RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How is Lexus service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 03:53 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is Lexus service?

My husband and I are shopping for a 2004 RX 330. With this purchase, we'll be a first time Lexus owners. Service is very important to us.

1. With reports of some first year bugs, such a tranny clunk and dash rattles..., I'm curious to know how has Lexus has been handling these issues?

2. I realize also that service can vary from dealer to dealer, so if any lives in the Orlando Florida area and can offer feedback about the Jimmy Bryant Lexus Service in that area, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Rebekah

Last edited by reb; 06-29-04 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 07:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I can tell you that not every RX330 has the transmission issue. Our Japanese built RX330 was purchased in November and has not exhibited that ailment.

There are a couple nagging issues that I don't care for but it doesn't alter the fact that this is a fine SUV and one of the nicest touring vehicles around. Ours is the 4wd with the Premium package. This is the best NAV system I've ever seen and I love it. The vehicle is averaging 22-23 mpg in combined city/hwy driving and gets 25-26 on the hwy.

The things I don't like are;

- Rear wiper doesn't clean properly. Seems like the spring holding the blade to the glass isn't strong enough. Lexus has no fix yet. Rain-X corrects the problem for a while.

- Paint is brittle and chips very easily. Not just a LEXUS issue, This is caused by the EPA regulations reducing the VOC emissions from the painting process. The auto industry turned to a water based paint to meet these regulations which is not as tough as solvent based paint. Don't tailgate and buy a touch-up paint pen.

- More wind noise than I'd expect from a luxury vehicle. Much of this noise comes from the air rushing by the huge side mirrors. Not anything all that bad but surprising for a LEXUS.

IMO, there is no finer mid-sized SUV on the market.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-28-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 09:32 AM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the service. they always greet me as i drive in...the same rep always takes care of me and not to mention, they treat you like a valued customer. much better than honda, but then of course, you are paying for such service with the sticker price. also, no charges for oil changes the first year i believe.
Old 06-28-04, 06:28 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Rebekah,

Hello and thank you for considering Lexus. The 2004 RX330 is a great choice! In addition to our many awards, IntelliChoice just awarded the RX330 a "Best Overall Value in the Intermediate Sport/Luxury over $31,000 catagory". Check it out at www.intellichoice.com.

Also, the first 2 services are covered by Lexus. This is the 30 day or 1,000 miles check up and the 90 day or 5,000 miles oil change. You can go to nay Lexus dealership and most of them,if not all, provide extra perks such as complimentary car washes and loaner vehicles. Please call your local dealer and ask what they offer.

And welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 06-28-04, 07:43 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: How is Lexus service?

lexus service = BAR NONE.

Originally posted by reb
My husband and I are shopping for a 2004 RX 330. With this purchase, we'll be a first time Lexus owners. Service is very important to us.
.......Rebekah
Old 06-29-04, 01:20 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

To everyone- Thank you for all your feedback. Glad to hear the positive experiences.

Hi jfelbab - Yes, I'm aware it's not every transmission. Sorry if my post implied that. I was also reading on another board that they have a tsb (upgraded software) that has resolved this, and the ones coming off the line now have this upgrade. Yes/no? My hubby and I have also test driven two RX 330's, and we have not experienced anything unusual in that area. My concern was more on how Lexus was to deal with stuff like this.... Apart from that, I have always been the type to tolerate a few first year bugs for the excitment of having a first year model. ;-)

Hi Longo - Thank you for your information. I have seen that intellichoice report. That in part was how I was able to convince my husband to consider this vehicle. Not that he's cheap, but he's not used to spending this kind of money on a car. So it helps that there's documentation out there on the great overall value. As they say, "the purchase cost primarily detemines what you get, and the ownership costs/depreciation determine what you actually pay..." or something to that effect.

You said: "Please call your local dealer and ask what they offer."

Do you think that what the local Lexus dealer service offers will be detemined by whether you purchased from them or not? We may just end up purchasing from a dealer a few hours away. We don't mind paying a little more ($300 to $400) to have a better local dealer relationship, but unfortunately, their quote is significantly higher.

Last edited by reb; 06-29-04 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-29-04, 05:34 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally posted by reb
To everyone- Thank you for all your feedback. Glad to hear the positive experiences.

Hi Longo - Thank you for your information. I have seen that intellichoice report. That in part was how I was able to convince my husband to consider this vehicle. Not that he's cheap, but he's not used to spending this kind of money on a car. So it helps that there's documentation out there on the great overall value. As they say, "the purchase cost primarily detemines what you get, and the ownership costs/depreciation determine what you actually pay..." or something to that effect.

You said: "Please call your local dealer and ask what they offer."

Do you think that what the local Lexus dealer service offers will be detemined by whether you purchased from them or not? We may just end up purchasing from a dealer a few hours away. We don't mind paying a little more ($300 to $400) to have a better local dealer relationship, but unfortunately, their quote is significantly higher.

Hi Rebekah,

I know it's a lot of money to spend on a car just for the car itself, but if you factor in "total cost of ownership", then I'm sure your husband will be able to see it really is a great value. You seem to be very well informed for a first time Lexus buyer, which is outstanding, IMO.

All Lexus service dealerships are great and you can go to any dealership for Lexus service. It sounds like you want to stay with your local dealer. Perhaps try to tell them that? (It's too bad you live all the way in Florida! I'd love to sell you a car.)

Good luck and let us know what get in the end.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 06-29-04 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 02:44 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

" It sounds like you want to stay with your local dealer. Perhaps try to tell them that?"

Actually, yesterday, we almost bought an RX 330 from the local dealer. We were finally able to negotiate the deal to around 300 more than I would have paid to the other dealer 2 1/2 hours away. We got all the way to the dealership, and the silver/blk RX 330 that was being "held" for us was not available!

They tried to sell us another color (gold), which I was all ready to go far, but my husband was just not interested. He thinks the silver/black looks more "masculine." And I thought it was suppose to be the women that were so concerned about color. ;-)

The good news is that the other dealer, down the road, still had the exact vehicle we wanted. So now it's supposedly being held for us (with no deposit), and we're planning on picking it up this Saturday. This time, we'll be sure to call right before we go in to make sure it's really there. He did promise it would be there; he'd said he'd even put it in the "sold inventory section" for us. Cross our fingers.

For those interested, I started up a new discussion on this board called "Taking delivery of a RX 330

Last edited by reb; 07-01-04 at 01:57 AM.