RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First week with our new Rx 330 & Creak in the front dash.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 10:42 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First week with our new Rx 330 & Creak in the front dash.

Well it's about one week since we purchased our RX 330, and we're really enjoying our new ride. The only small issue (imperfection) I've noticed is a creak coming from the front dash area right above the instument panel. It occurs primarily when accelerating or going over bumps. I can also duplicate the sound by pushing on the dash material above the instument panel.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, is there a fix for this yet? Other than that, everything has been perfect... so far. Thanks for any feedback. ;-)

Rebekah

Last edited by reb; 07-09-04 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-09-04, 11:53 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

well i duno if the one i experienced was the same. it was on a RX330 loaner car so i nvr bothered to find out where it came from. does it come from the top of the glove box, like right next to the windshield defroster?? i had a creak, but it was in my old RX300.
Old 07-10-04, 04:58 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

RX900 - Thanks for your feedback.

does it come from the top of the glove box, like right next to the windshield defroster??
No, it's coming from the dash area directly above the instrument panel and steering wheel. Also, it's intermittent. I think it may also be related to the temperature. I actually noticed it for the first time when bringing the vehicle back from being washed at our local Lexus dealer. The vehicle had sat out in the sun for while, after being washed. When I first started it up, I noticed the a/c was on the lowest setting.

I don't usually keep it on that low, so I figured this is something they do to keep cool while washing our vehicles in the hot sun, not to mention this is Florida. In any case, I'm now speculating that the creak may be related to a low a/c temperature juxtaposed with a lot of heat on the dash.

We took it out last night to drive, and we also noticed the creak in the very beginning. However, once the interior cooled down a bit..., the creak seemed to go away. This is not really something we're too worried about, btw, although we're hoping our dealer will be able to correct this in our first 1000 mile check up

Last edited by reb; 07-11-04 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-10-04, 10:11 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a TSB for this typical creak from the dash board. I am positive that it covers the problem you are having. Try to duplicate this problem to the dealer, and they will fix it for you. I hope you are enjoying your new lexus.

Cheers!

Tej
Old 07-13-04, 06:25 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

do you know this tsb please,thanks
Old 07-13-04, 06:45 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TSIB # NV006-03 is for a rattle coming from around the defroster vents.
There are a few other sources of dash rattles, but unfortunately, they have not been addressed by TSIB's. Several dealers have tried to fix them, though.

I've experienced a couple of minor dash rattles that seem to happen only in extreme hot or extreme cold conditions. Usually, things are fine.

If nothing else, turn up the radio.
Old 08-04-04, 05:51 AM
stllex88
Driver

Default Re: First week with our new Rx 330 & Creak in the front dash.

Originally posted by reb
Well it's about one week since we purchased our RX 330, and we're really enjoying our new ride. The only small issue (imperfection) I've noticed is a creak coming from the front dash area right above the instument panel. It occurs primarily when accelerating or going over bumps. I can also duplicate the sound by pushing on the dash material above the instument panel.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, is there a fix for this yet? Other than that, everything has been perfect... so far. Thanks for any feedback. ;-)

Rebekah
I have the exact same creak. Only one so far. Certain sharp bumps cause it, as does pushing on the dash directly above the instrument pod. Will have them check it at 1K. Did you get yours resolved?

Last edited by stllex88; 08-04-04 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 07:09 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

They stopped the dash creak by putting insulation between the instrument panel and the dash. If they do that for you, make sure they trim or push it back so it doesn't stick out along the edges. The insulation stuck out a little on mine and I had to send it back into their shop twice, before I was satisfied with the way it looked.

I think they thought I wouldn't notice, since it's the same color as the dash. However, the texture of it is slightly different, so I thought it looked a little tacky. I'll also add that I'm very picky about stuff like this.

Should also add that before my 1k check up another creak (more like a buzz) arose, coming from either the driver door or the A pillar. The paperwork states that they insulated this area also, but this hasn't completely solved that one, accept for that I don't hear it as often as I did before. I'll deal with that one at the 5k check up. Not too worried about it at this point; although it is a little disconcerting to be dealing with creaks and buzzes in a vehicle of this caliber.

Last edited by reb; 08-06-04 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 08:29 AM
Traturn
Driver

Part of the 5,000 mile service is to yank the dash and re-insulate it.

Its very common, mostly on Jap built 330's - the canadian ones just have bad radiators.
Old 08-04-04, 08:35 AM
stllex88
Driver

Thanks for the update. Good to know it can easily be fixed. Given thermal expansion and contraction, it's hard to get a vehicle perfect. Although as obvious as this one is, you'd think it would have been corrected by now at the plant. It's when it can't be fixed that upsets me. I am guessing finding sources of squeaks, creaks, and rattles can at times be more difficult than tearing apart and engine.

Does Lexus warrant adjustments for squeaks, creeks, and rattles for the full 4yr/50000mi? At one time, I think some domestic and less prestigious brands limited "adjustments" to 12mo/12000.
Old 08-04-04, 11:12 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Traturn
Part of the 5,000 mile service is to yank the dash and re-insulate it.

Its very common, mostly on Jap built 330's - the canadian ones just have bad radiators.
I'd highly question the validity of both statements. The 5,000 mile service has nothing to do with the rattle discussion, other than someone may coincidently get the rattle fixed along with the 5,000 mile service. I have a Canadian-built RX 330 that has intermittent dash rattle symptoms that I'm working with my dealer on. We're still analyzing the exact cause, as neither they nor I want to just pull the dash to insulate the defroster nozzles, when it actually may be an underhood cowl issue causing the rattle.
Old 08-04-04, 02:43 PM
Traturn
Driver

I should have used a sarcastic emoticon.

I have seen dozens of TO equipped NAP RX 330's with under 5,000 miles be out of coolant with a leaking radiator.

Of the 50 or so RX330 dashboards that i've seen out of the vehicle for a dash rattle, I do not remember seeing one that was not a JPP.
Old 08-06-04, 05:12 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Default Clicking sound from under the driver seat

To add to the list here: in the last few days, we've been hearing a clicking sound coming from underneath the driver's seat. It first started with an occassional click, when turning corners or braking, but now it happens quite frequently with a few clicks at a time when turning, breaking or accellerating. Anyone else experience this?

This vehicle would be perfect were it not for all the creaks and clicks. Oh well, hopefully this will be the most we have to worry about.... :-)

Last edited by reb; 08-06-04 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-06-04, 05:18 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clicking sound from under the driver seat

Originally posted by reb
To add to the list here: in the last few days, we've been hearing a clicking sound coming from underneath the driver's seat. It first started with an occassional click, when turning corners or braking, but now it happens quite frequently with a few clicks at a time when turning, breaking or accellerating. Anyone else experience this?

This vehicle would be perfect were it not for all the creaks and clicks. Oh well, hopefully this will be the most we have to worry about.... :-)
I experienced it. I took it in and they pulled the driver's seat out and insulated soimething in the seat or floor rails. I only hear it intermittently now, but I attribute that to being a big guy. Smaller people in the driver seat don't cause it to creak.

Last edited by jayskinner; 08-06-04 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-06-04, 10:00 AM
stllex88
Driver

Part of the clicks that we hear I think are a function of the darn thing being so quiet. Around town, there's only a slight amount of road noise, mostly coming from the Michelins. Otherwise it's quiet. Doesn't excuse them being there, just makes them that more noticeable. When you reach highway speeds, the road noise is subdued by general interior noise that comes from travelling 70MPH. Regarding the road noise, I'd swear the door is slightly cracked open - that's what the road noise sounds like. Yet when travelling past other vehicles, you know that's not the case because you would hear them more as they go by. Weird.

Millenium Silver + NXT + rainstorm = still clean looking RX330

Quick Reply: First week with our new Rx 330 & Creak in the front dash.