RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 Rear Seat Entertainment System Display Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 10:22 PM
ian rogers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 330 Rear Seat Entertainment System Display Problem?

Anyone out there exeprienced design floor with the rear seat entertainment display screen flopping forward during operation i.e. vibration or going over bump. My son is getting seriuosly irritated in having to push the display back so that he can view the screen - Lexus say that is how the display has been designed - obviously not with kids in mind
Old 07-29-04, 08:59 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Welcome to CL!

Welcome to CL Ian, we hope you enjoy your experience here!
Originally posted by ian rogers
...Lexus say that is how the display has been designed...
Anytime a dealer tells me that a problem is designed that way, or "They're all like that", I get suspicious. No one designs a RSES screen to be so loose in its mount that it swings up so far as to interfere with viewing when you hit a bump. My screen is tight enough in its mounts to allow it to be positioned at any angle and stay put. I think a bump big enough to move that screen would also raise a good knot on my head as my skull encounters the roof. Hope that hasn't been your experience.

I'd get a second opinion - from another Lexus dealer, if necessary. Too bad yours is too busy to be bothered with your problem. It's likely he may not be busy for long if he treats other customers in such a dismissive manner. Anyone else with the factory RSES having the same problem?
Old 07-29-04, 09:29 AM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

Cool

I don't have a problem with the Rear Entertainment System brackets but I'm curious to learn how to "manipulate" the system to allow the DVD to play on the front Nav screen while the car is in motion. My wife, front seat passenger, would love to watch a movie up front while the kids are enjoying their movie in the back.

If anyone knows how to do this, please advise.
Old 07-29-04, 10:11 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Default DVD42

Welcome to CL, kogutr! We get lots of people who want to do just that (me included). For now, there are some issues that may become court battles over people viewing movies in the front seat. For years it has been illegal in most states for an "entertainment device" (TV, video game) to be viewable by the driver - even in the front seat, in some jurisdictions. Such connections are possible, and work rather well, but are expensive.

I'd suggest a DVD-enabled notebook and a headset, or a portable DVD player. With the rise of DVD-viewing accidents now being reported, it's not worth going to the expense of putting an RGB breakout box in your system to view movies on the NAV screen. Law enforcement may well start targeting vehicles with visible monitors in the front seat even more heavily than they are now, and fines may get pretty stiff in response to headlines. A separate player can be held on the lap, out of sight of the law, and there might be some "plausibile deniability" on that "viewable by the driver" issue.

Besides, unless your wife actually likes Barney, she has the option of watching another movie that way.

Again, welcome to ClubLexus!

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-29-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 11:58 PM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem with my RSES screen getting budged out of the viewing position when I hit a big enough bump. I've been meaning to have the dealer tighten the swivel screws, just not that big of a priority, but I'm sure there is a way. Its easy enough for me to reach up and push it back but it does get irritating. Will probably happen 5-6 times during a 90 minute movie, or should I say cartoon!

Cole
Old 07-30-04, 08:17 AM
ian rogers
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by ColeRX
I have the same problem with my RSES screen getting budged out of the viewing position when I hit a big enough bump. I've been meaning to have the dealer tighten the swivel screws, just not that big of a priority, but I'm sure there is a way. Its easy enough for me to reach up and push it back but it does get irritating. Will probably happen 5-6 times during a 90 minute movie, or should I say cartoon!

Cole
Old 07-30-04, 04:23 PM
ian rogers
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by ian rogers
Thanks you Guys for the information. Ironically the dealer passed me on to Lexus Customer Satisfaction department who maintained that there was nothing further that they were prepared to do in finding a fix for this problem since their District Manager was adamnat that this is how the displays are designed- i.e take it or leave it attitude! I will get a second opinion from another Lexus dealer althogh I do not think this is a simple "tightening up of the Alumn screws" fix.
I am kinda disaapointed and surprised at Lexus's attitude....I would have thought Lexus Customer Service would have gone a little further in trying harder to resolve the problem - so if you have a problem with your display please let your dealer know!! the more complaints they receive the more likely they will be to acknowledge that there is a problem.
Old 07-30-04, 05:11 PM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised and disappointed that your dealer had that attitude. I will definitely report the problem next week. I'll let you know what my dealer says....

Cole
Old 07-30-04, 08:24 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Lightbulb Maybe mine's different?

Hey guys, I was just fooling around with my RSES tonight and found that my screen actualy swings into a detent position when it is all the way down against the stop - nice and secure. Since I'm not usually the one who uses the rear screen, I hadn't really remembered that. Ian and Cole, do yours work this way, or do they depend solely on friction to hold them in place. My 330 was probably one of the first imported from Japan in the spring of '03, so it could be different than the current models coming out of Canada. Any ideas?
Old 07-31-04, 10:18 AM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I was just fooling around with my RSES tonight and found that my screen actualy swings into a detent position when it is all the way down against the stop - nice and secure

That's the position where my screen gets budged out of if I hit a big enough bump. For having nice weather out here in CA, the roads really suck! So I end up pulling it back to that rear-most position several times during a Disney movie or a SpongeBob DVD!

Lil4X- my RX330 was delivered last October and is also from Japan. Sounds like your RSES screen is a little tighter. I'm going to report this to my dealer and see what they can do. If I get the same response as Ian received, then I will be seriously disappointed. Just doesn't seem that hard to me. I'd do it myself but I don't want to risk the warranty coverage if I screw it up!

Cole