RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First week with our new Rx 330 & Creak in the front dash.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-04, 10:57 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by stllex88
Part of the clicks that we hear I think are a function of the darn thing being so quiet.
Yes, my service advisor told me the same thing also, and that's what I would like to believe. Thing is I have been able to hear some of the creaks/clicks even with the radio on. In particular, the front dash would sometimes make a loud cracking noise, when going over bumps, so I'm really glad they were able to fix that one. As for the other two sounds (A pillar and underneath the seat), they're not as loud, but can still be heard even over other sounds.

I hope everyone here understands that the only reason I'm posting this information is to come up with a solution. Hopefully others with the same issues will also be able to benefit. We still enjoy driving the vehicle very much, and have no regrets making this purchase.

Last edited by reb; 08-07-04 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-06-04, 09:52 PM
stllex88
Driver

Keep posting! Anything I find will be posted as will if the dealer is able to fix it. The biggest problem I have it the damn carseat rattles when my son isn't in it. Before I take it in for the 1K or 5K service, I'm going to have to drive without it to see if there are others not attributed to it. I think I can make something other than the dash above the instrument pod rattle with the stereo, but it is extremely hard to identify. When I say make, I mean I observed it and then tried to repeat it. I'm not looking for problems per se.
Old 08-11-04, 10:15 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only complaint after taking delivery of our RX330 was the creaking dash... especially over bumps, etc. It was certainly more than you'd expect from a luxury car, much less a Lexus. At any rate, my wife mentioned it on our 1,000 mile service. We were told that it was related to our suspension (we have the adj. suspension) and special parts had to be ordered, which took a couple weeks for delivery.

I was skeptical that they knew what they were talking about, to be honest, but it hasn't creaked since they replaced those parts.

Our 5,000 mile service is now right around the corner....
Old 08-11-04, 10:26 PM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by XZLR8
We were told that it was related to our suspension (we have the adj. suspension) and special parts had to be ordered, which took a couple weeks for delivery. I was skeptical that they knew what they were talking about, to be honest, but it hasn't creaked since they replaced those parts.
XZLR8 - Can you offer any more information about what those suspension parts were? Is there a tsb out on this? Thanks.

Rebekah
Old 08-11-04, 10:56 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by reb
XZLR8 - Can you offer any more information about what those suspension parts were? Is there a tsb out on this?
I apologize for being so vague. I had to go dig out the paperwork, as my wife was actually the person who took the RX in and picked it back up. (After years of driving German cars and being the one to endlessly deal with the service department, it's kind of nice to have the wife handle that with no issues, but that's another subject entirely.)

Anyway...

On the initial paperwork when they ordered the parts, their comments read as follows:

"RATTLING NOISE IN DASH AREA - SPECIAL ORDERED 2 FRONT STRUT ASSY AND ENG COVER"

Then, on the paperwork from when the repair was actually completed, the following notes:

"ADVISE ON RATTLE FROM THE FRT OF THE VEHICLE. SOP PARTS HERE. CAUSE: 91/99 VEH MAKING RATTLING NOISES FROM FRONT SUSPENSION R&R FRONT SHOCK ASSY
1 48010-48040 CYLINDER ASSY, PNMT
1 48010-48040 CYLINDER ASSY, PNMT
1 51440-0E010 COVER ASSY, ENGINE U"

I don't know if that is helpful information or not, but I can tell you that it has seemed to fix our problem. I assumed that (especially given the need for parts to be "special ordered") it was related to having the Performance Package's suspension, but I don't think we were necessarily told that. My mechanical knowledge ends somewhere after refilling the windshield wiper fluid, quite honestly.

Best of luck to you though.