. Do not let the fact that you live in a colder environment keep you from getting the chrome. Instead just know that you will have to take better care of them. Do the wheels ... they look great!!! Just take care of them.
Old 07-10-04, 04:39 PM
jeffk
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my stock wheels with chromes - LOVE 'EM
Old 07-10-04, 04:50 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

oops - wrong user login.... try this one... to see my RX300 chromes
Old 07-10-04, 07:12 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally posted by jeffk
I replaced my stock wheels with chromes - LOVE 'EM

Thanks for the link to your pics! Hopefully it will be just what mine looks like after I buy the car and get it done! How do you feel about your black interior? I think I'm going with the light grey. Again ... that looks REALLY sharp! Thanks for confirming my imagination.

Saw a set in person today at the dealership as well and they were sweet ... they were on a Savannah Metallic. I think I'm waiting for an '05, but it gets more and more difficult each and every day to hold off!!!

Going for:

ONYX BLACK/Light Gray interior
Premium Plus
Heated Seats/RS Wipers/Headlamp Washers
Towing Pkg
18" (chromed later)
AFS (sounds like these will be available as a standalone option or packaged with the HIDs on the 05s, rather than only offered on the Performance Pkg like in '04 model)
Old 07-12-04, 08:48 AM
lho
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Husker4the
Thanks for the link to your pics! Hopefully it will be just what mine looks like after I buy the car and get it done! How do you feel about your black interior? I think I'm going with the light grey. Again ... that looks REALLY sharp! Thanks for confirming my imagination.

Saw a set in person today at the dealership as well and they were sweet ... they were on a Savannah Metallic. I think I'm waiting for an '05, but it gets more and more difficult each and every day to hold off!!!

Going for:

ONYX BLACK/Light Gray interior
Premium Plus
Heated Seats/RS Wipers/Headlamp Washers
Towing Pkg
18" (chromed later)
AFS (sounds like these will be available as a standalone option or packaged with the HIDs on the 05s, rather than only offered on the Performance Pkg like in '04 model)
Husker4the, are you in Lincoln, NE? because when you mention the Savannah Metallic with 18" Chromed, it is very familiar with the demo one that lexus of Lincoln has. Last Friday, the dealer let me take this one out for a whole day to work. The wheels look very sharp and the sale lady said it will cost about $1700. wow that is alot of change. We are in the progress of negotiating on the price.
Old 07-12-04, 10:14 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lho
Husker4the, are you in Lincoln, NE? because when you mention the Savannah Metallic with 18" Chromed, it is very familiar with the demo one that lexus of Lincoln has. Last Friday, the dealer let me take this one out for a whole day to work. The wheels look very sharp and the sale lady said it will cost about $1700. wow that is alot of change. We are in the progress of negotiating on the price.

Yeah ... I noticed it sitting there during the night on Friday and stopped and checked out the rims in person. Then I saw someone driving the car back to the dealership on Saturday afternoon. Was that you? The rims looked REALLY sharp. I think you can get the dealership to negotiate on those rims ... if not you can have them done MUCH cheaper than that. For one example, you can search ebay under OEM chrome RX 330. They'll send you factory 18" wheels chromed for $600 + taxes and shipping (I'm estimating NO MORE than $800) and you send them back your factory 18" rims in the same box. One downfall is only 4 chromed rims vs 5 if you have the dealer set it up, plus you'll have to arrange to have the tires changed on your own. You could probably look into what it would cost to chrome them somewhere locally, but I have no clue about that.

How has your experience been so far? What are you looking for? How was your all day test? Things you liked/disliked, etc? Nice to know there's someone else looking for one from the area on here. How did you hear Omaha & Lincoln were owned by the same group?

Nice talking to you!
Old 07-12-04, 10:29 AM
lho
Driver School Candidate

Yeah ... I noticed it sitting there during the night on Friday and stopped and checked out the rims in person. Then I saw someone driving the car back to the dealership on Saturday afternoon. Was that you? The rims looked REALLY sharp. I think you can get the dealership to negotiate on those rims ... if not you can have them done MUCH cheaper than that. For one example, you can search ebay under OEM chrome RX 330. They'll send you factory 18" wheels chromed for $600 + taxes and shipping (I'm estimating NO MORE than $800) and you send them back your factory 18" rims in the same box. One downfall is only 4 chromed rims vs 5 if you have the dealer set it up, plus you'll have to arrange to have the tires changed on your own. You could probably look into what it would cost to chrome them somewhere locally, but I have no clue about that.

How has your experience been so far? What are you looking for? How was your all day test? Things you liked/disliked, etc? Nice to know there's someone else looking for one from the area on here. How did you hear Omaha & Lincoln were owned by the same group?

Nice talking to you!
First, that was not me. I returned the vehicle about 5:30 Pm on Friday. We're the Asian couple driving the Silver 4Runner Sport. It was nice to know the price range for the wheels because I think that I might get it if I get a good deal on it.

The vehicle is nice eventhough it is a "chick car'. My wife drives it daily so it does not matter. I like everything inside but I'm not totally in love with the exterior YET. It will take time i bet. We are working on the price and I may test drive the MDX too.

We are Toyota family and I've talked to these people there and I remember they told me that they are the same ownership. Check out www.performanceauto.com for more infor.

Regards,
Old 07-12-04, 11:53 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Oh OK ... I thought you meant both Lexus dealerships were owned by the same people (Omaha and Lincoln). I knew Toyota and Lexus were owned by the same.

I agree with you on the RX330 ... I looked at everything else Acura, BMW X-5, Cadillac, etc. and it just seemed to be the best for what I need. I own a Ford Explorer Sport Trac currently and have been considering a car, so the RX330 seems like the best of both worlds. I don't need a 3rd seat and BMW repair can get awfully expensive down the road. I like the idea of Toyota reliability and Lexus service ... just not sure about driving such a NICE car if that makes sense. I'm a little younger as well so I think going with the Black exterior will make it feel sportier (at least in my mind ) and like I'm not driving a female's car as much. Otherwise I'd get the Silver b/c it wouldn't show dings, scuffs, and scratches as much ... think I'm sticking with the Black though (force me to keep it clean that way as well).

Good luck negotiating on the car you want!
Old 07-12-04, 12:12 PM
lho
Driver School Candidate

Oh OK ... I thought you meant both Lexus dealerships were owned by the same people (Omaha and Lincoln). I knew Toyota and Lexus were owned by the same.
No, no Both Lexus of Lincoln and Lexus of omaha is owned by one owner. This owner(s) also own(s) Performance Toyota of Lincoln and Omaha, performance Dodge of Lincoln / Performance Jeep and Chrysler of Omaha, Performance Jaguar / Land Rover / VW as well as Baxter.

I agree that Black ext. looks sportier and always new after wash/detail but it is hard to keep it clean. I'm owing my silver 4Runner and it hardly see dirty unless after i went off-road in the mud.
Old 07-12-04, 12:22 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lho
No, no Both Lexus of Lincoln and Lexus of omaha is owned by one owner. This owner(s) also own(s) Performance Toyota of Lincoln and Omaha, performance Dodge of Lincoln / Performance Jeep and Chrysler of Omaha, Performance Jaguar / Land Rover / VW as well as Baxter.

I agree that Black ext. looks sportier and always new after wash/detail but it is hard to keep it clean. I'm owing my silver 4Runner and it hardly see dirty unless after i went off-road in the mud.
OK ... thanks for the clarification. I am quite torn b/t the Onyx Black and Milennium Silver ... dunno what to do really. Love the look of the chromes on the Onyx Black ... Silver just seems a little wiser choice for the long run, but can't get over how nice the black looks.
Old 07-12-04, 01:34 PM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the black!!!!!!!

nothing beats the looks of a shiny, black ride. true, i have to use my california duster all the time, but thats a small price to pay to drive something that looks so nice. also, i got the black interior as well because i have two kids and dont want to have to worry about a dirty interior. people ask me why black in super hot las vegas, but i tell them with my tint and AC on all the time, its not the least bit uncomfortable. as for the chrome stock 18s, the dealer offered them to me at wholesale, although i cant quite recall the numbers. i agree they look nice, but i think silver actually looks more sportier, and im not into the bling factor anyway.
Old 07-12-04, 08:08 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Question JEFFKNET

Originally posted by jeffknet
to see my RX300 chromes
Did you dip your graphites?

Last edited by msilverIS; 07-12-04 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-13-04, 03:15 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

no - sold my graphites - used the $$ to offset the cost of replica chrome... I've got the OEM caps on 'em so no one can tell...
Old 08-01-04, 10:00 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lho
The sales mgr told me I could have the chromes for $1300 .... think he tried to say their cost to get them and installed (balanced, etc) would be $960 of so????? Probably a little bit of a fib, but guess they have to make money too. Another advantage of getting them through the dealer would be the factory warranty covers them as well for 4 years/50,000 miles as opposed to 1 year from the aftermarkets. I think the dealership gets these rims from the same type of place.

I negotiated on an '04, but have decided to wait ... I think I was getting about $3700 off of sticker on an RX with Prem +, 18s, Nav, etc (sticker $44,288). Seemed decent around here, but I just felt it was right to wait a little longer in the end.
Old 08-02-04, 05:27 AM
scottsRX
Driver School Candidate

I put stock H2 chrome oem rims on last summer and in one winter they looked like crap. Even after polishing they looked bad. We had about 5 snow falls here in NJ. So I say dont waste your money if in snows in your area of the country. If you get a set for summer only then you will need another set of tires also. You should just get aftermarket rims and tires IMO. or just say forget it.