RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Are you being charged for a loaner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 11:07 AM
Hopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I charged?

I go to Servco Lexus of Honolulu. I've had three loaners--an RX330, a Toyota Camry, and an IS300. (I told them I would not take a Camry. It was gutless and smelled like smoke). I've always been told to refill the tank. Why would I be told that and the rest of you not? Is it because I'm not the original owner? But I have the extended Gold warranty....
Old 07-03-04, 01:00 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why am I charged?

Originally posted by Hopeful
I go to Servco Lexus of Honolulu. I've had three loaners--an RX330, a Toyota Camry, and an IS300. (I told them I would not take a Camry. It was gutless and smelled like smoke). I've always been told to refill the tank. Why would I be told that and the rest of you not? Is it because I'm not the original owner? But I have the extended Gold warranty....
No, that is normal. Lexus of Honolulu does not charge a fee for the loaner but they do ask you to refill the tank to where it was. They aways mark where the gas is on the loaner paper and you just need to refil it up to that mark or they will charge you for the gas later. Other than they you can drive the car all you want as long as you return it with the same amount of fuel. I'm the original owner of our RX330 so it has nothing to do with being a second owner or whatnot.
Old 07-03-04, 11:03 AM
Hopeful
Rookie

Default CK6speed

Yes, that's what I said, that I get told to put gas back in the tank. But apparently, others on the mainland do not have to fill their tank OR pay for a loaner. I guess Servco can do this since they have a monopoly here on the islands.
Old 07-03-04, 11:09 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down always charged

Lexus of Kearny Mesa in San Diego charges $10 for a loaner. So far I've gotten a Toyota Camary and a Toyota Tercel.

Pretty lame if you ask me. Before I bought my Lexus I thought I would get free loaners and they would be comprable to what I brought in, not some econo **** box.
Old 07-03-04, 04:43 PM
LexFather

Hmmm, for those not getting Lexi, you may have a real cheap dealer. Technically they are to provide loaners only for warrenty work and I think anything over 4 hours. Some dealers may act funny if you did not buy the car from them.But I've NEVER had a problem getting a loaner, even before I became involved with Clublexus, SELOC and the car scene.

Maybe they are out of loaners. I've had that happen where the dealer did not have any available until somebody brought one back (always worked out quickly).

I've never been asked to put gas in the car either. Talk to your serviceman, they can help. You just gotta ask sometimes and be persistent.
Old 07-03-04, 05:31 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which dealer is this? Let the bad name be known.

I have never been charged for a loaner. They don't even care about the gas. I do refill the gas I used, out of courtesy.
Old 07-03-04, 06:15 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer will put me in a loaner anytime I'm in for work, and it's always a Lexus, but they do charge $5 for the loaner, whether you have it a couple of hours or a couple of weeks. I've never needed to get a loaner, preferring instead to spend an hour in their cyber-lounge surfing the net and drinking their Starbucks coffee , so I don't know what the policy is on gas usage.

Last edited by jayskinner; 07-04-04 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 08:56 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmm, for those not getting Lexi, you may have a real cheap dealer. Technically they are to provide loaners only for warrenty work and I think anything over 4 hours. Some dealers may act funny if you did not buy the car from them.But I've NEVER had a problem getting a loaner, even before I became involved with Clublexus, SELOC and the car scene.

Maybe they are out of loaners. I've had that happen where the dealer did not have any available until somebody brought one back (always worked out quickly).

I've never been asked to put gas in the car either. Talk to your serviceman, they can help. You just gotta ask sometimes and be persistent.
In our dealers defence in Hawaii, it is the only dealer in the state so they really have a large backlog for loaner cars. There simply is not enough loarner cars for the amount of people wanting them. Since we have to make an appointment unless it is an emergency repair we often have to wait a few weeks for a loaner to become available. There is always a long wainting list. I can't remember if you really have to fill up gas if we get a Lexus loaner, but we definately have to fill up gas when we get the other Camry cars because Lexus is actually renting those cars from a nearby retal car place.
Old 07-03-04, 09:21 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by CK6Speed
In our dealers defence in Hawaii, it is the only dealer in the state so they really have a large backlog for loaner cars. There simply is not enough loarner cars for the amount of people wanting them. Since we have to make an appointment unless it is an emergency repair we often have to wait a few weeks for a loaner to become available. There is always a long wainting list. I can't remember if you really have to fill up gas if we get a Lexus loaner, but we definately have to fill up gas when we get the other Camry cars because Lexus is actually renting those cars from a nearby retal car place.
Makes perfect sense. I see Lexus has finally added HI and Puerto Rick to it's certified dealers on the website. Maybe they will pay them some more attention and help them out.
Old 07-04-04, 06:51 AM
LuvRX330
Driver School Candidate

Smile Charged for Loaner?

Although I'm sure the costs will be included in my regular service charges in the future, I have never been directly charged by Lexus of Carlsbad (Calif.) for a loaner. My service so far has been for free maintenance and warranty items and each time I have been provided quickly and courteously with a like RX330, fully gased and ready to go. My out-of-pocket so far has been $0. Lexus of Carlsbad also features a free car wash service for its customers at any time during service hours--no appointments needed. I would say my experience with this dealership, both in purchase and after-sale service, has been superb. I am not affiliated with this business--simply a satisfied customer.
Old 07-06-04, 03:39 PM
WaGoNiSt
Rookie

Just some info about courtesy loaners at Servco in Hawaii...

There are about 50-70 loaner cars in the inventory, mostly Lexus's but some Toyotas.

Loaners are for warranty work only, although they have been giving them to any service besides the 1000 mile service.

Currently there is a month long wait for loaners however in emergency situations they will try their hardest to get you a loaner. If they cannot, they will rent you a car from Enterprise.

They ask you to return the loaner with the same amount of gas that you got it with.

Problems the dealer has...

People don't want to return the loaners. They leave their cars with the dealer and keep using the new loaner even when their car has been finished

People smoke in the loaners even when told not to.

People damage loaners and refuse to take responsibility.

People complain about not getting Lexus loaners.

Maybe if customers realized that the loaners are a courtesy from the dealer and did not abuse the system, the dealer could be able to provide more for others.
Old 07-06-04, 04:34 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't understand what all the gripe is about.

You guys are getting a loaner and being asked to fill the gas that you used. If they don't ask you then the dealer probably has competition and it's a way of trying to get you to come back.

If you had driven your own cars you would have had to pump that much gas anyways. You don't expect them to pay for your gas do you? Why are you people crying because you are paying for the gas that you are using?

Those in the $5 charge area. People in your are have not filled up their gas and complained about being charged for the gas that they used. That's why there is a fee instituted. on these cars at $40 a fill up and on a fleet of 50 loaners being used every day they are filling up $1000 a day in gas just for 1/2 tank of fill up on each car. At $5 they are covering maybe 25% of what their actual gas expense. Not to mentione maintenance and cost of the vehicle itself and the abuse they take from people who just don't give a crap about the loaners.

IT"S $5bucks! goddammit!

stop being cheap people. If everyone filled up gas like they were supposed to and were gentle with the loaners and was careful with them, these type of things wouldn't have happened. Befriend a service dealer and ask them why they are charging the $5 in a nice friendly manner. They will tell you why.
Old 07-06-04, 07:32 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Charged for Loaner?

Originally posted by LuvRX330
Although I'm sure the costs will be included in my regular service charges in the future, I have never been directly charged by Lexus of Carlsbad (Calif.) for a loaner. My service so far has been for free maintenance and warranty items and each time I have been provided quickly and courteously with a like RX330, fully gased and ready to go. My out-of-pocket so far has been $0. Lexus of Carlsbad also features a free car wash service for its customers at any time during service hours--no appointments needed. I would say my experience with this dealership, both in purchase and after-sale service, has been superb. I am not affiliated with this business--simply a satisfied customer.
Thanks for the heads up, next time I have a long service being done I'm going to Lexus of Carlsbad instead of Lexus of Kearny Mesa. Who knows maybe I'll trade in the RX300 for a RX330 if I like the loaner!
Old 07-06-04, 10:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by VSsc400

stop being cheap people. If everyone filled up gas like they were supposed to and were gentle with the loaners and was careful with them, these type of things wouldn't have happened. Befriend a service dealer and ask them why they are charging the $5 in a nice friendly manner. They will tell you why.
I don't think most of us are complaing (At least I'm not) about filling up gas or paying a $5 charge. The original question was just asking who is being charged. I think most of us including myself just stated what the dealer in our area is doing.
Old 07-07-04, 06:26 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CK6Speed
I don't think most of us are complaing (At least I'm not) about filling up gas or paying a $5 charge. The original question was just asking who is being charged. I think most of us including myself just stated what the dealer in our area is doing.
correctly that statement was not directed at those who is not complaining. But you must agree with me that, there are a few here that are stating compalints.

Quick Reply: Are you being charged for a loaner?