RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Why won't Lexus.com let me build an RX330 with radar cruise and Perf. Pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-04, 03:13 PM
zeke013
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why won't Lexus.com let me build an RX330 with radar cruise and Perf. Pkg?

I have tried a bunch of different zip codes (to see pricing on these packages) and none of them allow me to select these packages? I'd like to build the vehicle I want online, and then fax the specs to several local dealers to get a low price. I'd rather not go into a dealer to have THEM price a car for me.

Anyone have a thought?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-04, 06:33 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't count on the Lexus web site... in other threads, we've found that the build feature contains some bugs.

Instead, go to Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book to get details on pricing, and build the car yourself. The nice thing about these two sites is that you can determine invoice price in addition to MSRP. Invoice is what you actually care about - you're not going to pay anywhere near MSRP. Both of these sites have the exact code numbers/letters for each option and color, so your dealer will know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

Also, don't be afraid to talk to the dealer. He's using the same prices as all three of the web sites. You'll get the same MSRP from all sources - it's just that the dealer will let you know how much he's willing to accept.

You're going to have to talk to the dealer to find out which combinations of options are being shipped right now. The way Toyota sells all of their cars is to break the country into regions (like Midwest, South, etc.) For each region, there are a set of "standard builds" for each car model. (Usually there are about 4 or 5 choices.) The standard builds are supposed to be based on market research, but I've always found that an option I'd like to have is not being shipped to my region. For example, I wanted laser cruise, but they didn't put it on any standard builds for the Midwest region. After reading the manual, I found out why: the laser cruise has to accurately reflect a light beam off the car in front of you. In the winter, that requires that your front bumper is clean AND the back end of the car in front of you is clean. That's a lot to ask!

If the option combination you want is not on one of the standard builds, you can place a factory order. When the RX330 was made in Japan, the lead time on a factory order was about 3 months. Now that it's made in Canada, you can take the boat trip out of the equation, and it should be more like 2 months.

Just about all combinations are available direct from the factory, although some options will require the presence of a certain package or other options. (All of the wiring and computers have to be there!)
I'm not aware of any such restrictions on the laser cruise control, although you probably need at least the Premium Plus package for many options. For the air suspension height control, I think you'll have to have the entire Performance Package (which also includes 18" wheels and the sequential automatic trans). The Performance Package has not been produced in large quantities (relative to the overall production run), so that will be harder to find without a special order.
Old 06-20-04, 07:53 PM
zeke013
Driver School Candidate

Thanks rxdriver!

I'll give edmunds a run and see what happens.
Old 09-29-04, 01:25 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I think kbb.com is better for pricing out a car.

The BUILD section of the Lexus Website only brings up the packages that are currently to be found on dealer lots in your area ... you can special order one how you want it (as long as it's a combo allowed).
Old 09-29-04, 06:39 PM
sherylking
Driver School Candidate

Default Certain options not available

I'm in San Diego and heated seats aren't available here -- for the obvious reasons. But I have a friend with back trouble who has them and says she loves the therapeutic effect! And I asked my dealer about the Performance Package (which includes the raising and lowering bit) and he said it's only available on a 4-wheel-drive model.
Old 10-26-04, 09:51 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Sherylking

I live in Cerritos CA and my dealer has 05RX's AWD with heated seats and rain sensing wipers.

Did you figure out the AC recirc thing?
Old 10-27-04, 06:31 AM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

It might not let you build the car in a certain configuration because a car like that isn't available at all, or isn't available in your area. There's a reason why they ask for your zip code...
BTW, the third party car auto sites that list pricing is only used as a guide. The invoice pricing that they advertise will never match the dealer's invoice. Certain makes will match invoice, but Lexus will not. The other thing is, in most cases the people configuring the cars are putting it to get a price based on the options that they want, not necessarily the way the car is equipped from the dealer. As a former employee of Lexus dealing with internet sales among other things, I had to deal with that nonsense all the time.

Last edited by Shoofin'GS; 10-27-04 at 06:38 AM.